WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Worthington State Forest

Can anyone tell me about the campsite in Worthington State Forest that I've circled in the attached picture? It's about a half mile west of Sunfish Pond.

Is this a strictly thru-hiker site? I am considering an overnight, parking near the Kittatinny Point Visitor Center, hiking up Mount Tammany, then on to the campsite, heading back the next morning.

I haven't really been able to find any information except for in a book of NJ hikes that stated it gets crowded. So, if there's a best time to go, that would be helpful too.

worthington.PNG

Call the Worthington state forest office to get the accurate answer. Phone number is on the official site for Worthington: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rthington.html

I've always found the NJ state parks and forests people happy to engage the public. Let us know what you find out.

I called the office and while the ranger I spoke to was very nice, she really couldn't give me an answer because the campsite isn't Worthington's.

So, here's what I've found. From the state site, http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rthington.html

Sunfish Pond Natural Area
    (258 acres)This impressive glacial lake, surrounded by a chestnut oak forest is reached by a steep and rocky climb along the Appalachian Trail. No swimming or camping is permitted at this area, however, 1/4 mile south of the pond along the Appalachian Trail is a backpacking wilderness camping area. This camping area is monitored by a caretaker who teaches Leave No Trace techniques, precautions on Living in Bear Country and enforces the No Fire regulation.

And this is from Delaware Water Gap. https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvis...-campsites.htm

Within the recreation area, backcountry camping is permitted only along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail and only for hikers on extended trips. Camping is restricted to through-hikers who are hiking for two or more consecutive days. Camping is limited to one night and ten persons per campsite. Self-contained stoves are permitted; ground fires, charcoal stoves and grills are prohibited.

I thought that the two areas overlapped, but it looks like I'm wrong. The state site doesn't have any length restriction for the campsite, so it looks like I'll be fine.

Has anyone used this campsite? I'm trying to figure out the best time to go. While school's in, weekends only, but come the end of June, I can easily take a few days off to go.

Also, this post is about 5 years old, but it sounds like they have a bear box at the site. Hopefully someone can confirm it's still there.

http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2011/06...-trail-nj.html

I have used this site about a dozen times, there is composting privies, and bear boxes as well as places to hang your pack, food, whatever. There is a nice mountain stream as well for water. No fires permitted ever and it is enforced. You can only stay one night and this is enforced as well. You must be traveling more then a days distance as well. It is usually a bit breezy if not dam winder up there. Very few calm days. Nice views on clear days.

If you terminate your hike at Mohican outdoor center you can make a very easy 2 day trip out of it.

417.JPG424.JPG426.JPG

433.JPG432.JPGIt really is a nice place up there!

I recall seeing two bear boxes at the site. No sign of a caretaker and there was at least one fire going so rules are neither observed nor enforced there, well at least not consistently. Maybe it was the caretaker's day off.. Anyways the place was a bit of a zoo when I walked through there in early July, appears to be a very popular spot for youth groups and summer camps in that season. I'm guessing at least 30 people among two or three groups plus a couple thru hikers. That being said it is a big meadow so there was plenty of room for that many people to spread out, and fortunately they all stopped screaming at a reasonable hour when I was there... A lot like the Dalghren campground in MD except farther walk and no flush toilets. Definitely a nice spot for a weekender off peak season.

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    I have used this site about a dozen times, there is composting privies, and bear boxes as well as places to hang your pack, food, whatever. There is a nice mountain stream as well for water. No fires permitted ever and it is enforced. You can only stay one night and this is enforced as well. You must be traveling more then a days distance as well. It is usually a bit breezy if not dam winder up there. Very few calm days. Nice views on clear days.

If you terminate your hike at Mohican outdoor center you can make a very easy 2 day trip out of it.
    Thanks for the info. I will be hiking with my 7 year old son and with the itinerary posted above, it would be about 5.5 to 6 miles each way. Am I going to be turned away because of the relatively short distance we'll be hiking?

you will be fine he takes small steps!

RUNT ''13''

Thanks so much for the help. Any idea when to expect it to start getting busy?

Busy area of the AT year around.

RUNT ''13''

The other white meat

Busy area of the AT year around.

RUNT ''13''
    x2 on that comment. It occasionally gets a lot of litter too.
    I know this are was once patrolled, but can't verify if that's still the case.

Wow…depending on who you talk to. I've heard thru hikers say that the Sunfish Pond area is packed with weekenders just camping. My girlfriend hiked up there to camp and said a RANGER busted their chops about beer and made them pour it out. I do believe there is more than one designated camp area close by. I can't see a state park catering to just long distance hikers. I do understand why the state park would discourage weekend parties in the AT area.

BTW….The ranger hit on my girlfriend big time

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    I've heard thru hikers say that the Sunfish Pond area is packed with weekenders just camping. My girlfriend hiked up there to camp and said a RANGER busted their chops about beer and made them pour it out....
    Camping, fishing and swimming at Sunfish Pond has been illegal for more than 40 years... has that changed recently? When you see the size of the crowds that little gem attracts, its easy to understand why it was illegal.

We went up last week and spent Monday night there. The only thing I didn't find was the mountain stream you noted. We got water from Sunfish Pond.

We definitely plan to go back, so if you could point me in the direction of the stream you mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated.

Somehow managed to not quote your post.

We went up last week and spent Monday night there. The only thing I didn't find was the mountain stream you noted. We got water from Sunfish Pond.

We definitely plan to go back, so if you could point me in the direction of the stream you mentioned, it would be greatly appreciated.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vucatsengr View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will be hiking with my 7 year old son and with the itinerary posted above, it would be about 5.5 to 6 miles each way. Am I going to be turned away because of the relatively short distance we'll be hiking?
    No one will turn you away. If you hiked in from the road and planned to keep hiking the next day, regardless of your distance, you'd still be entitled to use the site. You're using it for it's intended purpose an no one will question (nor should they). We plan to make this trip exactly as you've outlined, and I don't anticipate an "eligibility" problem at all.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    No one will turn you away. If you hiked in from the road and planned to keep hiking the next day, regardless of your distance, you'd still be entitled to use the site. You're using it for it's intended purpose an no one will question (nor should they). We plan to make this trip exactly as you've outlined, and I don't anticipate an "eligibility" problem at all.
    Indeed. We spent the night up there last week and had a great time.

The stream runs along the AT @ the campsite with the privy's and bear boxes its south of sunfish pond.

RUNT ''13''

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++