WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sorry to learn that.

There used to be one that asked for donations only, but I guess times change.
    which one?

Journal Entries
    Images

Called "The Place".

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Suggestions:

1) Carry a 4oz bike chain with a combo lock for use at say Waysides in Shenandoah where backpacks can't be taken inside. Wrap the bike chain around several loops in your backpack and position it where you can sit at a window and keep an eye on it. This won't stop determined thieves but may convince them something easier is available. The AT is a microcosm of Society so thievery happens just like it happens back in Society.

2) Don't put valuables inside your tent at Trail Days in Damascus, VA and think their safe.

3) Don't put your backpack unattended outside stores along the AT -- someone in a pickup truck might swoop in, throw your backpack and others into the pickup bed and be off before you can say "hiker feed".

4) If for some reason you have to leave your backpack in the woods near a road crossing (don't do this), stay back at least a half-mile from the road (not at the actual road crossing). Believe it or not, there are people who watch for you to do that and after you leave, they just walk over and pick up your backpack where you hid it and are off to sort through your valuables. It's a clever way for a thief to have an easy time.

5) Sleep with your hiking poles next to you when sleeping in a shelter -- don't just lean them up against the shelter wall and think they're going to be there in the morning while to are in la-la land overnight.

Datto
    Huh? too easily picked....Even the best are simply peace of mind....

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Called "The Place".
    it's always been a minimum donation facility, clearly posted amount. if you don't put 7 bucks in the box you're a friggin' loser

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's always been a minimum donation facility, clearly posted amount.
    You sure about that?

very sure....

Journal Entries
    Images

After 33 years my testimony would't hold up in court, so I will defer to your expertise.

Journal Entries

LolTrails no different from anywheres else
    Most people are good. Theres a few bad ones.
    I think theres probably more bad ones today as the type of person that hikes, and why, is changing

You will probably be OK 99+% of the time with lax attitude, but it only takes one bad experience to ruin your hike......and a years planning ,saving, and preparation. Being diligent should be a no brainer.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-09-2016 at 01:26.

Most thieves are opportunistic...don't give them the opportunity. When there is a donation box and nobody is watching to see who donates and who does not, how many do you think will put something in the box? What do you think those same people would do if you left your wallet sitting on the table and left the room? What would they do if you left your pack to go to the grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Most thieves are opportunistic...don't give them the opportunity. When there is a donation box and nobody is watching to see who donates and who does not, how many do you think will put something in the box? What do you think those same people would do if you left your wallet sitting on the table and left the room? What would they do if you left your pack to go to the grocery store?

I would agree that most thieves are opportunistic...they are not staking out a particular place and awaiting a victim. But I would also observe that mostly they don't want our stuff, but rather want cash. The only reason why they steal our stuff is to convert it to cash by selling it. That's where there's a low incentive to steal items that are not individually valuable and that have no effective secondary market (this is why you can safely hang your wash on the line unsupervised for days at a time...no thief actually wants your clothes and second hand markets only offer a pittance for used clothing). Cash and payment cards particularly require supervision because they are light and attractive.

In town, there's definitely a risk that some clown could steal your pack in the hope that there might be something inside which can be readily converted to cash, so you don't want to leave your entire pack unsupervised in a public place. But I wouldn't hesitate to hang my sleeping bag on a line unsupervised because it's a lot of effort to steal a bag and convert it to cash.

I find the story of somebody's laundry getting stolen from the laundromat a little bizarre. Who wants somebody else's clothing? It probably won't fit, it's probably not your style, and you only get pennies on the dollar at a second-hand shop. I am prepared to believe that somebody could mistakenly empty out the wrong dryer and take someone else's clothes, but it strikes me as a little weird that anyone would actually make and effort to steal them....

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Who wants somebody else's clothing? It probably won't fit, it's probably not your style, and you only get pennies on the dollar at a second-hand shop. I am prepared to believe that somebody could mistakenly empty out the wrong dryer and take someone else's clothes, but it strikes me as a little weird that anyone would actually make and effort to steal them....
    Heh, reminds me of Marla from Fight Club. Maybe there's a secondary market for those $200 jeans.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I did have my rain jacket stolen from my pack in 2010 while I was busy at a privy. Not very smart on my part, but because of having conversed with the perpetrators, I had let down my guard. I wouldn't leave anybody with my backpack while I used the can at a Starbucks, so I won't do it (anymore!) at a shelter, hostel, or restaurant.

From what I've seen, people won't steal dirty clothes, so I don't worry so much when they are in the washer. But once I put them in the dryer I'm sitting there until they are done. Depending upon what kind of clothing you have it could be very desirable to a thief. Many hikers have over $1000 wrapped up in their pack...somebody who is wanting a new tent or sleeping bag could be very tempted. People don't often think about it, but clothing is the same way...how much money do you have wrapped up in one load of laundry...could easily be $1000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++