WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    The Rutgers student that got et last year had 4 in there group, they scattered and then there were none.
    Quote Originally Posted by www.nj.com
    group of hikers, who split up and fled just shortly before Patel was killed, authorities say
    That's pretty stupid but I suppose a bunch of people might just decide to flee if they didn't know what to do. I guess not everybody's heard of "safety in numbers."
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-12-2016 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    That's pretty stupid but I suppose a bunch of people might just decide to flee if they didn't know what to do. I guess not everybody's heard of "safety in numbers."
    maybe there only experience to draw from was the old joke "don't worry if you can't out run the bear, just be sure you can out run your friend.

The more I think about it (over the years) it's probably a good idea to carry some bear spray and get some respect back, seems like there's always a few bears that have lost their wild side and fear. Weight shouldn't be a concern for an issue like this, but many will scoff at the extra 18 oz. hmm?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs down You miss a MAJOR point

> The Rutgers student that got et last year had 4 in there group, they scattered and then there were none

They STARTED as a group of four, but then they did two of the STUPIDEST things you can do when you meet a bear: (1) they ran away and (2) they separated from each other.

If they had stayed together as a group of four and not run, they would have gotten some great video. Instead, one of them ended up dead.

That old bit, "I don't have to out-run the bear, I just have to out-run YOU!" is the WORST possible advice about handling bear encounters.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

^ Yeah. In general they're not very scary. But everybody says you have to watch out for stalking or predatory bear behavior. And never, ever back down or run, except to walk backwards away from a threat display. But that's a display and is easy to spot.

maybe there only experience to draw from was the old joke "don't worry if you can't out run the bear, just be sure you can out run your friend.
    Yeah, it sucks hiking solo.

I agree about the weight in general. It depends what you think you can get away with, I suppose. They really seem to be afraid of knocking hiking poles together, so that always made me feel safer. It was that one big one, that just kind of looked at me when I started knocking the poles together, that made me realize that maybe most of it is just to make ME feel better, LOL. So I just left the spray back home since I was hoping to hike in mid-May, but now I'm delayed again, so I might get something to make myself feel better again.

edit/disclaimer: I've seen a lot of bears in the park, never had a real problem, and am no expert on how much/often they approach or raid the shelters on the ridgeline. I can tell you where to find bears, but it will mostly be in the coves at lower elevations, on trails that few people use--the places where a mile or two from the trailhead you're all alone. Just like you'd expect, I think.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-12-2016 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

That old bit, "I don't have to out-run the bear, I just have to out-run YOU!" is the WORST possible advice about handling bear encounters.
    i agree, in fact I could 't agree more.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Dumb idea. The Bears will become habituated to humans feeding them and lose their fear and respect of humans and become another poor welfare class unable to fend for themselves. We already have generations of people in this country dependent on handouts. We are the only country where poor people are fat.
    Where did you get that fact?
    I am from England, was poor and fat......

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlaze View Post

Bear bites Appalachian Trail thru-hiker in the Smokies
    WBIR.com
    GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK - A bear bit a sleeping Appalachian Trail thru-hiker Tuesday night in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The 49-year-old man was sleeping in his tent near Spence Field shelter when the bear bit him in ...

More...
    Moral of the story...

Don't stash your Snickers in your Knickers !

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > allowing dogs would serve as some deterrent while alerting hikers that a bear is near

Unfortunately, bears and dogs are NOT a good combination.
    One person almost died because he did not understand that
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1973134
    Same thing happened on a trail that I hiked frequently up in Cordova,Alaska.
    Only this time a lady had let her dogs off the lead. When they returned, they were being chased by a big brown bear that decided to attack the woman several times.
    Somehow, she managed to make it a mile and a half back to her car at the trailhead and drive to the hospital!
    Ha! Still want to let your dog go off for a run?!

Default Re: "Bear Bites Appalachian Trail Hiker in the Smokies" headline

maybe their only experience to draw from was the old joke "don't worry if you can't outrun the bear, just be sure you can outrun your friend.
    I don't think you should joke about something this serious. You wouldn't be laughing if you got your smokies bitten!

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I don't think you should joke about something this serious. You wouldn't be laughing if you got your smokies bitten!
    much as I like to joke around, I wasn't jokin' many don't have a clue what to do when they encounter wild life, everything from a psychotic squirrel to a "awe, look at the yogi bear eatin' that ice cream cone, he must be so hungry, let's give him some Doritos"

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    We already have generations of people in this country dependent on handouts. We are the only country where poor people are fat.
    Fat, and with a mouth full of gold teeth and wearing $300 sneakers, and with a big-screen TV in every room of the house.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Fat, and with a mouth full of gold teeth and wearing $300 sneakers, and with a big-screen TV in every room of the house.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    well, I don't have a TV in every room...ma brotha, and they ain't real golds, mines is lam-inates' veri fronch.

...you sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If the AT route could be transitioned to the BMT for a period of say 4-5 years. This would allow the AT time to heal. After said cool down period, it would be easy to flip flop the official route of the AT from said AT, to BMT alternating years. Giving a 1 year cool down period every 365 days. Otherwise, the same problem is just going to transfer to the BMT route
    that's a pretty cool idea. how realistic is it? I couldn't guess..

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I can see that happening with a little yap-yap dog, but get a couple of these and the bears will stay away

Nothing more beautiful then a couple of well bred Ridgebacks... Good looking pups...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Let's not forget the butt load of tattoos.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/appal...bear/185579577What are the odds he had food in his tent?
    What are the odds is actually happened? Just asking the question...

Time to stop being derogatory to poor people folks, the thread is about bears.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Given the amount of use GSMNP, I wonder if this type of incident will increase and cause the Park to consider limiting the number of people into the park at a given time or limiting those who camp there.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++