WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Hi everyone, I'm thru-hiking NOBO starting May 8 and making a documentary!

Hey everyone my name is Jack, I'm starting NOBO May 8. I'll be bringing my Canon 70D to shoot a bunch of video and photos to turn into a full-length documentary after I'm finished. I'll also be uploading weekly video updates to my YouTube channel.

The decision to hike was kind of last minute. Up until March I was working on getting investors for a startup I co-founded last year. Well we did find investors. With that accomplished I realized I really hated the idea of spending the next 4-5 years sitting in this office grinding away when really what I wanted to do was hike the AT and make a documentary. It was really eye-opening when I thought it through - build a start-up, make a bunch of money, and THEN when I had free time and money, THEN I would go hike the AT and make a documentary.

I was doing it backwards! I realized I would never have more time or freedom than I do right now. Business opportunities will always be there. There were a few other reasons for leaving the business, hiking the AT was just the final puzzle piece that made it a no-brainer to drop it and move on.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Anyone else starting NOBO around the same time?

Journal Entries

Have been training like crazy for the trail. Did 100 reps of squats with 80kg yesterday. Fitness should be good to go my only concern is getting blisters the first few weeks in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GysdiJrHhnI

Jack... Sounds very cool. What's a squat? Just kidding, but hey I'm an old, tall, thin guy who will be starting on Tuesday May 10th. I am a pretty competent runner ( running the Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon on Sunday), so my cardio is good, and if I catch a groove, I may come up behind you in a few days, and if so, we'll do the documentary thing! Take care. Have a great start.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Jack... Sounds very cool. What's a squat? Just kidding, but hey I'm an old, tall, thin guy who will be starting on Tuesday May 10th. I am a pretty competent runner ( running the Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon on Sunday), so my cardio is good, and if I catch a groove, I may come up behind you in a few days, and if so, we'll do the documentary thing! Take care. Have a great start.
    Hey cool I'll keep an eye out for you. Good luck on your hike

Very cool, Jack! I also see you are from Missouri (I am in Northern MO). I am starting on May 15 so depending on how fast you are moving we may meet up at some point. I am a retired Marine and I am hiking to raise money for a veterans organization.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid fool View Post
    Very cool, Jack! I also see you are from Missouri (I am in Northern MO). I am starting on May 15 so depending on how fast you are moving we may meet up at some point. I am a retired Marine and I am hiking to raise money for a veterans organization.
    Oh no way! Cool! What org are you raising money for? I'll pitch in a few bucks. I'm actually hiking to support the Boy's and Girl's Club of Columbia, going to use the money raised to help them build an after-school gaming program that uses competitive video games to teach kids similar lessons that they'd pick up from a traditional team sport(that's what we were doing with the start-up).

I'm starting the 8th or 9th from Springer. Where are you starting?

Quote Originally Posted by SGTJones View Post
    Just wanted to introduce myself. Anyone else starting NOBO around the same time?
    I'm starting from Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center on May 8 on an eight day section hike to Franklin. I'll be the guy in an orange hiking shirt and orange ball cap. I guess you'll be the muscular guy with the snazzy camera equipment.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

I am starting on the 5th maybe see u on the trail.. Are u doing the approach???

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhoward View Post
    I'm starting the 8th or 9th from Springer. Where are you starting?
    Starting from the approach trail morning of the 8th, see you on the trail!
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I'm starting from Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center on May 8 on an eight day section hike to Franklin. I'll be the guy in an orange hiking shirt and orange ball cap. I guess you'll be the muscular guy with the snazzy camera equipment.
    Lol, more like I'll be the guy getting crushed by his ridiculous pack full of camera crap. See you on the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by K.O.G. View Post
    I am starting on the 5th maybe see u on the trail.. Are u doing the approach???
    Yep yep going to do the approach!

Images

Wow another AT video,I can't wait.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries
    Images

<Sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Wow another AT video,I can't wait.
    /Sarcasm>

The thing is, though...I'll watch it!

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Sgt Jones. Sgt Taylor here. USArmy. 10 years. Hope you make it. I did the Springer to Neels Gap April 1 to 4. Doing Neels to Damacus June 13th plus. March 13 2017 thru hiking. Good luck

++ New Posts ++