WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th

Default Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th is upon us once again, and this time Jason Vorhees is pissed, it seems he's been forgotten, so a geography lesson is in order. The movie Friday the 13th took place at "camp crystal lake" (which is really 'sand pond' in northern NJ) and sand pond is at camp Nobe-Scobo where the movie was filmed and still operates today but a stones throw off the Appalachian Trail. Trivia or trivial, you decide, just remember while hiking in the woods this weekend to look over your shoulder while passing near nobe-scobo. Happy hiking!

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Man! Why is this not in the guidebooks!?

Opening scene filmed in Blairstown along main street!
    RUNT ''13''

The other white meat

No-Be-Bo-Sco stands for "North Bergen Boy Scouts" and can be reached from the Brink Road Shelter going south on the access road.

Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    No-Be-Bo-Sco stands for "North Bergen Boy Scouts" and can be reached from the Brink Road Shelter going south on the access road.
    didnt know that, and thanks for fixin' my lydexic verbiage, I must have looked at that 3 times and still muffed it.

I'm curious if any of you old time hikers remember when this was filmed and if there was a buzz along the trail?

I'm more of a Blair Witch fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I'm more of a Blair Witch fan.
    pretty darn good movie for the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    pretty darn good movie for the budget.
    Disagree. I remember walking out of the theater wanting my money back.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Disagree. I remember walking out of the theater wanting my money back.
    oh the horror. I thought the sequel blew, but then most sequels do...felt "The Godfather 2" that was awesome!

History of Friday the 13th

The superstition around this day is thought to have come about during the Middle Ages, and may have Biblical origins.

Some historians have claimed it was the day on which Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, the great flood began and the builders of the Tower of Babel.
    In the New Testament there were 13 people present for Jesus's last supper on Maundy Thursday, the day before Christ's crucifixion on Good Friday.
    Geoffrey Chaucer made reference to the apparent unluckiness of the day, recording in his Canterbury Tales that it was bad luck to start a journey or a project on a Friday.

One of the Knights Templar CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

On Friday October 13th 1307 Philip IV of France arrested hundreds of the Knights Templar.
    In his novel Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown cites the 14th century execution of Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay, which took place on Friday the 13th. He cursed the Pope and the King of France, and this spread misfortune down the ages.
    It is also possible that the publication in 1907 of Thomas W. Lawson's popular novel Friday, the Thirteenth played a part in disseminating the superstition. In the novel, an unscrupulous stock broker takes advantage of the superstition to create a Wall Street panic on a Friday the 13th.

The Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci

A numbers game

The number 13 has been considered unlucky for many years, even before Christ. The number 12 is historically considered the number of completeness, while its older cousin, 13, has been seen as an outlier.
    There are 12 months of the year, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 hours of the clock, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles of Jesus, 12 Descendants of Muhammad Imams, among many incidences of the pattern historically.
    In many Western countries tall buildings are missing the 13th floor. In China the fourth floor and in some cases all floors with the number four are left out of Chinese buildings.
    Houses often do not have a number 13, and many hotels, including the Carlton in London, miss out a thirteenth floor.
    It is considered very unlucky for thirteen people to dine together, and the first to rise will reach serious misfortune - a superstition upheld by US President Roosevelt. He also refused to travel on Friday the 13th.
    Paranoid Britons

In Somerset, it is said that whoever turns a bed on a Friday turns ships at sea. In Cumbria, babies born on a Friday were laid on the family Bible.
    In some areas, calling a doctor for the first time on a Friday is a certain omen of death.
    Cutting hair and nails on a Friday is a certain path to misfortune, and many couples will refrain from marrying on a Friday.
    Dr Caroline Watt of the University of Edinburgh says that it is the belief in the Friday 13th superstition that could, in fact, prove the greatest risk to the average person:
    “If people believe in the superstition of Friday the 13th then they believe they are in greater danger on that day. As a result they may be more anxious and distracted and this could lead to accidents. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
    “It is like telling someone they are cursed. If they believe they are then they will worry, their blood pressure will go up and they put themselves at risk.”
    The fear of Friday the 13th has a name

Paraskevidekatriaphobia - from the Greek words paraskeví (meaning 'Friday'), and dekatreís (meaning 'thirteen'). The fear of the number 13 itself is called triskaidekaphobia.

I'm a "Meatballs" fan myself.
    "It just doesn't matter"

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAH!!!!!! you got me

Quote Originally Posted by ny breakfast View Post
    AAAH!!!!!! you got me
    You'll have that!

Boo! Anyone hiking this weekend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Boo! Anyone hiking this weekend.
    Headed out Sunday for a stretch of the FT...highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Headed out Sunday for a stretch of the FT...highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's...
    Excellent, big foot country, have a great hike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++