WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Looks more like a long rain jacket than the Packa; kind of a cross between the S2S Ultra-sil Nano Poncho/Pack Cover and a rain jacket. I like the idea of the Packa because of the integrated pack cover.
    yeah that's what I said -

"
    it's like a combination jacket and poncho in that it has arms and shoulders like a jacket but no front entry. instead it is a pullover and the front half is separate from the back, like a poncho, which allows for ventilation."

and - "...
    it's designed to go under, not over, your pack." that means you would still need a pack cover.

if you look at these 4 items - jacket, poncho, pack cover, and Packa, the Packa is the only one that covers all the bases, and that's a pretty neat trick when you get right down to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    if you look at these 4 items - jacket, poncho, pack cover, and Packa, the Packa is the only one that covers all the bases, and that's a pretty neat trick when you get right down to it...
    I agree. Thanks for your comments.
    Cedar Tree

I looked at The Packa web-page and did not see a cuben fiber version. In the video link that was posted earlier in this thread it was stated that cuben fiber was an option. Maybe you have to call and make a special request. Does anyone know?

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    I looked at The Packa web-page and did not see a cuben fiber version. In the video link that was posted earlier in this thread it was stated that cuben fiber was an option. Maybe you have to call and make a special request. Does anyone know?

OkeefenokeeJoe
    As far as I know he only offers it in silnylon, but you might want to email him and ask. Anything is possible with the cottage industry. You might have to purchase the CF and send it to him though.

As far as I know he only offers it in silnylon, but you might want to email him and ask. Anything is possible with the cottage industry. You might have to purchase the CF and send it to him though.
    Thank you, sir.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Thank you, sir.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    You're welcome...and it's ma'am actually

You're welcome...and it's ma'am actually
    HA! My apologies.

I try to talk people out of custom cuben packas now, mainly due to the cost. If lightweight is what you seek, the 10 or 20d fabric is a much better deal at just an ounce or two more. Plus, the custom cubens are made by me while the factory packas are made by true professionals. The factory packas are much better than what I do. Finally, I am having doubts about the lifespan of cuben. The tents I've made seem to last about 2 years and then they start leaking. I've been moving away from cuben in my personal hiking gear as well.

The packa has not been made from silnylon since 2009. It is a sil/pu fabric which allows it to be seam taped on the inside. I thought this was on my website but it is not. I will update it shortly.

Thanks again for the comments and questions.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    I try to talk people out of custom cuben packas now, mainly due to the cost. If lightweight is what you seek, the 10 or 20d fabric is a much better deal at just an ounce or two more. Plus, the custom cubens are made by me while the factory packas are made by true professionals. The factory packas are much better than what I do. Finally, I am having doubts about the lifespan of cuben. The tents I've made seem to last about 2 years and then they start leaking. I've been moving away from cuben in my personal hiking gear as well.

The packa has not been made from silnylon since 2009. It is a sil/pu fabric which allows it to be seam taped on the inside. I thought this was on my website but it is not. I will update it shortly.

Thanks again for the comments and questions.
    CT
    Thank you kindly. Your explanation is perfectly logical. A 20d is going on my gear list at this very moment.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Thank you kindly. Your explanation is perfectly logical. A 20d is going on my gear list at this very moment.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Didn't know he was a member here...glad to have direct responses and feedback on CF, and updated about the fabric. A 20D is on my list too...need another paycheck first.

I've become a poncho convert, recently. I picked up a $22 trial-version poncho off amazon and, after a frustrating wait, got to try it out week ago on a FL trail hike. It wasn't super hot (low 70s) and I wasn't sweating more than usual for what I was carrying (about 25lbs). Rain was off and on, sometimes coming down quite steadily, and I got to camp with just some dampness on my trail runners. I don't think I've ever stayed as dry using a rain jacket/pack cover. Bonus, you can pull the poncho off between showers without having to de-pack, love it.

I'm going to look at lighter, non cuban fiber, ponchos for my mountain hikes this summer.

