WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What can y'all tell me about Daddy's Creek to Nemo bridge in the Obed section? I'd like to camp at Rock Creek CG, shuttle to Daddys Creek trailhead and hike back to Rock Creek CG.

Specifically:

Ease of navigation?
    Well signed?
    How dangerous are the rocky bluffs and steps?

Knoxville's River Sports Outfitters on Sutherland Ave is having a Cumberland Trail event..."what you can do to volunteer on the trail".

Thursday, February 9 at 5:30.

Anyone planning to attend?

Pretty cool to hike a trail that no one else is hiking. I wonder how many days I can hike without seeing anyone?

Is anyone out there?

Images

I hiked that section about 3 years ago in the other direction. Not dangerous. Well marked, except when we left the river to hike up to top of bluff. At that time a bunch of trees were down, thus missing blazes, but we made it fine. Call the CT ranger office and ask them for update.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I hiked that section about 3 years ago in the other direction. Not dangerous. Well marked, except when we left the river to hike up to top of bluff. At that time a bunch of trees were down, thus missing blazes, but we made it fine. Call the CT ranger office and ask them for update.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should be fine as a day hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I missed the turn also while hiking to the bluffs. Navigated around blowdowns before realizing I wasn't on the trail so had to backtrack. Can't believe I haven't found ticks on me.

This is an amazing area. I hiked down to the river and had a peaceful rest with a dip in the refreshingly cool water. Saw what looked like two fox on the rocks in the distance, a river otter, fish, deer, frogs. This is a beautiful area.

Unfortunatley, wasn't able to do the section in one go so will have to do another out and back. Like the BMT, I'll probably have enough miles on the CT with out and backs that I could have hiked it twice.

Dang, I missed a lot of posts here, despite being subscribed to the thread. Not sure what happened.

Traffic Jam - sent you a PM.

can any of you guys offer pointers on navigation to the Obed trailheads? I'm hoping to get there this weekend, but I'm trying to avoid gravel roads as much as possible... wondering which is easier to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    can any of you guys offer pointers on navigation to the Obed trailheads? I'm hoping to get there this weekend, but I'm trying to avoid gravel roads as much as possible... wondering which is easier to get to.
    Possibly. Which section?

Rock Creek CG is easy to get to with good roads and parking. You can access both Emory tract for a short, round-trip hike and Obed W&S River northern terminus. I don't know anything about the southern terminus

Close by is Daddy's Creek, which cspan and I hiked yesterday...lots of fun and an easy hike.

(There's an Obed welcome center in Wartburg with maps and knowledgeable staff.)
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 09-08-2017 at 13:47.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm thinking about heading that way tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between Daddy's Creek and Rock Creek CG trailheads. Which is easier to get to coming from I-40? I have an old Sentra so gravel roads are slow-going for me --would rather minimize that as much as possible.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm thinking about heading that way tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between Daddy's Creek and Rock Creek CG trailheads. Which is easier to get to coming from I-40? I have an old Sentra so gravel roads are slow-going for me --would rather minimize that as much as possible.
    To clarify, you are hiking the 14.1 mile section in Obed that has Daddys's Creek trailhead (Devil's Breakfast Table) as southern terminus and Rock Creek CG (Nemo trailhead) as northern terminus...as opposed to the Daddy's Creek segment which is a separate hike?
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 09-08-2017 at 16:09.

sorry for not being clear. I didn't realize that Daddy's Creek section was complete.

Yeah, I was looking at the 14 mile section between Daddy's Creek TH and Nemo Trailhead... just trying to figure out which is easier to get to.

sorry for not being clear. I didn't realize that Daddy's Creek section was complete.

Yeah, I was looking at the 14 mile section between Daddy's Creek TH and Nemo Trailhead... just trying to figure out which is easier to get to.
    You're fine, I get confused by the similar names in the trail descriptions.

There are no gravel roads when using the northern terminus and it's easy to find.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 09-08-2017 at 16:48.

awesome, thanks again. I think i'll go with that since Daddy's Creek is a bunch of gravel roads, if I'm not mistaken.

awesome, thanks again. I think i'll go with that since Daddy's Creek is a bunch of gravel roads, if I'm not mistaken.
    How was your hike? It was a beautiful weekend for hiking.

yeah, it was kinda of a bust unfortunately.... lots of last minute planning and last minute changes of plans led to a poorly planned hike. I was gonna stay out Sat and Sun nights, but got a really late start on Saturday and didn't make it very far. it was going to be a long, long Sunday if I wanted to out-and-back the whole section. so I stopped short the first day and pushed a little bit further --about a mile past Anvil Rock-- on Sunday and just walked back out.

but I did get a nice, relaxing bag night on the banks of the Obed. at some point I woke up to the sound of hogs snorting nearby. I saw at least like 50 frogs on the trail. I saw literally NObody on the trail... a few folks camped at Rock Creek but no one else. not even day hikers or other cars at the trailhead.

I appreciate your help, TJ. I have a few other CT sections (or Cumberland hikes in general) done if you're ever in need of beta.

yeah, it was kinda of a bust unfortunately.... lots of last minute planning and last minute changes of plans led to a poorly planned hike. I was gonna stay out Sat and Sun nights, but got a really late start on Saturday and didn't make it very far. it was going to be a long, long Sunday if I wanted to out-and-back the whole section. so I stopped short the first day and pushed a little bit further --about a mile past Anvil Rock-- on Sunday and just walked back out.

but I did get a nice, relaxing bag night on the banks of the Obed. at some point I woke up to the sound of hogs snorting nearby. I saw at least like 50 frogs on the trail. I saw literally NObody on the trail... a few folks camped at Rock Creek but no one else. not even day hikers or other cars at the trailhead.

I appreciate your help, TJ. I have a few other CT sections (or Cumberland hikes in general) done if you're ever in need of beta.
    No problem, I'll let you know if I have any questions. Glad you had a good time.

I love that area. The campground is great, IMO. Not a soul at the CG or on the trail when I was there mid week.

Does the Ross Gap connector trail/Ross Gap trail starting at Rocky Fork count as CT miles? It is white blazed but switches to blue blazes further up the trail.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 09-16-2017 at 08:32.

CT hikers, I'm looking for a better description of the McDonald Branch creek crossing on the Piney River segment. Exactly how treacherous is it to climb those boulders?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    CT hikers, I'm looking for a better description of the McDonald Branch creek crossing on the Piney River segment. Exactly how treacherous is it to climb those boulders?
    Moderate. The main risk involves slipping and falling. If you do, you are likely to get wet, dirty, and maybe bruised somewhere below the waist. Hopefully nothing more to your body like a twisted ankle. You may break a pole. But as best I remember, there's no risk of tumbling down the mountainside or going over a waterfall. Most of our group of a dozen or so made it fine; one got a wet foot and bruised rear end. There may have been a couple other stumbles but the risk is mostly in the likelihood (it IS tricky to cross), not the severity (you're not likely to die).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++