WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking Logistics Up North

I'm glad to say I'm finally out of PA and into NJ!

I enjoy the drives to the trail, but they're getting longer, so I've built in a dedicated travel day on each end of my hike. Once I get further North, it will probably become too much for a single day's drive. I'm also concerned with wear and tear on my vehicle, and always worried about vandalism.

I've researched public transportation up through NY and it looks like a viable option. Basically Amtrak into Penn Station, and some form of train or bus to a trail town, and all can be accomplished within a day.

I'd love to hear experiences, do's/don'ts, or any other wisdom from those that have walked/driven/travelled before me!
    It is what it is.

You have it pretty easy leaving Lynchburg as you have bus, train, and plane service. Amtrak to Penn Station (NY) and then you can just walk over to Grand Central for further north bound when needed. There's the Vermonter and Ethan Allen lines for Amtrak, those would be out of Penn Station. Later on you can go up to Boston and then take different buses. With the bus and train, it may be at times there is only one stop a day so you have to work around that. Besides Greyhound there is Megabus too and then Concord Trailways up north. Springfield MA also connects the bus and train as a hub.

Flying you could pop in to Newark and transfer to Newark Penn Station and get to the city pretty quick or connect further. There's Boston Logan too but if you can get into Manchester cheaply some of the Boston buses I think stop there, or maybe it's Concord or both even. I never flew into Boston to do that but you can connect the train and the bus easily most times, although like NY, Boston has two stations that you may need to transfer between. One of the train stations is right next to the bus station.

I always mention that if the train runs overnight, you may be able to get a roomette in place of needing a hotel.

When you have a trip in the planning stages, post it and generally somebody can help out with the connections or the obstacles you might run into.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

When I was completing the AT early on I created some gaps in my completion, I would get tired of making the drive down there and I would go up here, get tired of that I would go back down there and so on...
    So that would be the first don't, don't create gaps in your completion, always pickup where you left off. This removes logistical problems throughout the hikes.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Trail in CT (and NY) is pretty accessible by mass transit from NYC area, some requiring a shuttle to-from the train.

Harlem Line of the MetroNorth Railroad (out of Grand Central Terminal in NYC) goes directly to Pawling NY, including a stop ON the AT near NY RT 22 (although trains only stop at the AT Train platform on weekends and holidays, limited times). Easy taxi or shuttle ride from Pawling or Wingdale stations to this area of trail.

RT341 trailhead outside of Kent CT is less than a 15 minute taxi or shuttle ride to/from the Tenmile River Station of the Harlem Line.

Even from Salisbury CT, the train station at Wassaic (northern-most stop on the Harlem Line) is less then 30 min drive. Probably do best with a shuttle here (taxi likely pretty expensive), but there are shuttle providers in the area that can help with these.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool I've got experience!

I'd love to hear experiences
    Once you get to New York City, it is not terribly difficult to get to the following Trail areas:
    Manitou NY
    Southlands
    Bear Mountain
    High Point State Park
    Delaware Water Gap
    Rutland VT
    Great Barrington
    Dalton
    White River Junction
    North Adams
    Bennington
    Manchester
    Hanover

I've done all of the above, and commented about doing so in my blogs. If you need specific info on any of these, I can easily link to my postings -- I'd just rather not link to ALL of them.

Just save up you money for private shuttles in Maine. The only public transport is along the I 95 corridor south of the AT. With the exception of Millinocket (sort of along I 95) and the Concord Coach bus line that runs North from Boston to Gorham NH (near the Maine border) most other shuttles in Maine are going to burn up 3 or 4 hours and a few hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Just save up you money for private shuttles in Maine. The only public transport is along the I 95 corridor south of the AT. With the exception of Millinocket (sort of along I 95) and the Concord Coach bus line that runs North from Boston to Gorham NH (near the Maine border) most other shuttles in Maine are going to burn up 3 or 4 hours and a few hundred dollars.
    Yes very good point! For all of NH and ME I rented a car and for most of it I had a private shuttle driver(My wife lol)

Even for the trips she did not shuttle me, It was still cheaper to rent a car for the period of my hike, and I found a local in southern ME that would drive me like a normal shuttle and leave my rental at my end point
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I made it as far as Lee, MA before I decided it was too far to drive anymore. The 12-hour drive back to NC was right at the limit of what I felt comfortable driving in a day, and IMO, if you have to split the drive into 2 days, you're better off flying.

Last year I flew into Albany, NY and got a shuttle to Lee, MA, hiked 2 weeks up to Rutland, VT, got a free bus ride to the tiny airport there, and flew home. This year I'm planning to start with the reverse trip into Rutland and hike to Franconia Notch, NH. From there I can get a quick shuttle to nearby Lincoln, NH and there's a bus route that goes straight from Lincoln to Logan airport in Boston.

Summary: Lots of good public transportation options from NJ up to NH. You don't need to drive.

I will never forget the Cyr bus ride from Bangor to Medway, full of Amish speaking German full speed ahead.

The stop in Bangor is right across the street from the airport.

Just got back from doing Delaware Water Gap to Greenwood Lake NY.

To Trail:

I got a heck of a deal on a $62 Amtrak ticket from Lynchburg to Newark Penn Station. From there, I took an Uber to Kittatiny Visitor Center and slept on a picnic table until about 6am to begin hiking.
    - the price for Amtrak was great, but I won't be taking another late train because I found sleep to be impossible with the constant horn blaring and stops. No footrests on the NE Regional either.
    - I used Uber to get me to trail right after arriving in Newark. Otherwise I would have had to wait about 6 hours to take the bus to Stroudsburg, and there was nowhere convenient to sleep around Newark Penn Station. The Uber was more expensive than the train.
    Grade: C

From Trail:
    I knew where I wanted to finish, but I didn't know exactly when that would be as I wanted to get back home as soon as possible so I could spend time with my family before returning to work. So I left my return options open. When I finally booked my return trip I found that I could fly home cheaper and quicker than I could taking a train. I took a $14 bus from the Greenwood Lake park-n-ride to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Then caught a CoachUSA charter for $20 to Newark International. From there I flew into Richmond VA where my family was waiting to pick me up.
    - I was running tight margins on time for each of these legs, but I got to the airport and checked in with plenty of time to spare. I realize I was one traffic jam away from my entire plan blowing up, so next time I'll build in a bigger cushion.
    - I didn't have a travel duffel to check my backpack in. I donated a twice used fuel canister to a hiker box, and incurred shipping expense to get my pocket knife, stakes, and poles back home so that I could use my backpack as carry-on.
    Grade: B

Overall a cool experience doing the trail this way. Some lessons learned including hammering down dates next time so I can book early and lock in better rates. I think flying is my preferred method over train. I need to figure out a way to pack my backpack so I can check it. I used a duffel on the JMT that I shipped ahead. But I had free time on both ends of the trip to make this work. I'd prefer not to burn precious time on my AT trips finding a post office twice. I found the ZPacks airplane bag that doubles as a pack liner, so this may be an option. But I hear the wear and tear of luggage handling can diminish its properties as a pack liner. And I'd still need to find fuel after arriving to the trail.

Appreciate all the info and experiences shared, and things to keep in mind as I continue moving up the trail. I'll get this figured out and turned into a finely tuned logistical machine before too long!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++