WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default great car camping sites in GA, NC or TN with 6 year old?

By great I mean, fun, and scenic.

So far we have done Lake Lanier (nice lake) and Red Top Mtn (meh) parks.

We live in ATL

Look fwd to your suggestions!

Journal Entries

There's the Smokies, of course. You could camp at the Cades Cove Campground, bring or rent bikes and do the 11-mile loop around the cove, or you could simply drive it (one-way traffic, goes real slow) - you will see deer, you might see a bear. Halfway round the loop is the Abrams Falls Trail, a popular summer hike, about 3 miles each way, with the option to wade or swim when you get there. Tons of other options. Since you're not far away, plan on making several trips.

Get a good map of the region and you'll find there are tons of outdoor adventures to be enjoyed. Big South Fork in TN/KY, Tallulah Falls in northeastern GA are both interesting places to go.

Pilot Mountain, NC

Standing Indian campground you could also hike the standing indian loop if you decide to do hike...my kid loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

tombolino,
    You've posted two questions: One here that seems to be asking about front country camping in places not too far away, where as your other question seemed to be asking about back country camping in GA.

The answer I'm going to give you is a suggestion for back country camping in the Smokies (GSMNP) as I've been taking my boys up there for back country camping since they were about 6yo.

Park at the Twentymile Ranger Station located between Hwy 129 and Fontana Village, and do a two night hike staying at campsites #92 and #13. The 1st day, you will pass by a waterfall and the campsite is located at two creeks. You can drive up and hike the same day at6 the distance for the 1st day is less than 5 miles with minor elevation gain. The 2nd day is a steep mountain climb, and with a 6yo, you can expect a pace of about 1mph. But again, the distance for the whole day is less than 5 miles. At the top, you will be rewarded by a great view at Gregory Bald, and campsite #13 is one of my favorite in the whole park. The last day is about a 7 mile (all down hill) return to your car, crossing a creek on foot logs several times.

This hike gives you a little bit of everything that GSMNP has to offer to back country campers, and is not too long for a 6yo to do. Should you decide to do it, ask about a side trip to Moore Spring at the intersection of Long Hungary Ridge and Gregory Bald.

GSMNP back country camping requires a permit and reservations for the campsites and can be obtained online here.

Images

When did the Smokys move to GA?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    OP started two threads.
    This one that seems to be asking about front country camping in GA, NC, TN
    The other one seems to be asking about back country camping in GA only.

My answer had to do with back country camping in GSMNP (NC/TC) which didn't exactly fit with what the OP was asking in either thread (but might be the answer he's looking for).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Plate tectonics. Didn't you hear?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There are lots of good car camping sites in the tanasi area. That's the "new" (yet old) name of the area around the ocoee river whitewater center just outside of ducktown, TN. Stone door and greeter falls in pretty cool too. That's a little north of Chattanooga.

Both these places are only a 2 hour drive from Atlanta.

Lake Powhatan Recreation Area & Campground at Bent Creek Experimental Forest on Pisgah National Forest.

Located near where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses over the French Broad River. Between Hendersonville and Asheville.

Tons of bike trails and hiking trails, access to the Mountain to Sea Trail (marked as Shut In Trail in that area).

Lake swimming with life guard and sand beach.

http://cfaia.org/lake-powhatan-recre...orth-carolina/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

thank you

The forest road at Three Forks has several designated camping spots along the creeks up and down that road. One of my favorite car camping spots.

You might check out Lake Winfield Scott or Vogel State Park here in GA.

++ New Posts ++