WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice for good 2 week hike starting late May/early June

My son and I would like to hike part of the trail. We live in Amsterdam and can get away in total 3 weeks (from 23rd May). Ideally we would like:
    good scenery, not too cold, not too hot (I know - define 'too' - but we work in celsius so not below 5 and not above 30 would be ideal!). One important issue is getting to/from the trail from one of the main international airports (so: Boston, NY, Philly, Washington). My thinking for the trip would be 1-2 days after arrival to settle/get to trailhead/get supplies, 12 - 15 days hiking (starting easy, its been a while, building up to maximum 15-18 miles per day; we are in no rush), then 3 to 4 days at the end to do unwind (shower/steak/some sightseeing) before flying out. A loop maybe? Look forward to your suggestions.

Jon, Is your budget a big issue? ( Some folks look for the cheapest option, Some folks don't mind burning money ) The Vermont Section of The Appalachian Trail is about 149 miles. I remember buses dropping off people in random spots in Vermont. ( possible mud and bug issues ). Vermont is shady, has some views from mountains, has water.

If money is no concern, Fly in to Las Vegas, rent a car, Grand Canyon, and your choice of 100 other 1,2,3, or 4 day hikes.

Thanks mandolindave. Not made of money so don't want to burn it! And I had considered Grand Canyon before but thought that it was going to be very hot even in late May/early June?

Jon, It is about the perfect time for the Grand Canyon, which is one of the reasons that I mentioned it. But yes, the desert in the Southwest can get hot. One time I woke up on top of the Grand Canyon covered in snow, and that afternoon it was 90 F at the bottom. I shoot for the last two weeks in May in canyon country. 90 F in the day 45 F at night. Any earlier and you freeze at night, any later and you bake in the the day. The temps drop 40 to 50 degrees F in 15 to 30 minutes after sundown. I like to hike 5 am to 9 am, and 5 pm to 8 pm in the desert. If this might be the only time that you come to the USA, I would pick The Grand Canyon. But some wilderness hikers and Thru Hikers might hate the crowds.

Thanks again for the extra info and advice. I'll look again at the Canyon options. We were hoping not to be among too many crowds and experience some wilderness/solitude if possible. But it won't be the last time we come to the USA (and not the first - I went to school in Philadelphia and worked for a while in N. Jersey and in Ohio).
    Thanks again

Stay out of black fly territory - NY and New England - prime time is May and June - the majority of through hikers should be through the southern sections of the trail by then and higher elevations in TN/NC/VA will still be tolerable temperatures at that time - Grayson Highlands, Roan Highlands, and Great Smoky Mountains might be a good choice.
    If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

P.S. Atlanta airport should be easy access from Europe.
    If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Images

I like the southern part, too, and in late May the weather will be lovely. You could fly to Atlanta and get a reservation at The Hiker Hostel which is near the trail. They will pick you up, put you up for the night, take you to a great outfitter to gear up, and drive you to Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the AT. You can hike as long as you like, then make arrangements to get back to Atlanta for a flight home. You'll be able to hike all of Georgia and much of North Carolina. Good scenery, views, cool nights, warm days. Afternoon thunderstorms. Trail not too crowded. Plenty of steep climbs and descents so you know what the AT is really like.

Alternatively, fly to Washington DC and take the train to Harper's Ferry. You can get a place to stay there and get supplies in this lovely small town. Then start hiking south on the AT. You'll get through Shenandoah National Park easily in two weeks, maybe a little further. This is a pretty section, again with decent weather. Probably more people on the trail, but that can be fun too. Easy resupply in Front Royal, and plenty of food to be had in the Park (which will be your second week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++