WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Ramen Noodles Backpacking Recipes

I would like to get some different Ramen Noodles Backpacking Recipes.

The beauty of ramen is that you can throw just about anything you like into them. I like to add dehydrated or fresh veggies and some meat... Maybe spam, tuna or chicken packs, fresh caught trout, jerky, or whatever's handy. If you're just coming from a resupply, throwing some egg in its also great. If you enjoy eating items A, B, and C, they're probably pretty good in ramen too.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Bits of pepperjack cheese. An addition to the aforementioned.

Stir in some PB and hot peppers to make fake Pad Thai.

Is the MSG in the noodles? Or in the spice packet?
    (I typically do not use the spice packet.)

Bruce Traillium

MSG is in the packet. Don't see the point in buying a product of which a good portion of the meal and taste is thrown out, i.e. the flavor packet.

Chicken Ramen in Loaded baked potato, all wrapped in a tortilla with the inside covered with peanut butter and cheese whiz. We called it the Ramen Bomb, but man was it delicious out there on the trail at the time. Tried it at home, didn't have the same effect though. Was pretty gross now that I think about it. Yea...
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    MSG is in the packet. Don't see the point in buying a product of which a good portion of the meal and taste is thrown out, i.e. the flavor packet.
    Cheap easily-rehydratable somewhat fat-rich carbs?

peanut butter, peanuts, sprinkle of sesame seeds, red pepper flakes or a tiny bit of Thai chili, packet soy sauce(No MSG), fresh green onion, ginger(easy to get fresh), bit of fresh garlic, sesame oil or a good chili oil, sprinkle of seaweed(might try Hijiki, salty Dulse, or wakame, Nori strips work too and are wisely available) - cold or hot, can be made with SOBA brand buckwheat noodles too, like chicken, jerky, shrimp(some Hispanic stores sell dried shrimp), or tofu add that

I agree with Tipi on the MSG. Leave it out. It's in the "flavor" packet of cheap cheap cheaply(less than 12 cts per package) made Ramen like Maruchuan and Nissin Top Ramen brands. Noodles aren't all that healthy either. What does one think they are putting into their minds and bodies with a package of "food" that cost less than 3 cts to manufacture?

However, for the umpteenth time PLEASE widen the perspective on what one considers Ramen. Ramen is available well beyond those two narrow options. And their flavor packets don't contain MSG. Might consider taste Of Thai Rice Noodle packages as an alternative. Prepackaged noodle bowls meant for heating in a microwave is an option too. Remove from packaging, break up a bit, and repackage into a Ziploc saving bulk and packaging wt. Drop in hot water . Ouila. No microwave needed.

Personally I avoid the Maruchuan and Nissin whenever possible and make my own tweaking as desired so that I get a better understanding of what I'm consuming.

Proof is in the picture and if you are familiar with Tipi's adventures and work. Look at Tipi. Consider what he does, the trail work he's involved, the wt he carries, the time of yr he's always out, the energy he has, his active lifestyle, his lack of complaining about physical issues due to his active lifestyle, …….etc. He's no couch potato! Looks like a fit bearded warrior Knight of the Round table to me. He's doing something right. PERHAPS, it has to do with his lifestyle including his attention to what he consumes? ???? Perhaps, his high activity level and lack of health issues is the result, at least in part, to attention of his diet? ????

What does Tipi eat, besides watermelon? Sounds like a thread topic.

Nongshim brand "Shin Ramyun" is the super spicy variety with no added msg. Net weight (dry) 4 oz. vs. 3 oz. for the cheap stuff. But a lot more expensive, a buck a pack. (Regular stuff is $.20 per pack.)

Hey it's not al that good for you but it hits the spot after a long day of hiking. Mix whatever you want into it to give it substance and real nutrition. "Recipe" is too fine a term for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    I would like to get some different Ramen Noodles Backpacking Recipes.
    Ramen Noodles: full of nutritional value, especially when eaten with food!

Tipi has discussed it including the details of what's in his food and how he makes it. I'm jus thrown this out there as info and options. It's obviously needed adding to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Where else can you get a pack of noodles in a single serve package for 10 to 25 cents?

Here's my favorite ramen noodle recipe for backpacking:

--Throw away the spice pack
    --Boil noodles, drain water
    --Cook precooked bacon until crispy enough to crumble into tiny pieces.
    --Crumble bacon over noodles.
    --Sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese (you can save those little packets they give you when you order pizza)
    --Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (same deal, they come with pizza)
    --Garlic or garlic powder
    --Parsley
    --Coat liberally in olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tipi has discussed it including the details of what's in his food and how he makes it. I'm jus thrown this out there as info and options. It's obviously needed adding to the topic.
    Go for it! He — and you as well as others — are gold mines for me!

dehydrated veggies step it up a notch. I like to put spicy Thai tuna in with shrimp flavor.

Folks will drop bookoo bucks on all sorts of expensive gear and accessories or going lighter wt or electronic gizmos and an untold number of other gadgets yet tightwad what goes into their mind and body. If you are what you eat has one iota of truth I don't get the logic. Why not invest in yourself in who you are including what you consume rather than prioritizing what you have? Isn't being healthy being wealthy? Doesn't nutrition influence health?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Look at Tipi. . . . his lack of complaining about physical issues due to his active lifestyle, …….etc
    My body has its own certain set of weaknesses which must be dealt with in varying ways, diet being one helpful factor along with some amount of exercise.

For those who have the time and who hate to exercise, backpacking is the perfect solution. Your shuttle ride drops you off at some trailhead. You have 3 weeks worth of gear and food on your back. You want to hike every day in exploration-mode and then come out alive to eventually meet your evac ride.

In order to do all this you have to walk. The choice then is simple: Either walk with a hefty pack or curl up in a fetal ball and collapse. It's difficult to be a couch potato on a backpacking trip. At home with a TV or computer is a different story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++