WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Too many VLogs on the tube.

Maybe im being bitter cause I'm not out thru hiking. I'm guilty of doing a Vlog. I captured videos on my LT thru hike in 2014. However, every time I go onto YouTube it seems I find ten more people are doing a video log of their hike. I have mixed feelings. I can appreciate it, capturing your epic journey. However it seems like so many people are trying to do the Will "redbeard" Wood and Joe Brewer thing. Not trying to sound like a party pooper but it seems these past two seasons everyone comes around the corner with a gopro in your face. It annoys me, for some unknown reason, that people just want to post them to facebook and YouTube for the social media gratitude. I think were in a fad. Is hiking the AT a "fad" right now? I think more and more people are heading out cause of a certain eh hem movie.

Ba humbug. I'll hike the trail someday, when it seems like its no longer "the cool thing to do"

Bring on the ruckus. I'm being a buzzkill

Journal Entries
    Images

I record full length bike trail videos, and have the equipment to be really annoying on hiking trails, but I don't. Know why? Hiking videos are boring as hell. Unless you have high dollar stabilization equipment, they give you vertigo. When I see people with GoPros, I just smile and wave, because I know it probably isn't going to make NatGeo. But the time and effort it takes to do filming and editing right reduces the number of people whose work will get any substantial hits. I do watch a lot of YouTube "instructables" to learn new skills or see how something goes together or comes apart. It is a fad because good cameras are so cheap now, but I think the other side of the coin is that people realize that there is a new skill set to learn. Let 'em have fun with it. The trail will still be there once Wild and WITW are on sale for a dollar at WalMart.

I view it more like this. Just because someone has access to a computer with word processing does not make them a writer. Trained writers, authors and editors worked to develope there craft, respectively having a "point and shoot, GoPro or a $9,000 dollar HD camera with steady cam, on board Doppler and nex-rad real time does not make one John Ford. It takes me about 2 secounds to see the difference, but who cares, all these people are havin' fun...don't watch em if it agitates ya, tha'd just be insane, and if someone points a camera in your face, ask them not to, if they won't ablige...well, I think you know what happens next, which now that I think about it would make a very interesting shot, a picture rimmed with anus, kinda like a key hole frame...I don't think John Ford or Quintin Tarrintino ever did that one, and I seen a lotta thier movies.

Not something I stay up at night worrying about, that's for sure. Where's the harm? Video is the cool "new" media, still photos are kinda passé. I get that, old phart that I am. I carried a 35 mm SLR camera over much of the AT and many other hikes besides. No regrets. I have those images to treasure forever.

Here's a link to one of the best AT movies ever. Wonderful photography, along with a moving, personal story. Not shot with a GoPro. http://theatmovie.com/

I'm about half way through my thru hike (taking two days off in DC right now), and I admit...I'm very much into Vlogging my hike. But I don't do it because it's a "fad", I do it because it will be a fantastic way to, in addition to pictures and memories, relive my hike. Yea, I took a lot of pointers from Redbeard...but ya know what, I really really really enjoyed his videos, so why not. It's also a great way to share my hike with those people closest to me (especially my Dad). Finally, YouTube Vlogs were incredibly helpful for me when I was preparing for my hike too...so in my opinion, the more the merrier!
    Ryan "RyNO" Johnson
    NOBO 2016
    February 27th - July 1st
    www.youtube.com/RyanJohnsonAT2016

May I respectfully disagree. I have been captivated by several video blogs of thru hikes. I am way more interested in them, than watching murder cop shows on TV. Some are just eye candy, some are informative, some are fun, some are not as good. But when I find one I really like, and it ends, I am glad that there are more to choose from. ( I was here first….no newbies allowed ?????? )

Its just the new eyeroll that started with, "Glad to see you, I have the projector set up to show slides from our recent trip to Lake George".

AND !!!!!!!!! I really enjoyed watching videos of the slot canyons that I hiked. I was able to relive hikes, and see things that I forgot. I watched severall videos of the same canyons, as each one featured different scenic spots. Also, I watched quite a few videos of failed hikes, sometimes laughing out loud, thinking that they might be a spoof, sometimes learning what not to do.

It might die down. But to some degree, this is the way of the world. Technology and people "capturing" as much as living is everywhere. People also instagram their dinner and fall off cliffs while doing selfies.

No longer do you need to brag about your hike by calming responding with "2,200 miles" when asked how far you hiked. You can just give them the link to your 4 outdoors websites.

If someone is alone in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If you have a gopro on.. then yes, it did.

I enjoy some videos of thru-hikes, but mostly the ones that get to the end and THEN put an hour-long video on YT...I've found the good ones interesting and fun to watch (especially when I have nothing else to do at work). If the filming is terrible and inconsistent, I turn it off. I have noticed, however, that the better videos have been from PCT or JMT hikers. Maybe it's because the scenery is easier to film and has much more varied terrain and features.

When I attempt my PCT thru in 2 years I would like to film it (I do some amateur work already) but mostly for me, and for my family to see. It is doubtful I would do a weekly update Vlog, but more like I what I mentioned above...an hour or so of the highlights of the hike. I've done this for trips to Italy, three working summers on guest ranches etc and it has worked out well.

