WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I think it's spelled miel.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Pretty sure this makes us chumps now?

The thread title reminded me of a encounter I once had with a wild animule, it was a relentless deer fly that made me rethink hiking, he persistently attacked me for about 45 minutes. After about a 1/2 hr, 2 neck bites and one elbow welt he was gone, I assumed he had his fill of my blood and moved on, I was very happy as my arms had begun to tire from non stop swatting.

And then it happened, I froze in disbelief, the little Russian MIG shaped deer fly was sitting on top of a boulder in the middle on the trail just starring at me as if to say, "did ya really think I'd be that easy" silly boy...and round two was on. I noticed some hikers coming up the trail and ran as fast as I could towards them leaving the fly following about 10 feet behind me. As I got to the hikers I adbruptly stopped, said hi, waited for the fly to catch up. When I heard to buzzing surround us with his Red Baron fly by's and one impressive Embullman maneuver I put my plan into motion...I split! As fast as I could run saying my good by's on the fly (pun intended) I left that little bugger with my newly acquired temporary friends...I hope they wasted that a-hole deer fly, or at the very least made it out alive.
    fixed it for us.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Your attempt as flirting is lame.
    I only like women.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I was trying to be funny ....I guess I suck at that....both times.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbbweeks View Post
    Ice Water Spring Shelter in the Smokies had a resident skunk that the hikers before me failed to mention! I was cornered, petrified and helpless for near an hour until he search every nook & cranny of the shelter & ate his fill of scraps left by the previous group! I think I was set up!

Tapatalk
    Elvis & Precilla. They were a couple that lived there for several years. I remeber cowering in my sleeping bag as they climbed over everyone & praying nobody would do something stupid & cause them to spray.

I don't know if it was Elvis or Pricilla and didn't want to find out - as soon as I had a chance to escape I was out of there - been sprayed once before - never want that to happen again - The food scraps were the cause of their infestation - shelters are an animal attraction - period!

Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Did you know that skunks will often stamp their front paws on the ground a few times as a warning before they turn around to spray? I learned this one through experience and was quite appreciative that the skunk gave me the two seconds I needed to retreat.
    Black bears will do similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Elvis & Precilla. They were a couple that lived there for several years. I remeber cowering in my sleeping bag as they climbed over everyone & praying nobody would do something stupid & cause them to spray.
    They have wet noses like a puppy dog. Found that out cowboy camping. He wasn't rabid. Just looking around for something tasty or curious.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Black bears will do similar.
    Fortunately I've never been sprayed by a black bear.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Fortunately I've never been sprayed by a black bear.

I'm sure you've witnessed "squirter" bears and other animal squirters. Some animals comes out of them like a projectile. Ever see animals both males and females marking areas? I didn't know cats, both feral and domesticated, and especially wild Big Cats, and some deer family species could hold that much urine psst pst sppt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm sure you've witnessed "squirter" bears and other animal squirters. Some animals comes out of them like a projectile. Ever see animals both males and females marking areas? I didn't know cats, both feral and domesticated, and especially wild Big Cats, and some deer family species could hold that much urine psst pst sppt.
    In blueberry and Saskatoon berry season, I've seen plenty of evidence of squirter bears. Violet blue squirts everywhere! And that's when they're of the least concern to two-legged animals with dry food …
    Worked in a bush camp one summer up in northwestern Ontario. No electricity, so the food that needed refrigeration was stored in screened tree porches. Bears loved those, as well as the messy fish guts left by careless fisherman. The taciturn Finnish logger boss was an excellent shot, and preferred to 'crease' the bears to keep them wary rather than kill them. One day, in an outstanding berry season, we returned from the tree plantings to discover a juvenile bear trying to get into the food. Ollie grabbed his rifle as the bear scrambled up a poplar. Ollie leaned against the tree, carefully aiming for a 'crease' shot and just as he fired, the already frightened bear ejected an enormous purple stream downwards. Ollie didn't move fast enough and got it full in his face. We were immediately quarantined in our cabins, while the assistant boss fired up the sauna. Finnish Ollie spent the whole night in and out of the sauna, in and out of the lake, and in the very early morning we heard his truck depart for home, never to return in shame. Years later, I heard this story repeated as a local legend by a friend from Thunder Bay – and I could say “I was there!" That tree stank for the rest of the summer. Poor Ollie … And that bear was never seen around camp again … Lesson learned. For all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++