WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Blog: How do you find time to go backpacking?

I've got all the gear, now I just have to find time to use it.

This was a fun collaboration to write about. Please give part 1 a read.

How do you find time to go backpacking? Part 1

Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

How I find time to go backpacking:

Walk in boss's office. Say "I'm going backpacking on dates xyz. Is that ok? Thanks!"

Go backpacking!

I really do have an awesome boss.

my recipe for success (or disaster depending on one's perspective): quit a "good" job at 50 for a variety of reasons (boredom?, frustration?, middle age crisis?, fate?, or whatever). Decide to go 'try' a thruhike. Fall in love with the whole thing.Afterwards, only take jobs that allow me the time to hike for weeks or months at a time.If you make this a priority going into a job,things will work themselves out. If this (hiking for extended periods) is a low level priority, then one won't factor that into job or career decisions. either way, it's all good - priorities are different for all of us.

Make the time. Give up something else (generally making more money).

If anyone asks, say "I need to do this before I get any older". There's no decent rebuttal to that.

Academia. And I publish a literary journal.

No-one has ever forced me to teach in the summer (except my bank account); as for my future thru, intend to do that during a sabbatical.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

I have my own business. I can take the best weeks of the hiking season. However it is not quite ready to allow me a thru hike, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After fighting the VA for 12 years, I finally got my disability for PTSD. I'm starting my 2016 thru in a couple of days. I'll probably hike a lot more now that I don't have to worry about money or a job.

Before this, I was able to hike a lot by planning my life. I never wanted to get married or have kids. I have had a couple of relationships in the past, but getting married I knew would be a bad choice for me, as I would lose my freedom. So finding the time to do what I want has mainly about being committed to remaining single.

I'm lucky in that my job (not teaching) lays me off for 3 1/2 months in the summer so I can pack up and go any time from mid-May to mid-August. I also don't have any debt or bills or spouse or kids, except the furry kind, to keep me bound to one location. I'm moving into an RV full time next year, just so I can go explore every area of this country and hike all over the place while still working 3/4 of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydaykid View Post
    After fighting the VA for 12 years, I finally got my disability for PTSD. I'm starting my 2016 thru in a couple of days. I'll probably hike a lot more now that I don't have to worry about money or a job.

Before this, I was able to hike a lot by planning my life. I never wanted to get married or have kids. I have had a couple of relationships in the past, but getting married I knew would be a bad choice for me, as I would lose my freedom. So finding the time to do what I want has mainly about being committed to remaining single.
    Wow, you sound so much like me regarding kids and marriage, but I do think you can get married to the right person and retain your freedom...I just haven't found that person yet, and may never do so either...and I'm okay with that.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Most of the time, I don't find the time for extended backpacking, that's why I remain a clueless weekender. But I can count the years to retirement without taking off my boots...
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Most of the time, I don't find the time for extended backpacking, that's why I remain a clueless weekender. But I can count the years to retirement without taking off my boots...
    Your posts are far from clueless. Although my thru is years away, I am learning a great deal for them. I'm taking my daughter to NYC for her high school graduation, and hope we can take Metro-North to the AT stop and spend a few days hiking around there. She's both very urban and very beach-oriented, but this could be a great little experience for her. The fact that this part of the AT is accessible by public transportation from a large city, I think she'll be amendable to that (and never too far from urban areas that she loves). I also think it's very cool that Metro-North (one of my favorite public transportation lines anywhere) has an AT stop.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    ... I also think it's very cool that Metro-North (one of my favorite public transportation lines anywhere) has an AT stop.
    Just be aware the Appalachian Trail stop is only used on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    Just be aware the Appalachian Trail stop is only used on weekends.
    Thanks for the information!

Images

you can ride to the pawling or wingdale stops on a regular schedule though and walk a few road miles to get to the trail if you need to... or get a cab from the station up to the crossing rt 22.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

or take a train or bus into harriman or bear mtn - tons of trails in those parks
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Thank you, linus!

Journal Entries
    Images

My life trajectory sounds similar. I'd love to pick your brain. PM me if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    my recipe for success (or disaster depending on one's perspective): quit a "good" job at 50 for a variety of reasons (boredom?, frustration?, middle age crisis?, fate?, or whatever). Decide to go 'try' a thruhike. Fall in love with the whole thing.Afterwards, only take jobs that allow me the time to hike for weeks or months at a time.If you make this a priority going into a job,things will work themselves out. If this (hiking for extended periods) is a low level priority, then one won't factor that into job or career decisions. either way, it's all good - priorities are different for all of us.

In this blog entry you talk about the support of your spouse. For me- that was the whole key to hiking the AT. My husband helped me create the space for my hike. It helps that I own my own business, but walking away from it and also my 15 year old for 6 months was really tough. We all survived and thrived. There is never going to be the perfect time because life does not stop happening when you reach a certain age. It will be just as hard to leave grandkids, Im sure. I want to do another long distance hike- but I will wait for my husband to retire for the next one so we can do it together. Meantime- day hikes, weekend hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    In this blog entry you talk about the support of your spouse. For me- that was the whole key to hiking the AT. My husband helped me create the space for my hike. It helps that I own my own business, but walking away from it and also my 15 year old for 6 months was really tough. We all survived and thrived. There is never going to be the perfect time because life does not stop happening when you reach a certain age. It will be just as hard to leave grandkids, Im sure. I want to do another long distance hike- but I will wait for my husband to retire for the next one so we can do it together. Meantime- day hikes, weekend hikes.
    I read your blog...it was very much an enjoyable read. For some reason I haven't found the same quality of interesting blogs about thru-hiking the AT as I have on the PCT.

Part 2 is posted and can be read here.

Thanks.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++