WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default McAfee Knob Hike

Hi All. Haven't been on the site in too long, but am finding time to hike again and need to take the opportunity when you can. I'm looking for some tips regarding a trip to McAfee Knob.
    My question: I am planning on driving down from NJ the weekend of May 13-15/16. Does anyone have suggestions on where to park, which trails to use/avoid, where to camp/shelter, etc. so as to get the most from the couple of days I will have down there. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I plan on either ordering the ATC map for the area, or the NatGeo map. Suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. I use my NY/NJ ATC maps locally, but use NatGeo Maps when visiting the Smoky Mtns.

Again, Thanks all, and happy hiking!

Journal Entries
    Images

McAfee Knob is crazy crowded on the weekends. Where do you plan on hiking? Do you want to do the "Triple Crown" (Dragon's Tooth/McAfee Knob/Tinker Cliffs)? Are you just hiking the AT or do you want to explore other trails?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I don't necessarily need to stay on the AT, would love to explore other trails of interest. I could stay as late as late as Tuesday also (friday evening-Tuesday) so as to avoid the crowds as well as save the Knob Hike for Monday if that would be better.

The triple crown looks and sounds great. Any suggestions on what order/how to tackle that? Mileage? Thanks JM Blaster!!

I am going to do the triple crown for my next multi-day trip, but haven't been yet so I have the same curiosities as you. I'll definitely go during the week. Crowds aren't my thing.

This is the route I was planning to take, but don't know if it's the best one or not.
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/triplecrown.htm

AT 2012

last time I was there in the spring I couldn't get a parking spot at the very large lot at the trail head, and all the cars parked on the road shoulder were ticketed. by the way, you can park at the trail head overnight -- mI have safely done that on other trips. it might help to get there either early or late... people tend to finish up walking by late afternoon. (ok, full disclosure, -- I did have a 24 foot uhaul with a boat trailer, and I assured my son it was barely out of our way home from Florida and we should stop for a little walk, and we had to leave the darn thing at The Homeplace in Catawba and walk back up to the trailhead... oh well.)
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    last time I was there in the spring I couldn't get a parking spot at the very large lot at the trail head...
    Thanks for the heads up. Was this during the week, or on the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by goathanger View Post
    Those lots on 311 fill up fast. I've not had a problem if there by noon on a Friday.

Images

If you have a few days, park at the Kroger in Daleville and get someone from the outfitter there to shuttle you to 311, then walk back. You'll get McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs that way. Makes a nice overnight, or could be a 2 night if you take it really easy.

Note that you can't camp at the knob itself.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by goathanger View Post
    weekend! circus act!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If you have a few days, park at the Kroger in Daleville and get someone from the outfitter there to shuttle you to 311, then walk back. You'll get McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs that way. Makes a nice overnight, or could be a 2 night if you take it really easy.

Note that you can't camp at the knob itself.
    If you have the legs, get the dropoff at VA620, and you'll also be able to hit Dragon's Tooth.

Thanks for the info, gents. Not my thread, but I sure do appreciate the feedback.

I wouldn't want to go on the weekend anyway. I like at least a little solitude when out in the woods.

I haven't decided on doing the 28 mile or 37 mile version of the triple crown hike, so I'll try and plan to be at each vista in the morning... lolligag for a couple hours, then move on. From what I've read, it seems like Dragon's Tooth is a hangout spot for Virginia Tech students because of the close proximity to parking. Definitely want to hit that during the middle of the week in the morning if possible.

@PeterPan85, apologies for slight thread high jack... I just had the same questions.

VA311 Parking Lot: 37.3804,-80.0893
    Dragon’s Tooth Parking Lot 37.378368,-80.156052
    These are the Lat/Longs I have used for the parking lots for use in a GPS.
    Alex: What does Connecticut have to offer us?
    Melman: Lyme Disease.
    Alex: Thank you, Melman.

Joe Mitchell, proprietor of the nearby 4 Pines Hostel in Catawba could be of great help to you, especially if you needed a safe place to leave a vehicle for awhile, or needed a shuttle to or from Daleville. You can reach him at (540) 384-7599 or (540) 309-8615 Personally, I'd do this section of the A.T. Northbound; I'd leave my car at 4 Pines, and have Joe pick me up in Daleville, preferably at 3 Lil Pigs Bar-B-Q, a five minute walk from the Trail. There are all sorts of places to overnight in this section, including several shelters. My favorite place to camp is the campsite .3 past Lambert Meadow Shelter. Beautiful tentsites, good water, right on the Trail.

Hey all, thanks for the great information. Just got back from spending a wet two nights in the (flat!) South Jersey Pine Barrens covering some miles. @Goathanger, I think we are both just as curious! Good Stuff! I think I will be pushing this off until I can arrange a few weeknights and come down. Also later in the season when I can surely tackle all three spots mentioned in one trip. Glad I asked before Driving down next Friday into a crowded chaos! Thanks again all!

@JackTarlin I am noting all this down in my notebook for planning. Ending a hike at a BBQ spot would be heaven

Images

Great hike, just did it a few weeks ago. We parked at the Dry Cleaner in Daleville, Homer Wichser shuttled us after a great dinner at The Homeplace. Dragon's Tooth UP from the south to north is a solid hike. The down is tricky. Nice hike to McAfee's Knob, last 1.3 Miles up to Tinker Cliffs is also a challenge. Last time I went North to South which is easier.

I ended up making reservations for three nights at High Point State Park, NJ--- Sawmill Pond. Will day hike a few short sections of the AT in that area and maybe get some fishing in while I am at it! Thanks again all!

WHAAAAAT?!?!? Blasphemy! Just kidding with you, have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    WHAAAAAT?!?!? Blasphemy! Just kidding with you, have a great time.
    Thanks! Haha I know, quite the compromise. I'm definitely going to plan for a few weekdays at the knob in the early fall.
    Plus, I will be able to get a little fishing in this weekend too!

++ New Posts ++