WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best find ever

Journal Entries

Default Best find ever

IMG_0122.JPGWas walking around Walmart and found powdered peanut butter lol. At first I was not surest I bought one to try... Made it at home and me and the wife went back and bought everyone they had... Lol no more worrying about weight...
    Easy to make and tasted A LOT BETTER than I had thought!!!!

The name of it is called PBfit and we found it in the baking section....

Has two servings, one if u ask me, 50 calories and 6 grams protein... Very light weight as well...
    Last edited by K.O.G.; 05-04-2016 at 05:51. Reason: couldn't add pic from iphone

Interesting...did you eat it plain or dump it into some other food?

we saw a tub of peanut powder at grocery store (Harris Teeter) just the other day.

I haven't figured out what I'd do with it yet, other than wear half of it in a mishap LoL

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Interesting...did you eat it plain or dump it into some other food?

we saw a tub of peanut powder at grocery store (Harris Teeter) just the other day.

I haven't figured out what I'd do with it yet, other than wear half of it in a mishap LoL
    I just ate it plain but taking a few with me and going to do some experimenting.... I start my Journey tomorrow from springer but the pkg says use anywhere you would normally use peanut butter.... I normally don't eat peanut butter but I am addicted to this because of taste and texture.... and for .98 a pack the price is right and weighs little to nothing as apposed to a jar of Peanut butter.....

give it a try and let me know what you think.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Just beware that they've taken the fat out of it, so it won't have the same caloric or energy value on the trail. I do believe that when you mix it up you're replacing the peanut oil they have taken out, with water. You probably won't get as far down the trail with it as a jar of Jif.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Just beware that they've taken the fat out of it, so it won't have the same caloric or energy value on the trail. I do believe that when you mix it up you're replacing the peanut oil they have taken out, with water. You probably won't get as far down the trail with it as a jar of Jif.
    I was thinking maybe whipping some up one morning and adding almonds and rolling in some trail mix and making up for the missin fat....

Leonidas

It is also marketed as PB2 by the same company, you can get it in a large jar(s) at Costco and other places. Would be much cheaper I imagine to break it out yourself and re-package into serving sizes. Just a thought, as I considered doing it myself.

Just tried it. Tastes like peanut butter to me.

Journal Entries
    Images

In any case, considering the weight, it just sounds like fun. Let us know how that trail mix concoction turns out.

Definitely buy in bulk and repackage in Ziplock bags. I add PB2 to oatmeal to add a few calories and some flavor. Enjoy.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Ps:
    This product has been around since forever.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    NO, for the fifth or sixth post here on several powdered PB threads they have not taken the fat out of it. THE FAT IS 85% REDUCED FROM FULL MIXED NATURAL REAL NON HYDROGENATED OIL ADDED CREAMY PB. And, that is NOT as nutritionally(calorically) disastrous assuming as it may sound in the context of wanting calories from fat for hiking! READ THE LABEL! http://www.betterbodyfoods.com/products/pbfit/ 15 of the 55 cal per serving are fat, REAL FAT FROM PEANUTS, meaning it STILL is 27% fat by caloric content. Before anyone starts poo pooing fat content of an ingredient or a food consider the vast number of ingredients and foods one regularly takes without questioning to the trail that has no where near a 27% fat calorie content!

ALSO, consider many regular non powdered PB brands raise fat calorie content by adding not found in Nature possible health wrecking hydrogenated oil(trans fats) that even the friendly to the food industry FDA is seeking to ban as an added ingredient.

I will sometimes reconstitute with coconut oil for a slightly different flavor. Several companies including PBFit offer a chocolate version.

I am in the middle of creating a recipe that uses this, and I expect to post it on my YouTube channel, "Vegan Packer," in the next few days. It has scratch made caramel, and I have it for a dessert snack on the trail. It's fabulous! Make sure to subscribe, and you will be able to see it when it posts.

GOPRCaramel.jpg
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 05-05-2016 at 03:27.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    NO, for the fifth or sixth post here on several powdered PB threads they have not taken the fat out of it. THE FAT IS 85% REDUCED FROM FULL MIXED NATURAL REAL NON HYDROGENATED OIL ADDED CREAMY PB. And, that is NOT as nutritionally(calorically) disastrous assuming as it may sound in the context of wanting calories from fat for hiking! READ THE LABEL! http://www.betterbodyfoods.com/products/pbfit/ 15 of the 55 cal per serving are fat, REAL FAT FROM PEANUTS, meaning it STILL is 27% fat by caloric content. Before anyone starts poo pooing fat content of an ingredient or a food consider the vast number of ingredients and foods one regularly takes without questioning to the trail that has no where near a 27% fat calorie content!

ALSO, consider many regular non powdered PB brands raise fat calorie content by adding not found in Nature possible health wrecking hydrogenated oil(trans fats) that even the friendly to the food industry FDA is seeking to ban as an added ingredient.

