Our paths crossed several times a year, mainly through ALDHA events but at other functions as well. Sadly I never got to hike with him, except when Gatherings were held at Dartmouth and we had to hike from one end of campus to the other (longer than the hike to a privy in Maine, he'd say, citing the old joke from Wingfoot's guide) with him always out ahead of me, to grab a beer in that basement bar on Main Street -- making it technically one of only a handful of bars on the A.T., as he also liked to point out. In fact it was there that I have my favorite memory of him.

He and Jester and some others had invited "officials" from ALDHA to come share a beer on the Saturday night of that year's Gathering (early 2000s) and I believe I was the only one who took him up on the invitation. He was extremely grateful and, I think, impressed that I came. But why wouldn't I? It was October and baseball was on TV. Specifically the team he and I have mutually loved, hated and died for (and with) since our respective births -- in the same exact year under Dwight Eisenhower, I might add -- that team, of course, being the Boston Red Sox. With the backdrop of a great game and well-poured drafts, we got down to solving the problems of Red Sox Nation, the outside world, the A.T. and ALDHA.
Conversations with Jack could be heavy at times, but it was all good, I always enjoyed them. We also shared a love of history. When he quipped out of the blue once how Jack Kennedy's civil rights record couldn't hold a candle to that of -- yes -- our birth president, I shocked the hell out of him when I gave him a high-five of consent. Because I, too, am well aware of that fact, and it is a fact if you didn't know it already. (Something else to thank Jack for putting in your brain, folks, lol.)

Just a week ago he fired off a strongly worded email (redundant, right?) about something that the current administration in ALDHA had done, and I started to type a reply but stopped, reasoning that it would be better to talk to him in person rather than put it in writing, especially since I agreed with him. I don't often go to Trail Days but I was already planning to go this year, so I figured I would just wait to see Jack there, maybe invite him to grab a beer and let him vent to a sympathetic ear, then see if we could come up with a plan to address his concerns.

I should've sent the email.

But I promise not to drop the ball, and will do what I can to address his concerns out of tribute to a well-spoken, outspoken hiker full of passion for life, for the trail and for ALDHA.

The class of 76 has already taken a big hit this year with the passing of Prince. (Boy, I can just see the two of them talking music right about now.) Jack, save me a spot by the bar (there's no smoking in heaven, right?) and put the game on. I'll be there eventually, bro.

As always, Jack precedes me by a few steps.