WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Questions about the IAT Canadian border crossing

Hey guys! i'm planning on starting my SOBO thru on june 2nd. id like to hike into BSP on the IAT in from New Brunswick. does anyone have any experience, or advice, about crossing the border with only my thru-hike pack? I cant seem to find much information on it, which tells me its probably more hassle than its worth haha, I might just save myself the trouble and catch the train into Bangor. any help is muchly appreciated. Thanks guys!

"there are strange things done,
    in the midnight sun.
    by the men who moil for gold.
    the arctic trails have their secret tales,
    that'll make your blood run cold."

I don't know why crossing the border on a trail would require anything more than crossing the border in a car. You may well be required to have your passport with you and maybe a proof of residence (like your driver's licence). But, that is probably all. Heck, I've never tried crossing the US/Canadian border on a trail, but you may be able to hike across and never run into anyone that even bothers to check your papers.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    . . . you may be able to hike across and never run into anyone that even bothers to check your papers.
    Wow. Thanks BigCranky. Good links. I knew there was a reason I wasn't a bureaucrat! Never trust my advice when it comes to anticipating rules. I don't seem to work very well in that space.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

It could get ugly in either direction. Check with US Customs.

Images

They've cracked down a lot since 9/11.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Where does the trail cross the border? There has to be a port of entry. There is no just walking across in the wilderness.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Where does the trail cross the border? There has to be a port of entry. There is no just walking across in the wilderness.
    There is just walking across in the wilderness from US into Canada, just check in when you can with Canada, going the other way into the US, my understanding is it is forboden. One exception may be a particular Native American reservation that spans the US/CN border which produces some interesting legal issues.

Images

Starchild is correct. You may be able to get a permit to walk from the USA into Canada on the trail, but all entry into the USA can only occur at an official border crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post

Well yes, there is. Back during Vietnam, my father did this a few times, trying to find a way to sneak my brother into Canada. (But not via a trail; through the woods.)
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Better there than elsewhere. Look at those poor hikers who inadvertently found themselves in Iran and in trouble.

In 2007 I was about to cross into Canada with just my d/l, as this is the way I did it years earlier. I was told to go home and retrieve my passport. (Which I did.)
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Thanks for all the help guys! I found a list of all the border crossing between QC/ME/NB here, not much info about hiking across though.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list.../#.VwsSDfkrLIU

I was just hoping someone could tell me if one was more so receptive to hikers or not, but apparently a hiker is not a very welcomed sight to border agents.
    There are strange things done in the midnight sun
    By the men who moil for gold;
    The Arctic trails have their secret tales
    That would make your blood run cold.

++ New Posts ++