WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 20+ mpd hiking

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Didn't realize your 69! What ever your doing rocks!! I'd be thrilled at 8 miles at nearly 70! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Saltysack, but I'm not sure about the age thing... I bet some of you 20+ guys are 69 or older, right???

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Each year I do a "walk for cancer", where you just walk around a high-school track. The event goes from 10 am Saturday till 10 am Sunday.
    The longest I ever did was 8 hours one year, and my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!
    Just doing walks once in a while, in addition to a weekend hike here and there are not sustainable for lifelong health. You gotta do something virtually every day, that doesn't mean you have to kill yourself, but you gotta keep in motion. For me it's running, because it's much more efficient, both in work and time than simply walking. But I also do weights and my primary form of transportation is a bicycle. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, just have to know how to work it in.
    Yeah, I do. 70 flights of stairs, 40 minutes on an elliptical. 100 situps. 3 to 5 times per week. .

Yeah, I do. 70 flights of stairs, 40 minutes on an elliptical. 100 situps. 3 to 5 times per week. .
    That's good, but you've probably gotten yourself in a routine and routines are bad, because your body gets very use to doing those things, but anything else and the body revolts. The body is very lazy that way. That's why I mix it up a lot when I run, lift and even cycle. I don't do the same thing every time, always coming up with new goals.

You say you feel done after 6-8 miles of hiking. What exactly do you feel done about? In other words, what part of your body is not wanting to go any further?

For me, enjoyment and happiness don't increase exponentially with the number of miles one covers in a day. For instance, covering 10-15 miles on an off trail, cross country route can be considerably harder, (and for me more enjoyable), than 30-35 miles on a trail like the AT or PCT. The left-brain is amused by the fact that it can cover (x) miles a day, but the right brain derives happiness from the subjective experience, problem solving on the fly, and the substantial increase in spacial awareness and sensory input. It's why sex is more fun than taxes.

I suspect that over time, those who truly enjoy their time spent outside are those who have, consciously or unconsciously, put their left-brain on a back burner to simmer while bringing the right brain to a boil. In other words, putting in a good days work, accomplishing a goal, and meeting a challenge are measurable left-brain byproducts of what hopefully was a right brain experience.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    That's good, but you've probably gotten yourself in a routine and routines are bad, because your body gets very use to doing those things, but anything else and the body revolts. The body is very lazy that way. That's why I mix it up a lot when I run, lift and even cycle. I don't do the same thing every time, always coming up with new goals.

You say you feel done after 6-8 miles of hiking. What exactly do you feel done about? In other words, what part of your body is not wanting to go any further?
    But then this kinda supports the position that thru hiking wouldn't be enjoyable, wouldn't it? Certainly hiking, daily, for months on end becomes routine pretty soon, right?

After 6 or 7 hours of hiking up and down mountains with 50 pounds on my back, my legs and back are tired. But that's ok, I'm good with that. I was trying to find out if some or all the 20 milers were in such conditioning that they found their days hiking those miles pleasurable - as opposed to the satisfaction you get from accomplishing something really difficult. I'm getting that for some of you, the enjoyment really is in the walking - in addition to the obvious pleasure you get from meeting the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Like others have said, you build up the tolerance and stamina for high mileage. My longest day was 17 miles, and prior to that anything more than 6-8 miles was unfathomable to me. There's a big difference between 45 minutes on the stairmaster and 8 hours of hiking with weight on your back. Now after about 15 miles im ready to call it a day. But ive no doubt that if i hiked long trails or long days a few times a month i could get up to 20 mpd in sane terrain.

Also, i learned like saltysack that sitting in camp for more than an hour alone is boring as hell. So when im out solo, i walk.

Andrew Skurka coined the terms Ultimate Hikers and Ultimate Campers. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but your style can change over time.
    I've never had a problem hitting 18-20 first day out...never been out more than 13 days and that was jmt....I hit the gym daily but I'm definitely not the average hiker build. More like a fire plug at 5'11" 215lbs...usually hike 10-12 hours per day. Just what works for me...

Journal Entries

Well, I enjoy hiking and I hike. But I don't enjoy getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and hiking in the cold and dark. So I might be hiking from 9:30 till 3:30 or 4...
    I dont enjoy waking up after ~ 7 hrs sleep and just lying there. If go to bed at dark, or even before, I cannot sleep 10 + hrs. In colder weather below ~ 30 F or so, Ill sleep late because I dont like frigid pre sunrise starts so much either, but am laying there for several hrs. In warm weather, might as well get up and go.

I prefer to hike until 4 pm , eat dinner and rest for an hour, then hike a couple more miles, 2-5 or so , and find place to sleep.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2016 at 18:51.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Point being, any amount of miles on the trail is better than a day in the office.
    maybe this is unusual, and its a little sad in a way if it is all that unusual. but i disagree. on my best, most enjoyable, most fulfilling days at work, i'd rather be there than hike 8 miles, finish by 1pm and then sit around all day. i dont know if thats a comment on how much i dislike that kind of "hiking" or on how much i, potentially, love my job some days. but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, I enjoy hiking and I hike. But I don't enjoy getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and hiking in the cold and dark. So I might be hiking from 9:30 till 3:30 or 4...
    I dont enjoy waking up after ~ 7 hrs sleep and just lying there. If go to bed at dark, or even before, I cannot sleep 10 + hrs. In colder weather below ~ 30 F or so, Ill sleep late because I dont like frigid pre sunrise starts so much either, but am laying there for several hrs. In warm weather, might as well get up and go.
    Yep - different strokes for different folks, as they say. During my working years, it was not unusual for me to be at the office when it was still pitch-black outside. But out on the trail -especially during the winter months -I have no desire to start walking before I see that ole sun!

