Default Can I handle a SOBO hike?

I'd really like to attempt a SOBO hike of the PCT this year, but I wonder if I have enough experience to handle the snow conditions in Washington. I've never used an ice axe before or hiked in crampons. But I think I can learn. I am fairly good at reading topo maps. I'm from the mid-west, so I know snow but mountain environments and weather patterns are unfamiliar. I spent this past summer hiking throughout the Sierras. I've backpacked in the following: North Cascades Natl Park (August, with a couple snow crossings and one raging stream crossing), PCT near Willamette pass, Three Sisters Wilderness, Goat Rock Wilderness, Marble Mountains Wilderness, Desolation Wilderness, Ansel Adams Wilderness, and John Muir Wilderness.

I'd like to hear from other SOBOers and those with mountaineering experience. If I train, practice with an ice axe, learn about avalanche signs and exercise caution on the trail - will I be OK?

I hit a lot of snow when SOBO'ing the pct back in 2002.
    route finding was very difficult.
    Although phone's with GPS would greatly reduce that problem now-a-days.

I also had a few self-arrests when traversing some of the steep mountains that had snow in the gullys
    Especially early morning when they were very ice-like and frozen.
    I didn't have an ice ax but, became very good at self-arresting with a collapsed hiking pole with the basket removed.

If I wouldn't have had the experience, I'd would have been dashed on the rocks below a few times.

YOu can see some of this in the video we made that we now have on youtube.
    It's called "really livin" if you search for it. (use the word fiddlehead also in your search and it should come right up)
    I think the snow scenes in WA state are nearer to the end.
    Each scene has a 2 state abbreviation in the lower left corner, so, watch for WA
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

I think sometimes sobo might leave too early. June is too early in heavy snow years . July is still easily enough Time to get through the sierra most years. July Washington August Oregon September NorCal/north Sierra October south Sierra/northern desert November desert

The real benefit is bugs. !

I've been in the Sierra quite a few times in late September and October and it was perfect hiking conditions. Chilly at night, a bit dry, but snow was nil or dustings. Maybe I got lucky every time.
    It is the same out here in the east. People go nuts trying to hike in New Hampshire/Maine in May and June, sometimes you run into hideous bugs or massive snow drifts. October is great out here, my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

There are two related issues.
    1) how early you start and can you handle the given years conditions.
    2) Based on 1 can you do the miles needed to get through the Sierra early enough to have a high probability of success.

While I haven't SOBO I can offer you this.
    1) SOBO success rates haven't been that high, mostly because of item 1. People start too early and have to deal with hairy snow conditions immediately. The challenge with this is you haven't spent hundreds of miles getting prepared for the conditions. In a normal NOBO hike hikers are spoon fed snow. First San Jacinto and Baden Powell and then later the Sierra. Even in a high snow year I believe the Sierra is tamer than Northern Wa. So you would be taking on some pretty challenging conditions right from the beginning. That is what knocks so many SoBoers out. Go to postholer and look back 2010 and later at some SoBo journals.
    2) watch snow level for WA. I believe they are currently having a major snow year. that may or may not continue but it is more critical for SOBO than say Sierra snow is for a NoBo. For perspective There was only 1 or two SoBoers that finished in 2011, one of them being Scott Williamson. It was a big and late lasting snow year with snow continuing into August.
    3) I wouldn't consider doing a SOBO without being able to do consistent 30 mile days. I know one successful SOBO from '14 that did a 98 day hike. He is a very strong hiker and a great guy. he could probably give you some pretty good perspective. he is Joshua Bobcat Stacy on Facie.

I agree with the above points that Malto made.

Having NOBO thru-hiked, I can tell you that the SOBO'ers had it very rough. You're not spoon fed the difficulty as mentioned before. You're going to be alone most of your trip, and because of the high amount of snow the mountains are getting this year, you won't be able to start until late in the season. This means blasting a huge amount of miles a day, alone, the entire time. If that's what you're up for it certainly sounds like you have the experience for it, I just imagine it would be very tough mentally and physically to do it.

This year is forecast to be optimal for a SOBO. It should be another low snow year in WA, and temperatures are forecast to be hot, and early.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    This year is forecast to be optimal for a SOBO. It should be another low snow year in WA, and temperatures are forecast to be hot, and early.
    What resources do people consult to determine trail conditions?

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I now realize that starting at the appropriate time - NOT TOO EARLY - is more important than mountaineering experience. My plan is to monitor trail conditions in the Cascades and make a decision in March whether to NOBO or SOBO. Is March too early to be making that call?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KathyD View Post
    What resources do people consult to determine trail conditions?
    Postholer has the best snow information that I'm aware of for the PCT. April is when you would want to get the start date locked in, the snowpack will be pretty set by then.

Step 1) First time use of an ice ax consists of "OH S&%T I'm sliding down the hill!!" Promptly followed by deploying said ax into anything nearby. Promptly Solving the sliding problem.
    Step 2) Most things on your list are irrational worst case fears. Should be more worried about mosquitoes; bloodsucking minions of hell.
    Step 3) Check out NOALS books and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyD View Post
    I've never used an ice axe before or hiked in crampons.

Lol ATAdam. I do have a tendency to "worse case scenario" situations. Thanks for the reminder to relax:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    Is it still looking this way? Planning on starting mid-July to early August...

++ New Posts ++