WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default June 21-25. Any section will do.

Hey gang, I am trying to plan a 4 or 5 day hike June 21 through 25. I have only done a few days on the AT and am itching to get back out. I have done a lot of hiking in the midwest, which is obviously flat, so I am guessing my daily milage will be around 10-12 miles per day. I'm driving east from the Chicago area, so it is about a 12 hour drive to most of the AT for me. (I'm planning on leaving IL on June 20 really early in the am, so I should reach my destination by 5 or 6 pm June 20, that is why I was planning on starting June 21).

-Tony
    **Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.**

Journal Entries
    Images

That may be do-able for me, Tony. I'm itching to get back out, too. I'm in Indiana, and could split the gas with you, too. PM me and stay in touch as my June schedule firms up.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hope to be out that week as well, but if I'm further south may I make a suggestion? Indian Grave Gap (just north of Erwin) NOBO to US 19E (43 miiles). You get Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, and the Roan highlands in what should be peak bloom for the rhodos and flame azaleas. You'll cross 5 balds and can finish it off with a sweet breakfast at Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel. It's worth looking into!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I hope to be out that week as well, but if I'm further south may I make a suggestion? Indian Grave Gap (just north of Erwin) NOBO to US 19E (43 miiles). You get Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, and the Roan highlands in what should be peak bloom for the rhodos and flame azaleas. You'll cross 5 balds and can finish it off with a sweet breakfast at Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel. It's worth looking into!
    Jump-which section are you thinking of doing if you can get out that week?
    **Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.**

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd go anywhere south of I-70 in western Maryland, or even start there and head north. The drive to Gatlinburg isn't bad from the Chicago area, and I would consider having a shuttle take us north from Newfound Gap and drop us off so we could hike back to the vehicle. I'd also consider doing Springer, the approach trail, and whatever mileage we could get in for that time frame. That would actually allow me to avoid the area when I start my thru. I would love that. Bottom line is, put me anywhere on the AT, and I'll be a happy hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by appompa255 View Post
    Jump-which section are you thinking of doing if you can get out that week?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I'd go anywhere south of I-70 in western Maryland, or even start there and head north. The drive to Gatlinburg isn't bad from the Chicago area, and I would consider having a shuttle take us north from Newfound Gap and drop us off so we could hike back to the vehicle. I'd also consider doing Springer, the approach trail, and whatever mileage we could get in for that time frame. That would actually allow me to avoid the area when I start my thru. I would love that. Bottom line is, put me anywhere on the AT, and I'll be a happy hiker.
    Either way is fine with me if you can make it. GA will be really hot, we might be better off starting further north.

**Update** As of today, 5/23/16, myself and another hiker plan to hike SoBo from Dickey Gap to Damascus starting the 3rd week of June.

You might find that Pearisburg VA is closer than most trailheads. I know from MI it's just a bit further than Chambersburg PA or I70 MD (closest to me). I will be doing thee dsys in SNP those days myself (Compton Gap to Big Meadows). Be advised you may be out on hike naked day. ;-)

Thanks for the warning on Naked Hike Day. Yeah we are hiking from Dickey Gap SoBo to Damascus now. About a 10-11 hour drive not including stops.

++ New Posts ++