Hiking around a track would strip me of motivation pretty quick. Curiosity of what's around the bend motivates me. A cheeseburger, meeting up with friends or getting alone can motivate me to hike faster. But sometimes just being outdoors is enough for me.

I end up altering my goals often, depending terrain, weather, scenery, pack weight, water availability, and which trail. There's so many variables. In the desert, slack packs are almost 20 lbs because of how much water you need. A did a 30 mile day, on a flat, soft, dry river bed, without trail legs, and felt fine. I've done a 7 mile uphill before 8 am and felt fine. I've done a 9 mile downhill day at The Grand Canyon, and felt beat up ( Snow at the top, 90 degrees at the bottom)

Bend the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    How would your new bride feel about that?

Ha. Good thing we didn't sit at home on the honeymoon.

Journal Entries

Yep - different strokes for different folks, as they say. During my working years, it was not unusual for me to be at the office when it was still pitch-black outside. But out on the trail -especially during the winter months -I have no desire to start walking before I see that ole sun!
    Havent done it per se, but theres been times Ive thought as it was getting dark " I could just walk all night" and put in a ~ 50 mile day. I have grabbed only an hour sleep and a couple hours rest before continuing though. Not something you do all the time, but under certain situations it fits.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2016 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I prefer to hike until 4 pm , eat dinner and rest for an hour, then hike a couple more miles, 2-5 or so , and find place to sleep.
    So now you have to set up camp in the dark?
    That's another thing; I wouldn't trust my old peepers that much. If I was hiking at night and the trail forked, I'm not sure I'd notice, and I'd probably take the wrong fork. Or I might not see a perfectly good spot to camp, off to the side. And I'd probably have trouble just setting up in the dark.

So, getting back to what we find enjoyable, I guess it's not all about just stamina. Cause I know for me, regardless if I feel I've got tge strength to keep going, still I'm more comfortable, with my poor ole eyes, being set up before the sun goes down..

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    Hiking around a track would strip me of motivation pretty quick. Curiosity of what's around the bend motivates me. A cheeseburger, meeting up with friends or getting alone can motivate me to hike faster. But sometimes just being outdoors is enough for me.

I end up altering my goals often, depending terrain, weather, scenery, pack weight, water availability, and which trail. There's so many variables. In the desert, slack packs are almost 20 lbs because of how much water you need. A did a 30 mile day, on a flat, soft, dry river bed, without trail legs, and felt fine. I've done a 7 mile uphill before 8 am and felt fine. I've done a 9 mile downhill day at The Grand Canyon, and felt beat up ( Snow at the top, 90 degrees at the bottom)

Bend the rules.
    I almost agree regarding being motivated, walking around the track. But we were raising $$$ for cancer - treatment and research. That gives me a hell of a lot of motivation !
    And, oh yeah. They DID give us cheeseburgers for lunch

Journal Entries

That's another thing; I wouldn't trust my old peepers that much. If I was hiking at night and the trail forked, I'm not sure I'd notice, and I'd probably take the wrong fork. Or I might not see a perfectly good spot to camp, off to the side. And I'd probably have trouble just setting up in the dark.

So, getting back to what we find enjoyable, I guess it's not all about just stamina. Cause I know for me, regardless if I feel I've got tge strength to keep going, still I'm more comfortable, with my poor ole eyes, being set up before the sun goes down..
    I have occasionally come to a place where I couldnt find the trail or was unsure and had to wait for it to get light. One of the reasons I prefer predawn hiking, to nighthiking after sunset. The wait is much shorter.

In warmer weather it dont get dark till late, no need to set up in dark. 0nce youve eaten earlier, all doing is pitching shelter and that takes 5 min and a 5x10 flat spot

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

But it's hard for me to imagine that it's really enjoyable....am I wrong?
    Yes Grasshopper... you're wrong. You're trying to imagine what somebody else finds enjoyable. Imagine what you find enjoyable and do it.

. . . walk around a high-school track. . . my legs were killing me after those 8 hours!
    Mine would be killing me after about 2 hours. My feet and knees can't stand walking on even surfaces, my muscles seem to need some amount of uneven terrain to provide varied muscle use or I get tired fast. In contrast my wife likes even surfaces and gets tired faster when uneven. Go figure.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

This is where the STUPID Light folks loose me.....carrying a pathetic headlamp to save an oz.....my zebra headlight is like gold to me...I don't like being limited by daylight....it lights up the trail when you really need it!

I've always been a strong hiker, so 20+ miles is no problem. A few years ago I did VA in 27 days at the age of 55.

But I no longer enjoy it much, and I do not recommend it unless a desperate situation demands it.

Our goal should be to avoid desperate situations... IMO.

I'm a section hiker so I only hike once a year but I run, workout, etc. during the rest of the year. I thoroughly enjoy the hiking but I just tolerate sleeping in a tent or hostel or whatever. Hanging around in camp is OK for an hour before bed but besides that and a lunch break, I want to be moving down the trail, that's just what I enjoy. I wake up at dawn most days whether I am hiking or not and my favorite time to walk is the late afternoon when it is starting to get cool. I just get a burst of energy when evening approaches, I'm not sure why. Given all that, 20 miles in a day melts away pretty quick.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++