WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sorry to ask but...how do you lite your alchy stove?

I'm giving alchy stoves another shot for my solo hikes....using a bic lighter I seem to burn my fingers often..I'm assuming most use a fire rod....any input appreciated. Tired of half full canisters filling my closet.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use and prefer a fero rod. I've seen people dip a stick in alcohol light that and use it like a match if you'd prefer a lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    I use and prefer a fero rod. I've seen people dip a stick in alcohol light that and use it like a match if you'd prefer a lighter.
    Who makes lightest rod?

Don't know about lightest but firesteel.com should have you covered

I've found the lightmyfire scout to be the best weight/value/function. I don't recommend picking up off brand rods, they can be a massive pain to use.

https://www.rei.com/product/102301/l...0-fire-starter

I love my Light MY Fire ARMY Firesteel. It is easy to find in most outdoors stores. I have tried a few others, including the Gerber Bear Grylls product, and found the Light My Fire product produces significantly my spark for the effort. I light every stove, fire and even my charcoal grill with my Light My Fire Firesteel.

Journal Entries

Stick twig or grass in alcohol, light twig or grass, light stove with burning twig or grass.

Allows to do it with windscreen in place

But so does a shower of sparks from firesteel
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2016 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Stick twig or grass in alcohol, light twig or grass, light stove with burning twig or grass.
    Easy enough.....thx

I have made a few stoves . Mt fav is cat food can using a tomato paste in the center . It can't spill lights easy in very cold weather. I don't burn my finger with a lighter

I use a mini-Bic, holding it flat & sideways, flicking with my index finger. Works beautifully! (I have big hands …)

Bruce Traillium

Images

For all but the windiest conditions I always use book matches for lighting stoves. Light, compact, and free at any store that sells tobacco products. I keep several books stashed throughout the pack - always have dry ones. On exceptionally windy days, if I don't find a good spot to cook, I burn my fingers with a bic.
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-23-2016 at 13:21.

Images

dip a single pine needle into the fuel and lite pine needle and dip into fuel. very safe and guick

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Who makes lightest rod?

Pretty the weight comes down to the thickness of the rod and what the handle is made from. That said they hardly weigh much to worry about. Regarding the original question I light all my stoves alcohol or otherwise with a ferro rod. Can't tell you the last time I used a match or a lighter
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Lighting my Penny Stove with just a firesteel can be cantankerous in cold weather. In cold weather, I light from below by putting a few drops of akly in a priming dish, adding a wisp of TP and lighting that.

It helps to hold the striker still and pull the steel back, rather than striking forward. You're less likely to overset the stove, and your aim is better. At least once you're used to it. Or at least that's how I do it, because I'm a klutz.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have made a few stoves . Mt fav is cat food can using a tomato paste in the center . It can't spill lights easy in very cold weather. I don't burn my finger with a lighter
    I agree this is my favorite stove by far.
    I opted to replace the tomato paste can with a small V8 can inside instead.
    And I use a mini bic and sorry OP but never have burnt myself using any of my alcohol stoves
    (hope I didnt just jinx myself lol)
    I just lite it and move my hand idk maybe I just move my hand fast or something but never had a problem with it at all.

I'll bet the lightest spark producer that will reliably light your alcohol stove is the little striker included in this SOL fire kit.
    It weighs essentially nothing. It produces significantly more spark than a bic lighter, but not as much as a full sized fire steel.
    It actually works quite well and it works when it's wet.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Who makes lightest rod?
    goinggear.com sells a 1/8" x 2" blank ("the mouse") that weighs 2g.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I'll bet the lightest spark producer that will reliably light your alcohol stove is the little striker included in this SOL fire kit.
    It weighs essentially nothing. It produces significantly more spark than a bic lighter, but not as much as a full sized fire steel.
    It actually works quite well and it works when it's wet.
    This is what I have used for the last couple of years. Has proven very reliable.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default Blast match or sparkie.

I'm giving alchy stoves another shot for my solo hikes....using a bic lighter I seem to burn my fingers often..I'm assuming most use a fire rod....any input appreciated. Tired of half full canisters filling my closet.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not BP but, I do use the gear on trips including several homemade penny stoves as well as a trangia.

I used to use matches or lighter, but the Blast Match is awesome. But for less money they have an inexpensive one that works nicely , <http://www.amazon.com/UST-20-902-0003-00-P-Sparkie-Fire-Starter/dp/B00930XLTK/ref=pd_sim_468_21?ie=UTF8&dpID=31JwbSCrxgL&dpSrc=s ims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1R6VHX8PME CZJNH16TR9>

I put a kit in each car, I need to make a cook set for each car as well. I have cooked on the side of I 95 going to Boston a number of times, it is a hoot. That one egg wonder and a home brewed lid (now dead, I need to make another) allowing me to make 2 egg omelets, cup of real brown coffee (use an espresso pot, with brown coffee). I need to expand the repertoire

I am interested in making more alky stoves. My one kid wants to hike all of the AT next year, so I am experimenting and will let him give them field tests! I do backyard/car camp/car travel tests.

Here is a swedish firesteel link: http://www.industrialrev.com/swedish-firesteel/

When I purchased mine, they sold blank rods in various diameters and various lengths.

The "Mini" might be the one you like?

I like the Spark-Lite sold in the aviation kit. There are ones available with extra flints in the handle.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-06-2016 at 08:50.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++