WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: BSP Questions

Default BSP Questions

I just finished 5 days backpacking Isle Royale NP. Last year I did a 5 day Hermit Loop in the Grand Canyon. I'm now thinking about trying BSP/HMW next year. I was considering a couple options.

1: Summit Katahdin up and down the Hunt trail, camp at Katahdin Stream, hike out to Abol Bridge, and then hike south to Monson.

2: Start at Roaring Brook, camp at Chimney Pond, summit Katahdin from there, descend to camp at Katahdin Stream, and then hike out to Abol Bridge and on to Monson.
    Option 1 summit day is 3 miles longer with 1800 ft more elevation gain, but can be done as a day hike, leaving gear at the campground (I think). Option 2 requires summitting with all my gear (I assume), but I was hoping that would not be unreasonable as it has so much less elevation gain and mileage on the summit day, and I would only need to carry one day of food as I would arrange a food drop at Abol Bridge the following day. I would also like the option of going via the Knife Edge (for sentimental reasons - my dad did it in the 1960's).

I'm looking for input on these two options. Is a north to south traverse of the mountain reasonable?

Also looking for info on the trail to take from Katahdin Stream to Abol Bridge. The map shows three options (AT, Lost Pond, Blueberry Ledges). I am not tied to taking the AT route.

As a older slower hiker who did Roaring brook to the summit via knifes edge and back to roaring brook via Chimney pond as a one day trip. I think option 2 gives you move views and reasonable hike distances even with gear. Provided you get ok weather. Any day hike in that area should give you some great views. One could fill a couple weeks just walking in the park and never get to HMW.

Campground reservations are going to control your choice of options. You probably need to plan a couple of itineraries and then see how lucky you are as spots at Chimney Pond are very difficult to get. Study the rolling reservations system and plan to make reservations the first morning of the first day that the sites are open for reservations. I have carried a full backpack down the Knife Edge, after a night on the true north end of the mountain at Davis Pond a couple of times in calm winds, many would find that difficult, in wet or moderate to high winds it would be borderline dangerous as the pack would raise the center of gravity and wind "sail" area. There are sections that require ascending/descending/traversing near vertical faces, there are plenty of footholds and handholds but unless you are comfortable with this type of exposure (with potential for a several hundred foot fall) its best done without a backpack. A very similar experience minus the vertical exposure is Hamlin Ridge trail. It is still quite exposed but little or no scrambling.

I have not done Blueberry Ledges Trail so cannot comment on it but the walk down past the various waterfalls on the AT to Abol Bridge and the walk through the big White Pine stand along the river is very nice and would be hard to beat. The former AT route from Katahdin Stream to Daicey Pond requires a road walk and IMHO is best avoided. The recent reroute is a pleasant walk through the woods past some remote ponds. It rejoins the former AT route near Daicey Pond. Spend the few minutes to go check out the view across Daicey Pond from the lodge, its worth the quick walk up the road to get what was the quintessential view of the mountain from the AT for decades.

Logistically, a start at Roaring Brook is more difficult than at Katahdin Stream (or Abol campsite). The AT Lodge runs a daily shuttle to the west side of the mountain. You wlll need to find and hire a custom shuttle to get to Roaring Brook campground. If the weather is bad, there really is no safe way over the mountain in bad weather so unless you can score an open slot for another night or two to wait out the weather you will need to hitch around on the park road system to Katahdin Stream.

BTW, I am not aware of any firms that do "standard" food drops at Abol Bridge, unless things have changed, the store at the bridge carries minimal resupply, inadequate for several days in the HMW. I am unsure who would accept the food drop if you arrange one, possibly the seasonal campground?. Last thing I knew there was zero cell service at Abol Bridge.

In general, almost everyone unfamiliar with the rocky trails at BSP underestimate them and bite off more than they can chew on their first trip. Treeline is lower and the boulder scrambling is to be expected. Mileages are shorter but the trails are quite steep. Even folks like me who live in the whites treat the BSP trails with respect. BSP is cluster of mountains that sitck up out of broad glacial terrain and is magnet for weather, it can be clear for 100 miles in every direction and the summit will usually form clouds by noon and afternoon thunderstorms can bubble up by 1 or 2 PM on hot days. A general strong hint with BSP is to become an early bird hiker, get up before dark and be on the trail at or around dawn, the morning light on the east side is very special as it lights up the mountain with a glow. It is a bit less critical on the west side as the mountain blocks the sun but generally the summit is far more likely to be clear from 10 to 12.

I just did Blueberry Ledges, it’s fine but not as attractive as the AT, along the stream. Modest views from the ledges themselves, not as good as those from Rainbow Ledges.

You'll need camping reservations. Chimney Pond is probably sold out for the rest of the season.
    Call HQ.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    You'll need camping reservations. Chimney Pond is probably sold out for the rest of the season.
    Call HQ.
    Note he was asking about next year

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Note he was asking about next year
    Wait. Someone is planning for Baxter a year in advance???
    I gotta go sit on the porch for a bit. This has never happened before.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Awww...how soon they forget! Back in 2013 I was planning like crazy for my 2014 SOBO -- and it was all the great information and advice you always give here that made those plans easy! That hike was pathetically short, but I fell in love with BSP and Millinocket. I can't wait to go back. And yes, I'll be planning a year in advance!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

No need for a year in advance but definitely learn the rules for the rolling reservation system and grab a site on the first day its open for reservations.

++ New Posts ++