WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Could car camp at Andrews Cove and take cove trail up to the AT at Indian Grave. Walk the forest road north about 1/4 mi or so, take Rocky Mtn trail left back up to the AT, then North back to Indian Grave and back. Not terribly hard or lengthy and some great views.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    MAJOR POINT #1: Don't overload a 6 year old! When my 7 year old went hiking, he only carried his clothes - meaning 2 extra pairs of socks, a change of clothes, and a fleece.....
    MAJOR POINT #2: I suggest going for about 5-7 miles a day. Allow the child to stop to "smell the roses," meaning check out any plant, insect, etc. that attracts his/her attention!

Have fun!!!
    The rule of thumb I've always tried to follow for kids is that their pack shouldn't exceed 20% of their body weight. For the average 7yo boy, that's going to equate to about 10lbs.
    I've always had my boys carry their own cloths, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad.
    But when buying gear for kids, you have to pay careful attention to the specs. I've seen many "kid" sleeping bags and "kid" back packs that were way too heavy to expect to be used in putting together a kid pack and stay within about 10lbs.

Until you know your kid's abilities, the rule-of-thumb I read about years ago was to plan hikes that were no longer in mileage that the kids in age. So for a 6yo, make sure you start with trips that will be 5-6 miles per day max.

Woody Gap to Neels Gap
    Park at Byron Reece, shuttle to Woody and hike back to the car.
    Only 11 miles, easy shuttle; take lots of breaks and let him goof off
    My kid loved that we were hiking to Blood Mountain - The Indian legend of the battle and the highest point on GA AT
    Start at Gooch Gap if you want more miles
    And enjoy Mountain Crossings at the end
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

For me, 5-7 miles is enough and I suggest that you should only do a day hike and don't go overnight if this place isn't safe or familiar. Although hiking with a 6 year old baby is quite hard, it's such a great memory for both of you. You can live in a tent but choose a lightweight one like a pop up tent to make your trip more enjoyable.

excellent thread for me. I'm hoping to bring along my oldest 12, and maybe my middle 9 if I can get them both interested enough, on a similar hike next spring or summer.... Interesting rule of thumb about limiting miles to age.....but I can't imagine my 12 year old out distancing my 9 year old.... well, maybe, but my guess is 6-8 for both as a max.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++