WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Watched it a few times now, that man had some heart didnt he? On his third thru and never once mentioned his own accomplishments in the video
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

The Appalachian Trail lost a truly great ambassador. He will be missed.

6901_7000ATC048.jpg

Wooden bust at AT museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park was nice

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Wooden bust at AT museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park was nice
    ??? You saw one, or you think this would be a cool idea?
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    ??? You saw one, or you think this would be a cool idea?
    There is one. Doesn't look anything like Jack.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I luv that vid. Hits exactly at what so many experience. Thx Rush.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I luv that vid. Hits exactly at what so many experience. Thx Rush.
    You're welcome, but I think Gambit posted that video.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Though I don't think someone could fill Jack's shoes, it makes me wonder who our future sage-trail advocates will/could be. At that, only a few people exist that are multiple time AT thru hikers. Jack's selfless devotion to the trail is ledgendary.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Though I don't think someone could fill Jack's shoes, it makes me wonder who our future sage-trail advocates will/could be. At that, only a few people exist that are multiple time AT thru hikers. Jack's selfless devotion to the trail is ledgendary.
    I don't think anyone could ever replace what Jack has done for the AT community. He just had so much passion for the AT and that passion was evident to anyone who ever met Baltimore Jack and spent some time with him.
    I was so fortunate to have hiked with him during my 2001 thru. I first met him at Trail Days. I brought a tee shirt from him. We later both got a free buzz haircut. I shared a drink of bourbon with him at the Molly Denton shelter and a beer at the Doyle. I will always remember Jack as a part of my thru-hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

The Mold is broken

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    The Mold is broken
    Agreed. Jack had an interesting array of unique traits that would be nigh impossible to replicate.

Images

Baltimore Jack loved White Blaze also. You could always find him tuned in on it every morning after our bus ride to the local trail heads..

Jack was not just the Class of 1998, 99 ect... Simply Put.. Jack was THE CLASS .... And I, like so may of you am the class of Baltimore Jack Tarlin.
    We will remember him this coming weekend at The Gathering... and I'm going to share as many funny Jack stories as i have time for.. wait.. thats not enough time ha! LEGENDS NEVER DIE .....
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

I had first met him in 2008 at Trail Fest in Hot Springs when my wife (Little Bear) and I were graciously offered a ride (with a few other hikers) in Ron Havens RV with his family. (Thanks Ron & family!) I had run into him many times since, but I remember the time when he hiked to a shelter where we and other hikers were making dinner of Mac and cheese, Lipton sides (now Knorr), and ramen noodles. Baltimore Jack pulls out a big juicy steak and begins to cook it. Everyone was jealously watching. I remember thinking, "oh yeah, I almost forgot you could do that after a first day resupply!...Good for him!...He deserved that after that last section!".

Images

Good afternoon trail friends and family. I am blessed to have two shelter journals that belonged to Jack.
    One is the Mt. Williams from 7 August 2000 to 25-July 2001. I have scanned this one and will be posting the pdf files for everyone to
    enjoy with the admins permission soon. This journal is full of many, many personal messages to Jack and the front of the journal has an
    absolutely wonderful message from Jack and a touching glimpse into some of his thoughts about hiking.

The second journal is from somewhere between Glastonbury and Mt. Greylock and covers the period from 28 June 1996 to 13 October 1996.
    I feel that this one is of particular historical significance due to it being from the year he completed his first Thru-hike. It is not in the best condition but I will be scanning it in very soon and providing it for everyone.

I am in contact with his daughter and sister (Erika) and have been working to gather and sort his belongings from his former home in Hanover with the help of his longtime friend David. Erika has given her blessings that I preserve these treasures. My intention is to get them scanned and posted for his trail family to enjoy and embrace as a part of Jack's legacy. I will then look into having them physically preserved and hopefully rebound in a manner that will allow them to be displayed safely. I think then Jack's daughter and sister and I will probably decide where their permanent home should be. Possible the AT museum or the ATC. As much as I would love to keep them, they belong to the trail community. But I think it would be prudent to insure that they will be someplace that will care for them, and make them available for others to enjoy. There are also thousands of pictures that Jack took that we hope to make available on some kind of site that hikers can identify people and locations and the year. In addition, there are also approximately 200 rolls of film that need to be developed. Logistically and financially that is another matter in itself. Any thoughts on tackling that would be welcomed. Keep an eye out for the Journal scans to be up soon I hope.

for now
    peace.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Thank you for doing this, I look forward to reading the journals.
    As to the cost to develop those 200 rolls of film, I bet there would be more than enough financial support from the hiking community to cover it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Thank you for doing this, I look forward to reading the journals.
    As to the cost to develop those 200 rolls of film, I bet there would be more than enough financial support from the hiking community to cover it.
    I was going to say, start a gofundme or some such. Also, is it possible to have the negatives developed and then digitized or must you print and then scan the paper pictures?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I was going to say, start a gofundme or some such. Also, is it possible to have the negatives developed and then digitized or must you print and then scan the paper pictures?
    Scanning the negatives directly is the best way. Finding a still working lab will be tricky. I'm sure someone is still doing it, but I don't know who or where.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Met him at Mountain Crossing when I had just started my hike. He helped me as apparently did other hikers. A gentleman and a character. He made the AT a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Scanning the negatives directly is the best way. Finding a still working lab will be tricky. I'm sure someone is still doing it, but I don't know who or where.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It may depend on what kind of film it is - if it's standard 35mm, then most places can do something (not necessarily on site, they may send it elsewhere) - after all, that's what you find in those disposable cameras that are still sold, so checking any store that sells them would be a good starting point, I'd think.

Other types of older film may be more of an issue, as some of the developing materials may no longer be available (as some required a specific set of chemicals).

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++