WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waterfalls and Bears of Satterlee Run (PA)

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...ee-run-sgl-36/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/492395...h/26809208952/

I recently visited this place of amazing beauty, truly remarkable. Located in SGL 36 between New Albany and Towanda, Satterlee Run has carved a gorge with stunning waterfall glens. There were about 8 or 9 waterfalls, and two streams met with waterfalls. There were slides, pools, and the remnants of an old mill dam. In terms of the setting, looking up the two waterfall glens rivaled Ricketts Glen.

The terrain was steep and difficult, as was hiking around the falls, negotiating ledges and cliffs. The grottos were so beautiful, with moss draperies, hemlocks, and fresh buds.

As I was walking up the creek, the ground exploded as a black mass suddenly rose up and moved with incredible speed, hunching close to the ground. It was a bear. I looked up in the tree to see something, I thought it was a porcupine at first, but soon realized it was three cubs. I retreated, scanning the forest for the bear. The bear and cubs were about 20-30 feet away when I first saw them, they obviously saw me long before I saw them. If the momma bear ran towards me, I'd have no time to react. I was oddly calm about the whole incident. It was ironic that the bear's deathly fear of me saved me from harm, or worse.

I then stopped by to see Deep Hollow Falls, the water glistening in the bright sun. Next, I explored Chilson Run to see if there were any waterfalls. There weren't, but I did happen upon an old growth hemlock forest that was surprising and impressive. There were also large birch, maple, and oak trees. It offered some serenity after the excitement of Satterlee Run.

Over the last several months, I've been determined to explore PA's hidden beauty. I've seen Bar Bottom Hollow, Rollinson Run, Kellogg Mountain, Deep Hollow rock maze, vista, and falls, Frozen Run Gorge, Devil's Falls, McIntyre Wild Area vistas, Emerald Forest, Ticklish Rock, and Lehigh Gorge. My journey has culminated with Satterlee Run-one of PA's crown jewels. The beauty of this state is beyond our imagination.

Beautiful... Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wow, gorgeous. I've run into momma bear on the trail a few times. Definitely gets the pulse going.

What a great place, many thanks for sharing it with us.

++ New Posts ++