WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayl Purifying Bottle

http://www.thegrayl.com/

i found their kickstarter video on Youtube as part of a collection of new camping gear. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this. According to the video, this thing weighs 10.9 oz and claims to filter 16 oz of water in 15 seconds with their filter plunger. It does look kind of large and bulky, but would something like this be a feasible to take on the trail?

Have to replace the filter cartridge every month or so. It would be feasible, I suppose, but if you are trying to reduce weight, why not use a lighter-weight filter?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Have to replace the filter cartridge every month or so. It would be feasible, I suppose, but if you are trying to reduce weight, why not use a lighter-weight filter?
    That was my thought exactly. I mean it doesn't filter much water at a time, and I could just turn a Mini or a Squeeze into a gravity filter system that will feed into my bladder.

I ordered one to try it out. I mostly liked the speed of the filtering. I'll update on it when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptnsplash View Post
    I ordered one to try it out. I mostly liked the speed of the filtering. I'll update on it when it arrives.
    I'm interested to hear your report. I'm putting together gear for either a flip flop or several sections. I see so many people with multiple bottles and pouches for dirty water and clean water and back flushing. That weight has to add up and if this eliminates some of those pieces, I'm in. I also have a Steripen and the mouth of this bottle would make it easier to use. Yeah, I'm a bit of a delicate germ-a-phobe.

I bought one and have been testing it before my section hike in June. It is fast and easy to use, and it doubles as another container for water. So far, i like it. I don't like using a bladder, so it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    I bought one and have been testing it before my section hike in June. It is fast and easy to use, and it doubles as another container for water. So far, i like it. I don't like using a bladder, so it works well for me.
    Does it get rid of viruses and bacteria? I think my sawyer doesn't do viruses.

Finally got my ultralight Grayl a few days ago. With my work schedule I have yet to be able to take it out on the trail, but we recently had well problems so we have had a week or two of gross brown water. It cleared the water nicely and really does only take about 15 seconds. The packaging says the filter will last through three uses per day for three months, or equivalent. The weight on my scale actually came to 11.1oz instead of the 10.9 advertised. Height and width of the bottle is nearly the same as a 23.7oz smart water bottle, just a bit wider.
    And yes, it does bacteria, viruses, sediment, chemicals and helps with color and taste of the water. (All according to the packaging. If I can't get time from work to go out and try it I may just test it from the pond behind my house.)

16 oz? Three uses per day? I drink more than that when I'm not hiking.

Well, that's to make it last three months, but I agree.
    Nine times a day should last a month, if I've done the math right that gives you 144oz or about 4.25 liters in a day. And depending on the weather that's still really not much water at all.
    I would guess it probably works beyond those limits, but that's the amount of use they recommend per filter. Another part of the packaging says 300 uses. Same thing really.

Journal Entries

This looks almost as easy as the Lifestraw bottle I used on the PMT a while back. The filter is also in the bottle/cap, so just fill and drink through the straw. No work whatsoever and fast. Only drawback to the Lifestraw bottle is that the water at the bottom was wasted because the straw doesn't reach to the bottom of the bottle. Looks like this Grayl thing might fix that.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

++ New Posts ++