WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Baltimore Jack. May he always have happy trails and never run out of Jim Bean and Camels.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Baltimore Jack. May he always have happy trails and never run out of Jim Bean and Camels.
    he quit camels years ago. jim beam killed him

Journal Entries
    Images

It has to roll off the tongue. Don't make the name too long. Just "Baltimore Jack's - A restful place in a hostel world" Commission a chainsaw sculpture of him in his prime and put it near a fire circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    this is an ok name,I am trying to get to Trail Days, see all of you there..

Images

Is anybody planning on some kind of tribute to him at Trail Days? I know he would hate the idea for himself, but would also be first in line for any one of his countless buddy’s.

Just a thought.

V8

-

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post
    Is anybody planning on some kind of tribute to him at Trail Days? I know he would hate the idea for himself, but would also be first in line for any one of his countless buddy’s.

Just a thought.

V8
    not much planning required, lots of venues at TD just need a slot and let it get around that an open podium is available for tributes - a natural for a youtube

Gave so much back. Seemed to quietly be learning from the past and not making the same mistakes again and again. Demonstrated what trail community and personal responsibility and trail stewardship was about without ever being preachy. He just lived it and noticed it when others also did…and didn't. It bothered him when he came across those in the trail community with self serving ignorant of others attitudes. He said to me several times, "what we do now reflects on those who pass after us. None of us hikes totally in a bubble", in a voice and with a reason that resonated deep within my soul. Uhhh…..I will miss Jack… and not so much for his hiking exploits but by being fortunate of being mentored by him that at the time I never perceived as being mentored.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ron and Lone Wolf. Didn't Baltimore Jack have a daughter ? If so for me it would be important to toss a few greenbacks her way so that she can do whatever he may have asked of her.At least for me. Hopefully that will show up in his official obit. Lets face it professional hiker and hiker helper ain't gonna be the highest paying position in the world. I see his cause of death just being the fact he hiked so long and so hard that physically he couldn't do his real passion any longer on account of the fact one only has so many miles in the legs. Once those went it was just a matter of time. Obviously he thru hiked until the physical end made doing so end to end unrealistic. One things for certain God broke the mold and we ain't never again going to see another Baltimore Jack. His spirit and legend will never leave the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Ron and Lone Wolf. Didn't Baltimore Jack have a daughter ? If so for me it would be important to toss a few greenbacks her way so that she can do whatever he may have asked of her.At least for me. Hopefully that will show up in his official obit. Lets face it professional hiker and hiker helper ain't gonna be the highest paying position in the world. I see his cause of death just being the fact he hiked so long and so hard that physically he couldn't do his real passion any longer on account of the fact one only has so many miles in the legs. Once those went it was just a matter of time. Obviously he thru hiked until the physical end made doing so end to end unrealistic. One things for certain God broke the mold and we ain't never again going to see another Baltimore Jack. His spirit and legend will never leave the trail.
    yes he has a daughter. he also has a sister that is taking care of things. he will be cremated per his wishes. she will be writing his obit

Quote Originally Posted by V Eight View Post

Just a thought.

V8
    V8, Yes plans are being made for a tribute at Trail Days, by an iconic Trail Angel and former hiker. I am sure she has the support of an iconic hiker and video blogger, both of which admired, respected and cared for Baltimore Jack. I am also confident that these two will have no trouble enlisting help doing what ever needs to be done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    A shelter in his honor?!?! Now that's funny.
    A plaque at Antlers maybe but a shelter is not something he would've like.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I found this. Please read the comments section. Seems Jack was in lots of pain and never let his "trail family" know.

http://appalachiantrail.com/20160504...-of-his-trail/
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

great clip.
    Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I found this. Please read the comments section. Seems Jack was in lots of pain and never let his "trail family" know.

http://appalachiantrail.com/20160504...-of-his-trail/
    About this article…..I am thinking Baltimore Jack "enjoyed life", and might not been in the best of shape. But even the old and Grey Jack was sharp as a tack, never slurred, stammered, or missed a beat, in any interviews, casual or formal. I also think that he must have lived a slightly healthier life style than the article HINTS at, seeing as how he hiked the AT 10? times

Images

On my thru in 2010 I bought shoes in Daleville, and by the time I made it to Harpers Ferry they were basically falling off of my feet. I didn't feel that the quality of the shoe matched the price so I stopped by the outfitter to see what the manufacturer's return policy was. I explained my situation to the guy behind the counter thinking he would help me get replacements. Instead what I got was a lecture about how its not cool to be swindling manufacturers and outfitters, and how freeloaders in general are bad people. After working 10 years in customer service I was really confused by this approach, although I understood the sentiment. But once he realized my intentions were not to get something for nothing, he became very helpful, even friendly. Nonetheless I left the outfitter scratching my head. I walked across the street to have a beer with some friends and told them about my experience. They all burst out laughing and said, "oh, that's just Baltimore Jack". Two months later on my way thru Hanover I ran into him again, and he greeted me like an old friend. We talked for close to an hour then he wished me luck on the rest of my hike. I never brought up the encounter in Harpers Ferry, and neither did he. I have often wondered if he remembered me, or if I caught him on a bad day in Harpers Ferry, and on a good day in Hanover. Either way, both encounters were memorable, and I am grateful to have met him.

R.I.P. Baltimore Jack.

Images

JAck_Tarlin_27.jpg Here is a picture I took of Jack in 2008 at Hot Springs. It was in front of that pub on Bridge Street that burned down.

Somebody should write an obit to put on the Whiteblaze home page. I carried Baltimore Jack's resupply advice on my hike in 2007 and I wasn't the only one using it.

Images

Sad news indeed

RIP Jack, may the hiking trails in heaven be plentiful and extra long....
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Were not going to discuss if our jack was black or white or muslum or not.
    He was our baltimore jack.
    Its never been his name, it aint a trailname just anyone can use....
    Its a designation.
    Like air force one.
    if, by a stroke of god one day another leaderand father figure of hiking were to come along and win our hearts.....
    Well that would be a different story.
    For now, we had a baltimore jack tarlin that was in fact our leader and one of our hiker nations founding fathers.
    it can be stated so, because hikerdom is young and we have him to take a bearingfrom for many miles to come.

Journal Entries

Met him in 2012 on my thru at neels gap, store? ....... he had so many stories....... really nice man.
    eveready

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++