WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Permethrin in Canada

Finally!
    I don't have a pesticide license valid for Ontario, so I can't buy Permethrin as used in many agricultural contexts, including on horses and other livestock.
    However …
    I had some Sawyer Permethrin clothing spray from REI brought into the country by a friend.
    Also, I've found that I can import Permethrin (Ultrathon permethrin spray, 3M) via Amazon — and it made it through Customs no problem! The same price US$ as the REI stuff, though half the volume for the same .5% concentration, plus I got seriously dinged by import taxes.
    Then, today, in downtown Toronto, opposite the well-known outdoor equipment coop, at the other place (that doesn't really seem to know their stuff but carries a different and equally good selection of brand-name stuff), I found the same Ultrathon as I paid through the nose for from Amazon. It was an acceptable price … steep, but worthwhile.
    So now I have enough permethrin to treat my clothes and gear! Yippee!

Bruce Traillium

Isn't the permethrin a concentrate sold at Feed stores which may be why a license is required?

I just had the sawyer 24 oz shipped from REI to ontario. No issue/fees, but about $15 to ship

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Isn't the permethrin a concentrate sold at Feed stores which may be why a license is required?
    Even .5% permethrin requires a license at my local agricultural store …

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I just had the sawyer 24 oz shipped from REI to ontario. No issue/fees, but about $15 to ship
    Wish I'd actually tried that rather than presuming it wouldn't make it through Customs … Good for you!

Interesting. So you got a Sawyer 24 Oz .5% Permethrin spray bottle shipped from the U.S. no problem(without a license) other than cost yet you can't get the same product in the same 24 oz amount in the same concentration at a feed store without a license? Hmmm?

MEC offers no Sawyer products either? What's that about?

it's not legal to sell it in canada (dumb) but you can use it if you get it elsewhere or bring it back over the border. it's recommended on several cdn government websites...
    eg: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/healt...ty/insect-bite

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    it's not legal to sell it in canada (dumb) but you can use it if you get it elsewhere or bring it back over the border. it's recommended on several cdn government websites...
    eg: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/healt...ty/insect-bite
    Slight clarification: a pesticide license is required to BUY Permethrin in Ontario. My local AG supply store has perhaps half a dozen formulations all locked in a cabinet.

++ New Posts ++