Journal Entries
    Images

My son and I watched that just last week. Very well done, it "hit me right in the feels."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Not something I stay up at night worrying about, that's for sure. Where's the harm? Video is the cool "new" media, still photos are kinda passé. I get that, old phart that I am. I carried a 35 mm SLR camera over much of the AT and many other hikes besides. No regrets. I have those images to treasure forever.

Here's a link to one of the best AT movies ever. Wonderful photography, along with a moving, personal story. Not shot with a GoPro. http://theatmovie.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a lot of video from my hikes from last year, not so much to show others (no one has seen them yet as I haven't edited them or uploaded on YouTube), but for ME to look at when I'm old and decrepit and can't walk any more. Yes, they're shaky, but I do lots of other video editing so I have the software to overcome it. I plan on embedding them in my blog sometime this year.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

AND !!!!!! ( again already ) I saw some videos of the PCT,and the CDT that warned me that I would probably be getting in over my head. ( Ice Storms in August, Dried up water sources, long stretches of lava rock with nowhere to camp, altitudes that crippled young tough athletic guys, scarce resupply locations ) I was able to pick out sections that were manageable for a older guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ryjohnson09 View Post
    I'm about half way through my thru hike (taking two days off in DC right now), and I admit...I'm very much into Vlogging my hike. But I don't do it because it's a "fad", I do it because it will be a fantastic way to, in addition to pictures and memories, relive my hike. Yea, I took a lot of pointers from Redbeard...but ya know what, I really really really enjoyed his videos, so why not. It's also a great way to share my hike with those people closest to me (especially my Dad). Finally, YouTube Vlogs were incredibly helpful for me when I was preparing for my hike too...so in my opinion, the more the merrier!
    You're one of three thru hikers I've been following. Your vlog is very well done. I look forward to your updates.

You sure are moving at a fast pace. It's good that you didn't get stuck on the wrong side of the fire.

Watch out for the bears.

...also the advent of the digital video/camera has allowed biologist, cryptozoologist and others to capture images which crushed the learning curve on the wilds

I don't mind the vlogs but the gear reviews that include new/untested equipment.. Don't get me started.
    It's like watching a cooking show only to learn they've never eaten that food before.

I just wish that more of the videos were better edited! Many have some good content, but, I can't bring myself to sit through the seemingly endless minutes of walking down the trail talking to the camera to get to those few really good moments, occasionally one of which might be talking to the camera, but, I'm so pissed and bored by then that I don't care.

Please, all you budding movie makers, they give academy awards for editing for a reason. All the great footage in the world doesn't make a good movie until it is edited. Editing poor footage can often make a pretty good movie. Even the pros shoot 100's of hours of film for an hour of movie, because 90% isn't worth sharing with other people. I personally watched a 60 minutes crew shoot over 40 hours of film for a 60 second (not 60 minute) spot in one of their episodes. Wow. Get a clue!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Maybe im being bitter cause I'm not out thru hiking. I'm guilty of doing a Vlog. I captured videos on my LT thru hike in 2014. However, every time I go onto YouTube it seems I find ten more people are doing a video log of their hike. I have mixed feelings. I can appreciate it, capturing your epic journey. However it seems like so many people are trying to do the Will "redbeard" Wood and Joe Brewer thing. Not trying to sound like a party pooper but it seems these past two seasons everyone comes around the corner with a gopro in your face. It annoys me, for some unknown reason, that people just want to post them to facebook and YouTube for the social media gratitude. I think were in a fad. Is hiking the AT a "fad" right now? I think more and more people are heading out cause of a certain eh hem movie.

Ba humbug. I'll hike the trail someday, when it seems like its no longer "the cool thing to do"

Bring on the ruckus. I'm being a buzzkill
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I record full length bike trail videos, and have the equipment to be really annoying on hiking trails, but I don't. Know why? Hiking videos are boring as hell. Unless you have high dollar stabilization equipment, they give you vertigo. When I see people with GoPros, I just smile and wave, because I know it probably isn't going to make NatGeo. But the time and effort it takes to do filming and editing right reduces the number of people whose work will get any substantial hits. I do watch a lot of YouTube "instructables" to learn new skills or see how something goes together or comes apart. It is a fad because good cameras are so cheap now, but I think the other side of the coin is that people realize that there is a new skill set to learn. Let 'em have fun with it. The trail will still be there once Wild and WITW are on sale for a dollar at WalMart.
    Don't you think you could find something a little more worthwhile to get your panties bunched up for? All that vlogging is just the natural evolution of slide shows and family vacation Super 8 movies, and the dinner parties people use to host to show off their slides and films. YouTube is a much more tolerable progression.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...also the advent of the digital video/camera has allowed biologist, cryptozoologist and others to capture images which crushed the learning curve on the wilds
    Come on Socks, that makes no sense.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    I don't mind the vlogs but the gear reviews that include new/untested equipment.. Don't get me started.
    It's like watching a cooking show only to learn they've never eaten that food before.
    I like to watch the gear reviews that are done after the thru hikes are over. That gives you a better idea of what really became important.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++