I will sometimes reconstitute with coconut oil for a slightly different flavor. Several companies including PBFit offer a chocolate version.
    From the PB2 website:

"Keep in mind, that PB2 is all natural peanut butter without the fat or the added hydrogenated oil"

Traditional
    2 Tbsp:
    190 calories
    Calories from fat:
    Saturated fat:

3 grams

PB2

2 Tbsp:
    45 calories
    Calories from fat:
    Saturated fat:
    0 grams

I'm going to continue eating real peanut butter. By real, I mean peanuts that have been ground up with a little salt and dumped into a jar. It tastes good, is calorically dense, and doesn't require any additional work on my part.

Journal Entries

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by K.O.G. View Post
    IMG_0122.JPGWas walking around Walmart and found powdered peanut butter lol. At first I was not surest I bought one to try... Made it at home and me and the wife went back and bought everyone they had... Lol no more worrying about weight...
    Easy to make and tasted A LOT BETTER than I had thought!!!!

The name of it is called PBfit and we found it in the baking section....

Has two servings, one if u ask me, 50 calories and 6 grams protein... Very light weight as well...
    Not to rain on your parade...
    But to overtly make a point...

Hikers NEED the highest calorie /wt foods they can get
    This means you carry less wt for your calories carried.
    Oils are 240 cal/oz
    Nuts are 160-200
    Dry carbs are 100-125

Nut butters and nuts are desireable for the high calories and protein. There isnt any issue with regular peanut butter for hiking. Its the #1 hiking staple. A long distance hiker needs food to average 130-150 cal/oz to avoid heavy food carries. Protein sources drag it down. Foods with water drag it down.

This has 118 cal/oz. Not high enough to even consider to me.

Natural fats..are in no way bad for you.
    The misplaced health direction by your goverment to limit fats carte blanche has redulted in epidemic diabetes in the US.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-06-2016 at 11:49.

Images

Several companies including PBFit offer a chocolate version.
    You mean this stuff? I tried it. Thought it'd taste like cardboard, to use the common description for dehydrated trail food.

Pleasant surprise. Tasted amazingly like regular to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    From the PB2 website:

"Keep in mind, that PB2 is all natural peanut butter without the fat or the added hydrogenated oil"

Traditional
    2 Tbsp:
    190 calories
    Calories from fat:
    Saturated fat:

3 grams

PB2

2 Tbsp:
    45 calories
    Calories from fat:
    Saturated fat:
    0 grams

Read the advertising and nutritional specs further. "PB2 is all natural peanut butter without the fat or the added hydrogenated oil. Yes. "without the fat" when compared to full fat PB. Again, MANY full fat PB varieties have ADDED hydrogenated oils that raise the fat content although there are some that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Lol

Not to rain on your parade...
    But to overtly make a point...

Hikers NEED the highest calorie /wt foods they can get
    This means you carry less wt for your calories carried.
    Oils are 240 cal/oz
    Nuts are 160-200
    Dry carbs are 100-125

Nut butters and nuts are desireable for the high calories and protein. There isnt any issue with regular peanut butter for hiking. Its the #1 hiking staple. A long distance hiker needs food to average 130-150 cal/oz to avoid heavy food carries. Protein sources drag it down. Foods with water drag it down.

This has 118 cal/oz. Not high enough to even consider to me.

Natural fats..are in no way bad for you.
    The misplaced health direction by your goverment to limit fats carte blanche has redulted in epidemic diabetes in the US.
    AGAIN, before anyone starts poo pooing fat content of an ingredient or a food consider the vast number of ingredients and foods one regularly takes without questioning to the trail that has no where near a 27% fat calorie content! This dried PB has a higher fat calorie content than unflavored pasta, unflavored dried mashed potatoes, tuna(just tuna packed in water), salt, sugar, almost all spices, etc. How many of these items and ingredients regularly find their way into the trail food bag IN ABUNDANCE UNQUESTIONED.

AGAIN, before anyone starts poo pooing fat content of an ingredient or a food consider the vast number of ingredients and foods one regularly takes without questioning to the trail that has no where near a 27% fat calorie content! This dried PB has a higher fat calorie content than unflavored pasta, unflavored dried mashed potatoes, tuna(just tuna packed in water), salt, sugar, almost all spices, etc. How many of these items and ingredients regularly find their way into the trail food bag IN ABUNDANCE UNQUESTIONED.
    I don't take any of those foods hiking with me. I do take real peanut butter though.

Journal Entries

Want to offer why hikers choose tuna in oil, as opposed to springwater?
    1. It has more calories
    2. It tastes better

One review described it as gritty, with a faint lingering bitterness that reminded them of beans.

Again, totally worthless imo, but some people will buy anything in the mistaken belief that all fats are bad.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...ligence-201059
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2016 at 00:42.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++