So much good information here! Now I'm thinking the packa may be the way for me to go instead of a poncho. Hiking out here in western Alaska, when it rains, almost always involves wind, so I think the packa may be more versatile for these conditions.
    Although I have to imagine a poncho would be better yet for warm country hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by iio View Post
    . . . when it rains, almost always involves wind, so I think the packa may be more versatile . . .
    Not more versatile. But, probably easier to deal with. The poncho is still more versatile as far as more ventilation and being used as a tarp and/or ground cloth, etc. I frequently wear my poncho in high mountain winds and it's not a problem up to 30 mph or so, as long as I tie it around my waist. In truly stormy wet mountain weather, I would want a real jacket and I would depend on internal waterproofing (i.e. my compactor bag etc) for keeping my gear dry. I think the Packa makes sense for people that are looking for a really neatly designed and simple and versatile coat and pack cover combined. For all practical purposes, the Packa is still a rain coat with with most of the same advantages and disadvantages, except the Packa also covers your pack. If you don't need the ventilation and you aren't going to use the poncho for anything other than raingear, the Packa is probably the better choice.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The purpose for rain gear is less about staying dry than it is staying warm. Ponchos don't do a good job of keeping me warm, especially when its windy with a standing temperature of 45 degrees and rain. That is a recipe for trouble. If your goal is to not get wet in the rain, thats not in the cards. My goal is to avoid the potential for hypothermia, so I carry a rain jacket. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The purpose for rain gear is less about staying dry than it is staying warm. Ponchos don't do a good job of keeping me warm, especially when its windy with a standing temperature of 45 degrees and rain. That is a recipe for trouble. If your goal is to not get wet in the rain, thats not in the cards. My goal is to avoid the potential for hypothermia, so I carry a rain jacket. FWIW.
    And, we are back to the very wise HYOH.

My goal is reasonable comfort; warmth is part of that, as is being reasonably dry. When moving, I overheat in traditional rain gear down to well below freezing. If not moving much, waterproof breathable rain gear works great. In high winds, I use a very light wind-shirt to maintain my insulation and, if it is raining, I use a poncho, to maintain enough ventilation that I don't wet out from the inside. If it stops raining, I can pull my poncho off and I still have my very light wind shirt to continue maintaining my insulation. That all being said, I've also done day trips where I just used my poncho as my only "wind shirt" when I got up to high elevations in high, cold winds, and it worked surprisingly well. To each, their own. We all just have to keep reminding ourselves that what works for us, is not necessarily what's best for others.

This is why I only tend to use my poncho in warmer weather. Summertime shower hits? Find a rock/stump trailside, take a squat, and sit out the thundershower nice and dry under my poncho. I've used this techique numerous times with my legs hiked up under the poncho while I've sat relaxed and snug. I've stayed completely dry waiting out the 15 minute shower. Ponchos are usually cheap enough to give it a try. Go for it.

Huh? Staying dry is the best method of staying warm. If my rain gear keeps me dry, I only need to adjust for the ambient temp. The purpose of rain gear is to keep you dry, first. The rest is up to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Huh? Staying dry is the best method of staying warm. If my rain gear keeps me dry, I only need to adjust for the ambient temp. The purpose of rain gear is to keep you dry, first. The rest is up to experience.
    The issue was poncho versus rain jacket. I think most would agree that if you are in an all day rain, or walk into a cloud for several hours, you will likely get wet from the precipitation/vapor itself, from wind carrying water/vapor to your body, or from exertion regardless of what rain gear you use. Once I am wet limiting the effects of evaporative cooling conditions becomes the next step from my experience. Yours may vary.

I don't find ponchos work that well for me in 45 degree rain with a wind given their tendency to sail and allow water and vapor entry, nor do I particularly care for their characteristics when off trail doing things. These are fairly common poor weather conditions, +/- 10 degrees I can run into during summer months in mountainous terrain, which is what I prepare for. I've used ponchos and found they were prone to sailing, allowed wind to carry moisture under them, and were inadequate as a wind blocking garment most of the time. I don't dissuade others from using them or Packa type rain ponchos, they just aren't for me.

. . . I don't find ponchos work that well for me in 45 degree rain with a wind given their tendency to sail . . .
    Have you ever tied your poncho down around your waist (and under your pack) with a piece of cord? It works exceedingly well, although it does reduce ventilation some. As for 45 degrees, raining and windy, that what Oregon is 6 months out of every year (constant rain/drizzle/mist, wind and 35-45 degrees). And, that is what I've spend most of my life in, and that is where I started using a poncho in preference to other rain gear options about 10 years ago because it worked so much better at keeping me drier and thus warmer. Also, with the poncho's ventilation, the moisture from sweat (or blown mist) evaporates while you are moving instead of waiting until you stop and take off your jacket and get figgen cold!

Sailing was a non-issue for me. Wind gusts were about 25-30 mph, in a semi-open prairie area and any misting was burned off by hiking. I understand the jacket/pack cover method quite well as this is what I have used for years. For me, in the south-east, a poncho works better, offers more versatility, and, most importantly, keeps me drier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++