WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    If no-one's posted his high school graduate pic yet:

http://www.brookline1976.com/class_p...ber_id=3829440
    Crap, he was only four years older than me. Way way way too young.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Here's to: "Bill Bryson is a Candy Ass!!!!!" RIP Baltimore Jack.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

I got to meet Jack at one of Ron Havens April Fools Bash's 4 or 5 years ago. Only got to talk to him briefly, but I did get to watch as he freely poured out his knowledge to some very green thru hikers.
    Our community has lost another great one.
    He will be missed

V8

Met him once at the shelter north of Stecoah Gap. Think it was in May of 2005. He was hiking with a guy by the name of Mtn. Dew. Both of them were very funny. Shocked to hear of his passing. Prayers for him and his family.

i knew him 20 years. we beat each other up on the interwebs but always had fun when we were together. had many a bourbon shots with him. watched a lot of Jeopardy with him. damn that boy knew a lot of useless *****e! when my friend Duff Buster passed away in 2000 he found me in Stratton, Maine on the street, pulled out 2 airplane bottles of Jim Beam and we toasted Duff's life. i will do same and drink a toast to his life.

he was tough. never carried less than 50 lbs. i was hikin' behind him going up a steep climb in Virginia. he stopped, lit up a filterless camel, hacked and wheezed then hiked on. he really liked pork chops. he'll be missed

meandjack.jpg

Rest in peace Jack. You sure made my hike a memorable one. May you soul be at rest.

I met Baltimore Jack 3 times last year-once at Neels Gap ( he greeted me warmly), once at Laughing Heart Hostel (he gave me a beer, showed me many summit pictures and a picture of a rattle snake climbing a tree) , and once up in Hanover NH. In NH, he was walking up a long hill in town to go and do a movie review of Walk In The Woods for the local paper. He had just seen a pre-release screening. He was struggling with a bad leg. He shared with me what his review of that movie would be, and later when I saw the movie- I thought he nailed it. He was in a hurry and when we offered to buy him a beer, he hesitated then said he had to go, As he walked away he hollered over his shoulder that we might have the only story in which Baltimore Jack turns down a beer.
    I had read much about him before my hike and meeting him was very special. He lived up to his legend, for sure.

RIP Jack and condolences to the family. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jack a couple of times along the AT and he was definitely one I'll always remember.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Very sad news indeed.
    Had many good conversations with Jack.
    Met him on the trail in '95 and at many gatherings, trail daze, and more.
    Always a helpful soul.
    RIP Jack.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i knew him 20 years. we beat each other up on the interwebs but always had fun when we were together. had many a bourbon shots with him. watched a lot of Jeopardy with him. damn that boy knew a lot of useless *****e! when my friend Duff Buster passed away in 2000 he found me in Stratton, Maine on the street, pulled out 2 airplane bottles of Jim Beam and we toasted Duff's life. i will do same and drink a toast to his life.

he was tough. never carried less than 50 lbs. i was hikin' behind him going up a steep climb in Virginia. he stopped, lit up a filterless camel, hacked and wheezed then hiked on. he really liked pork chops. he'll be missed
    Yup. Easily mistaken assumptions about Jack upon just a visual scan. He was more quiet than some may assume, usually knowing how and when to be reserved, also knowing when to speak up and act, and having some surprisingly "conservative" views. He demonstrated trail and community stewardship.

Here's a bad photo of Jack lounging in a shelter, but happy to make new friends and talk about hiking the AT.
    The camera lens was foggy because we were hiking in a huge, very wet storm.
    Sorry, there are probably more flattering images of him.
    Loss of a great hiker. Very sorry to hear.
    bjacklarge.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

