WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Long Term Parking in Yosemite

My husband and I are hiking the JMT in summer 2016 and are wanting to drive ourselves. I know there is long-term parking in Yosemite but can't find much information on it. Has anyone left a car there for 3-4 weeks? Should I be concerned about leaving my car (wildlife, break-ins, etc)? Any help is appreciated!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's the place to start

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/thparking.htm
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

The first URL states, "you can park your car for the duration of your hike."
    The second states,
    The John Muir Trail can only be directly accessed via these trailheads:
    From Yosemite Valley: Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced Lake (pass through) and Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
    That URL also notes that a total of 24 PEOPLE (not cars) can make reservations to have their vehicles parked at Happy Isles, headed on the John Muir Trail, at any one time; and that another 16 people can have their vehicles parked there on a "first come first served" basis.

I strongly suggest making reservations for wilderness travel and parking before anything else, including your transportation to California.

Images

Thanks for the reply, GoldenBear. Since some of the nps.gov info is outdated, we called the park and they assured us that if we have a permit, we will have a place to leave our car...and that we can park at the permit station while we wait for our permit

++ New Posts ++