WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie, weekend trip at gear report

[COLOR=#444444 !important]I did a mere 24 miles on the AT this weekend, Standing Indian Loop. Had a chance to try my mostly new gear and jotted down questions or ways to improve in the future.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-For water, I had a Target brand 2L hydration back with hose. I like the hose easy access and being able to drink while hiking (and I drink lots of water) but what I dont like is the flabby nature of the hydration pack and opening and closing (big knob in the middle with which cant easily pour water in or out. I was a little baffled, some hikers dont drink and walk simultaneously? I saw all kinds of systems.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-Perhaps a 1 or 2 L platypus with a hose would be my thing?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-I was advised in another forum to not use a backpack rain cover and just use a trash compactor bag. So thats what I did. Well it rained hard and my pack got a bit soaked (the stuff inside was fine but I dont see the upside overall). Maybe I misunderstood the advice? Whats a good lighweight pack cover? I have an Osprey Atmos 65.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-I put my food in a Sea To Summit Sil Dry Sack, nice. But an ideal food bag would have more odor blocking (or combo with a second bag?) for half ass quickie hanging on tree (like no rope, whatever branch i can reach because im exhasuted) and….. a bag that is compartmentalized so as not to dig through the bag every time?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-Definitely some kind of sitting pad next time! Suggests?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#444444 !important]-Fizan poles…..disappointed, grips so small, made my hands work more and couldnt feel any girthy support in the poles overall.

-Pot wise, I used a GSI Soloist, only used the pot. I like it mainly because it has a closing/locking handle which locks up the pot and everything inside it. Any lighter pots out there that have this locking gimmick? Also, I didnt bring the pot lid. Any benefit to bringing pot lid?

[/COLOR]

sorry, I dont know why my post has code in it

reposting........

++ New Posts ++