WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Best way to Jarrard Gap in GA?

Hi all!

Am planning a couple of day hikes one of which is starting (or ending) at Jarrard Gap. Anyone know which road would be best? I see on the map that one possible way is from Ga 180 on Lake Winfield Scott Rd to Jarrard Gap Rd which I think is FS 378. On some maps it looks like this turns into Dick Creek Rd which goes south.

Also does the forest service road cross the AT or do you have to park and hike a short way?

Any other info on Jarrard Gap is appreciated!

Tripod
    On average, 50% of my photos are better than the other half.

The best way to access Jarrard Gap is by Jarrard Gap Trail from Lake Winfield Scott. That road is only maintained because of private land that is only accessable that way. To my knowledge, it is not accessable at all from Dicks Creek road, except with a long hike on unmaintained trails.

This Map Jarrard Gap is more accurate in that area than most.

You possibly could park on Jarrard Gap road and hike up, but don't block the road. There is not a trailhead there, and where Jarrard Gap trail crosses, there is no sign.

Images

That's a nice map. If it would be better I might use Henry Gap if there is better access.

If worse comes to worse I could probably just do the whole 10.9 from Neel's Gap to Woody but with Blood Mtn in the middle it might make for a little longer day than I would like.

Thanks!

Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    The best way to access Jarrard Gap is by Jarrard Gap Trail from Lake Winfield Scott. That road is only maintained because of private land that is only accessable that way. To my knowledge, it is not accessable at all from Dicks Creek road, except with a long hike on unmaintained trails.

This Map Jarrard Gap is more accurate in that area than most.

You possibly could park on Jarrard Gap road and hike up, but don't block the road. There is not a trailhead there, and where Jarrard Gap trail crosses, there is no sign.
    On average, 50% of my photos are better than the other half.

Journal Entries

It would be easier just to walk the 1O.6 miles. With a daypack should be easy. Most can do more than that in a day with a full pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-16-2016 at 16:16.

As stated above, the best option is to hike the Jarrard Gap Trail from Lake Winfield Scott. There is a gate about a 1/3 mile from the AT on Jarrard Gap Road so that is the closest you can get by road. But there is no place to park so this would only be a good option if someone were to drop you off. There is easy access to the trail at Henry Gap but again, no parking. You could park on the side of SR180 and walk up Happy Hollow Road though. I believe you do have to cross a bit of private property but I have never had any problems in doing so.

If you are looking for an AT day hike in the area I recommend a loop hike from Lake Winfield Scott. Hike up the Slaughter Creek Trail to the AT. Hike North on the AT up and over Blood Mtn to Flatrock Gap. Then take the Freeman Trail back to the AT at Bird Gap. Go South on the AT to Jarrard Gap and then return to Lake Winfield Scott on the Jarrard Gap Trail.

I did not see the Freeman Trail on the map that Upstream provided but it runs from Flatrock Gap to Bird Gap. It is the bad weather Blood Mtn bypass trail. I believe it is about an 8 mile loop.

Enjoy your hike!

I've added it, as a line. But, if you turn on the mapbuilder overlay, you can see most of the trails in the area, including the Freeman, in red bold. I don't know where that data comes from, but the AT is more accurate than the Forest Service layer.

From Lake Winfield Scott, you can access both the Slaughter Creek trail and the Jarrard Gap trail. A nice loop is to go up Slaughter Creek to the AT, go SOBO on the AT to Jarrard Gap, and head back down to Lake Winfield Scott.

Easiest way to Lake Winfield Scott for me is from Dahlonega, take Rte 60 to Suches. Turn right on 180--Wolfpen Gap Road. There is a $5 day use fee to park there. You could park on Jarrard Gap Road to avoid the fee, I guess.

Another nice day hike in the area is the Dockery Lake approach trail. Dockery Lake is also off Hwy 60 on the way to Suches. It joins the AT at Miller Gap. Free parking, nice campground and stocked lake. Gravel FS road is pretty rough in some places.

++ New Posts ++