WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This is the forum where I first met Baltimore Jack long ago in 2006 and who gave me much sage advice in the forums as I was a newbie trying to plan by 2007 hike. I faithfully read his resupply, took a lot of his advice in the forums where he posted, and also got to meet him many times over the last ten years. When I journeyed on my southbound hike into Damascus, he was there and gave me advice on the Smokies. Jack was a great friend of the trail and hikers. He will be sorely missed, esp at the next ALDHA I plan to go to in MA. It won't be the same.

The last private pm from here he sent a while back was after I lost my beloved dog. He wrote : I am so very sorry to hear this sad news. I've buried many a pet and it's never easy. I hope, in time, you decide to get another dog, it sure sounds to me like you'd be a great owner.

regards,

J.T.
    Hanover NH

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

RIP Baltimore Jack, and thanks for all that you did. Your efforts and legacy live on...

u.w.

I met Baltimore in Millinocket, Sept '97. Been friends ever since and I've met up with him every year for a hike or a cocktail.CNV00030.JPG

Thousands of miles and many trail towns later I have my share of BJ stories. If you want to hear them I'll be out on the trail...so will he!

Jack left trace
    Enough for each of us to pick some up
    Im a trasher.
    I collect hikertrash.
    Hes the pride of my collection.

baltimore jack and sassafras.jpg I met Baltimore Jack at Mountain Crossing in 2013. My daughter Sassafras and I were on day 3 of our thru hike. Baltimore Jack spent about 15 minutes talking with Sassafras, giving here encouragement and advice. He suggested she get post cards and mail them to her principal (who gave us the ok to take her out of school and was one of her biggest supporters) periodically as she thru hikes. We live in a small town in Maine and to this day whenever my wife or I run in the her middle school principal, she tell us how much those post cards meant to her. Baltimore Jack was kind, polite and gracious. Sassafras and I will remember him fondly.

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Not much that I can add that hasn't already been said. I loved the old fart.

Back when I first met him in 2004, I ignorantly asked him "What do you do for a living? " He looked me straight in the eye and said "I hike." I said "Yeah, but what do you do for a living to earn money?" He gave me this 'You're a dumbass' look, and very slowly and forcefully said "I HIKE!"

We saw one another a few times each year, always greeting one another with a bear hug. I'm going to miss those hugs.

I managed to piss him off back in 2014 after I commented on one of his and Warren's infamous diatribes. I commented "Jack, I have this theory that you & Warren were married in a previous life, you didn't get it right then and things ain't looking too hot now." - He didn't speak to me for months. I'm so glad that we made up.

When I met him for the first time, his advice proved invaluable, and his friendship irreplaceable.

I'm going to miss you, Jack. Happy trails.

Anyone have any more details, it seems like he was just posting a week or two ago.

Someone said heart failure/attack? Not sure if accurate....damn shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    Anyone have any more details, it seems like he was just posting a week or two ago.
    major swelling in his legs and he complained of chest pain and trouble breathing. all the signs of congestive heart failure

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Someone said heart failure/attack? Not sure if accurate....damn shame

salty, I was the one who posted that it was thought to be heart failure. I have just been informed by Jack's Family. His death was heart complications.

Quote Originally Posted by One Leg View Post
    Not much that I can add that hasn't already been said. I loved the old fart.

Back when I first met him in 2004, I ignorantly asked him "What do you do for a living? " He looked me straight in the eye and said "I hike." I said "Yeah, but what do you do for a living to earn money?" He gave me this 'You're a dumbass' look, and very slowly and forcefully said "I HIKE!"

We saw one another a few times each year, always greeting one another with a bear hug. I'm going to miss those hugs.

I managed to piss him off back in 2014 after I commented on one of his and Warren's infamous diatribes. I commented "Jack, I have this theory that you & Warren were married in a previous life, you didn't get it right then and things ain't looking too hot now." - He didn't speak to me for months. I'm so glad that we made up.

When I met him for the first time, his advice proved invaluable, and his friendship irreplaceable.

I'm going to miss you, Jack. Happy trails.
    I met the two of you in the woods just before the Kennebec in 04. I could smell you before I saw you and by that I mean all of a sudden I smelled cigarette smoke and thought "what the hey?" Came around the corner and the two of you were taking a smoke break. Jack proceeded to tell me everything and more about Caratunk and The Forks when I said I was meeting friends for a rafting trip, even though I'm from Maine and had thru hiked two years before.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Thx, Ron...I just lost a friend at 43 years old to a heart failure...never no when your times up...I'd say BJ lived life to the fullest....sad...I'm assuming a memorial of some sort is in the works with the ATC? New shelter in his honor? I'm certain many folks would be more than happy to contribute.....

A shelter in his honor?!?! Now that's funny.

I hope his Zippo ends up at the AT Museum.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    A shelter in his honor?!?! Now that's funny.
    Or like I said earlier....tear down a rat trap in his honor and do a memorial site...with a good stone fire pit to cook on and flat rock for your whisky...

Me and Jack ran the 2006 hiker feed in Carratunk when Steve Longley was absent due to his mom's passing.
    Actually, Jack ran the place and i ferried some 60 hikers across the river that day, 40 in one 2 hr afternoon shift.
    Good food and drink, good times as usual with Jack . It was the year of Lion King among others and shutterbug was there.
    RIP Jack.
    WALK ON

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Met him four times on my almost-thru-hike in 2011—Neel Gap, Kincora, Damascus just before Trail Days, and at the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry. Each time he did something to help me: giving me part of my resupply for free at Neel Gap, telling me about the secret sleeping platform and sauna hut in the back of Kincora, recommending where to stay in Damascus, and giving me excellent advice for the rest of the trail ("carry the MATC map set and don't worry about the rest of the states," for instance) in Harpers Ferry. It seemed like all he ever did was help and dispense advice. Some people didn't like his advice, but I always found it on point. And at the time I was already carrying his resupply guide from this site, a fantastic resource in and of itself. I will always appreciate the guy for being a one-man helping machine—loud, drunk, whatever, he got **** done and had an incredible output of assistance. RIP.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

"They always talk of my drinking, but never of my thirst." - Old Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I will always appreciate the guy for being a one-man helping machine—loud, drunk, whatever, he got **** done and had an incredible output of assistance. RIP.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx, Ron...I just lost a friend at 43 years old to a heart failure...never no when your times up...I'd say BJ lived life to the fullest....sad...I'm assuming a memorial of some sort is in the works with the ATC? New shelter in his honor? I'm certain many folks would be more than happy to contribute.....

Me and my wife are considering naming our hostel in Franklin, NC after him. It was the last place he was on the trail before he was admitted into the hospital where he passed away. I don't know if it would sound better, Jack Tarlin Hiker's Den or Baltimore Jack Hiker's Den. Maybe Jack's Hiker Den. I really like it simple. Jack Tarlin Hostel...

B Jack's Hiker Rest

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++