I met Jack in 2000 at Saunders Shelter ten miles south of Damascus. I was coming in out of gas for the night in he was going to Damascus for dinner! I asked was that really Baltimore Jack ? He looks too young. I met him on trail and off many times after that. He was too young.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I first saw Jack at the 2014 ALDHA Gathering in Williamstown. It was Friday night & they were doing Roll Call by year you completed the AT. When they got to 1995 Jack stood up for the next seven years & the crowd cheered. When I saw Jack was as big as I was he instantly inspired me to do another Thruhike which would not start till this March. I saw Jack twice more once at ALDHA again last year & Trail Days in Damascus last year. He was always sourounded by folks so I never got to personally talk to him until just over two weeks ago on April 14th. I was staying at Budget Inn in Franklin when I walked across the street to the new outfitter store that Ron has when there he was working & no body but Jack & I. We then talked for about half an hour about our past thruhikes. I had Thruhiked in 1980 so we had lots of stories. We talked Rattlesnakes & he showed me his pic of one that was ready to strike him & I showed him the one of me holding a small live one during my thru in 80. Well we became fast friends then & vowed to look each other up at Trail Days & the next Gathering. We talked about our weight since we r the same there & he had some before & after pics telling me entuasatically I would get there eventually. We r the same age as well. Jack was truly a major inspiration to myself and to so many others. I will always cherish my memories of him. - Harald Fraude "Rainbow Express"

R.I.P my Friend.

Journal Entries
    Images

"Finest kind"
    -Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    Jack knew how to whisper in a troublemakers ear and cause them to vanish.
    Allways imagined the thinhs he may have whispered.
    In my head i hear jack in the very most polite voice ," um...it might be best if you slept a mile down the road, out of all the comotion of the law searching for you."
    He may have said....

Jack was a compulsive giver.
    He would make up an excuse like," no, its fine.....i dont need it".
    When he did...

Jack said you cant tell stupid people nuthin and that they would learn soon enough.
    a woman with burger size patties of thigh missing from chaffing asked if he thaught she would be fine to continue.
    Jack spoke calmly of her imediate danger of septic and she laughed and walked on bowlegged.
    It was those moments looking into jacks eyes, i had a friend who saw as i, the worlds woes.

The inner family is cryin hard now.
    But we will stop .
    Jack was a big man. We have alot to cry about.
    We all feel lost.
    thats cause the biggest tree fell and were standin in shock.
    Later, and forever, we will dance.
    We will revere the place and make it sing with the laughter of hikerdom.
    So many tears cause many new green things to grow.
    Just had a good long cry.
    may have a short one later.
    Dosnt matter.
    I have him still in this family.

Journal Entries

Wow! What a shocker....helped me out at the start of my hike, back at Walasi, between him and Miss Janet, straightened me out on the right gear. Then dug out some bourbon from his stash under the building. It was The kickoff in 2010, even treated me to some of his venison.
    Last time I met him was at the bar in the Doyle with Box of Tricks, once again, generosity in the form of an old pair of croks and good advice for the path north.
    And that tea shirt, denouncing Bill Bryson, yep, a true legend of the trail, he had each year that he had thruhiked engraved on the back of his watch.
    Yep, the AT. will always have memories from so many that he helped and mentored along the way.
    Rest in peace Jack, condolences to his family.

In my mind, jacks strong arm gently reaches over my shoulder from behind me and picks up the trimmed fat on the edge of my plate.
    In my mind, he stands over me with a spattula waiting to see if the incredible arrangement of different foods hes laid on my plate have made me happy.
    In my mind, hes snoring next to me in room 23 and im smileing.
    In my mind,hes come up to me, put his hand on my shoulder and asked," is everything allright matty?"

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default RIP Baltimore Jack

I have met Baltimore Jack on many occasions thurout the last ten years. I found BJ interesting to talk with especially his insite on the trail and his view of the people walking the trail.. He truly helped me in some of my hiking decisions and I appreciated his wisdom. He will be missed. I look forward to my ride up to Blood Mountain , Neels Gap, Walasi-Yi every year to do trail angle work in March at Woodys Gap , next year I will be telling the new hikers about a hiker named Baltimore Jack who had a history of hiking the trail. You earned a prayer tonight. Tic-Toc

Journal Entries

This is very sad news. I chatted with him last month in Franklin. RIP Jack and thanks for the conversation!
    Gadget Legs

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++