WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Guthook or awol digital guide?

I'm in preparations for my sobo thru and would like some info as to which guide is more helpful or user friendly. Thank you in advance.

I used both last year on my thru. They have different uses. You definitely want one of the AWOL versions, either paper or pdf. It has more in depth info on services, ie. shuttles, supply, etc. Guthook's is a nice electronic compliment. It has pictures, and the GPS is great. Nice to have a little arrow locator on really foggy days, or to look at a pic of the next few water sources and decide if they'll be good or dry when you get there. People are starting to use the chat log on it, I got some good tips a couple times there.

That said, electronics means you'll need a charging source good enough to get you through the HMW.

I picked up an ankor 20000 mah battery pack supposed to be able to recharge my iPhone 5c 4-6 times. I do still intend a hard copy though probably awol sobo guide

Images

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with Awol's. With Guthook, I do know that you have to buy 11 sections to get the whole AT and if you buy them separately, they are $8.99 apiece. What is the cost of Awol's?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wails is $20 something for both odd and book. Guthook is $59.95 for whole trail.

*awols not wails

Ouch pdf not odd

I have Guthooks, AWOL, electronic and ATC guide paper. AWOL and the ATC have pretty much identical information, the mileage may differ by 1/10 mile here and there. Guthooks works in airplane mode so it saves battery power. I'm using them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I use paper AWOL and the Guthook trail app. Both are good, but I just love the GPS on Guthook. Guthook also has a comment section that can be very helpful. I would get both.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

I use both when sectioning. As others have noted the GPS feature on Guthook is awesome. I love being able to determine exactly where I am. I probably use Guthook on the trail 90% of the time but it's nice to have a backup if needed.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    I use both.
    +1
    If I had to use just one, it would Awol's, plus the AT track loaded into the GAIA app I already have on iPhone. But Guthook has a great app and I would use both since they compliment each other. In a similar vein, for JMT I found it useful to have both Erik the Black's book and Guthook's app.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

I use both. Guthook is excellent for tracking progress and seeing what's ahead of your specific position and how far you've come from a specific point. It will not inform you of cool stuff coming up on the trail though (ie- The Gnarled Oak above Bly Gap, Jacob's Ladder, etc) so I would study the AWOL guide to be aware of what's coming up. If Guthook added more landmarks and other stuff I'd probably never look at AWOL's guide.

I have not looked into AWOL's app, but someone showed it to me on the trail and it looked worth checking out.

Thank you everyone for your input. I went ahead and got both guthook and awols guides print(awol)and digital.

++ New Posts ++