WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    I've read most of the comments on this issue and here's my take: sure, GoPros and video equipment and the like are harmless, at least physically. They're not going to bite you. Neither does litter. But one of the reasons many of us hike the AT is to get away from technology, which is all-pervasive these days, especially leisure technology (just walk into a restaurant and look at the patrons). To see it in the middle of a deep, peaceful forest is just disconcerting... at least, to me. It compromises the "spirituality" of a wild environment. We started with cameras. Then came cell phones. Then smartphones. Now GoPros. Next, I'm sure it will be personal drones buzzing through the trees. You can't fight it except to vent. I'm sure some techies out there will not like my stance. But there you have it, and I feel better now that I've vented! Peace.
    You know what grinds my gears most of all? Musical instruments. Guitars, harmonicas, etc. There is nothing worse than some hipster d-bag who pulls out his guitar and starts playing around a campfire. Video gear or a cellphone are most likely only taking a few minutes, and it's easier to ask someone to step away from the shelter when using their phone. Try doing the same thing to a musician at a shelter. A harmonica and guitar duet at 7pm can go for hours.

Two years ago, I witnessed a thru-hiker receive a package at the Hiker Hut hostel up in Maine. It contained a full-sized plastic trumpet, which the guy immediately began playing... At least you could hear them coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    You know what grinds my gears most of all? Musical instruments. Guitars, harmonicas, etc. There is nothing worse than some hipster d-bag who pulls out his guitar and starts playing around a campfire. Video gear or a cellphone are most likely only taking a few minutes, and it's easier to ask someone to step away from the shelter when using their phone. Try doing the same thing to a musician at a shelter. A harmonica and guitar duet at 7pm can go for hours.
    Capehiker; Thanks for reminding me about self absorbed folks, I've always been irritated by that guy who breaks out the guitar at a gathering too. I've decided to leave my ocarina at home for my 2017 AT hike. The sounds and sensations of the hike itself will be my music.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Capehiker….I feel your pain, but have to disagree. First,... there are MANY things worse than some " hipster d-bag " ( I really don't even know what that is, but people seem to not like hipsters ) pulling out a guitar. For one, someone playing a guitar that is out of tune, Two….any Adele song ( ha ha ) Three, banjo ( ha ha ) ( but the banjo is the go to defense against cell phone users ……trust me )

But seriously, Even hikers that hate shelters, tent camp around them. WHY? To be around people. It seems like you might enjoy the solitude of a more wilderness type of campsite. Don't worry….my banjo weighs 12 pounds, but you got me thinking about it

Not all players are performers, some of us would never break it out in, preferring the quite solitude that our front porch personal nylon shelters provide...least I do.

Hootnannys.... the torture magnified when neither of the impresarios can work their respective instruments with much skill.

The ideas are awesome. Wish more people would do them. The low production quality is charming and exactly the point, something that the grouch of an OP is missing.

I hope no no one is discouraged from creating because of this thread. Would be a shame.

Well you would obviously not like me as I'm going to be vlogging my walk next year. I'm doing it as a way to show my family and members of my bushwalking club the flora, fauna, people and places on the AT, which from the vlogs I've watched are so different from walking trails in Australia. I don't particularly care if others watch or like them. Stuff the gopro too I will be using a Sony, much better picture quality and a stability feature. Of course they are all downgraded on youtube so I suppose it doesn't matter.

What next a bitch about too many people keeping a trail journal (I'm doing one of those as well). If you don't like them, don't watch them, pretty simple.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++