WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tahoe rim trail -- D.W. permit

Planning to start at Kingsberry South, heading clockwise. Not sure what day I'm going to hit the D.W. Also not sure what time of day it will be when I get there. If it's early, I'll make it farther in. If late, I won't get as far. So, I don't know what zone I'll be stopping at either.
    To get the permit for the D.W in advance, you're supposed to know both the date and the zone. Have any of you guys faced this situation? What'd you do?
    Thanks!

never mind. I got the answer

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    So what's the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    So what's the answer?
    Drop in at the forest service in s. Lake Tahoe and you can get a trt permit. Just have to give them an approx. date that you'll be in the d.w.

When I hiked it, I started at Kingsbury South, but I already had a good idea of what mileage I could do and thus knew what my date was going to be when I overnighted in the Desolation Wilderness. I do recall having to hike an extra hour or so that day to make my campsite. That said, you can get a TRT thru-hiker permit with an approx. date by calling or going in person. The TRT association website has the info:

If you plan to thruhike the Tahoe Rim Trail, you can bypass the quota system but still must obtain a permit. Contact the Forest Service Supervisor’s Office to obtain your permit. Please call (530) 543-2694, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4:30 PM to request a permit by mail or you can visit the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit’s Supervisor’s Office in South Lake Tahoe, CA to pick up your permit in person. Permits are $10 per person plus a $10 processing fee. This is a great option for those who are unsure exactly when and where they will be camping as they pass through Desolation Wilderness on their thruhike. Permits can only be given out within two weeks of when you plan to enter Desolation Wilderness.

thanks Miner. I had found out about those trt permit options. I'm not sure about the mileage I'll do, plus time spent driving around for resupply is another unknown. Anyway, the trt permit does solves the problem.

++ New Posts ++