Default Which camera to take

I'm heading out on a thru-hike on 4/27, and my old camera crapped out on me, so I need to get a new one.

I don't think I want to use my iPhone because of (1) battery life and (2) I just don't want to have my phone out all the time. Unfortunately it seems like the only cameras now that have view finders, which allow you to turn off the battery draining LED displays are around 1 lb at minimum. Any suggestions? I am traveling fairly light (base weight ~12 lbs) and I am pretty comfortable with manual camera settings, and actually prefer to do that over automatic.

Agree that an optical viewfinder is a big plus. I miss that on my hiking camera.

Look for an older used model that has a optical viewfinder and uses AA batteries. Cheap, top.
    Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerS...gAAOSwoudW8EjH
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 04-06-2016 at 00:55.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I bought a Ricoh GR a couple of years ago for my JMT hike. It's a small, 7 or 8 oz camera with full manual controls, shoots RAW, APS-C sensor (same size as many main stream DSLRs), and has a very user friendly user interface. It is limited to a relatively wide angle lens (28 mm equivalent, F 2.8), but has two crop modes that are the equivalent of 35mm and 45mm, with little degradation of photo quality for most purposes. They also make a 21mm equivalent focal length add-on lens, but it's expensive, and I never missed not having it.

This camera does not have an optical viewfinder, but I picked up a Sigma VF-11 external viewfinder on Ebay for about $40 and it works GREAT for framing when shooting 28mm. The field of view matches the lens quite well. It makes it much easier to frame your shot than trying to see a screen on the camera in the ultra bright light out west (plus saves the battery with the screen off). The viewfinder just slides into the hot shoe on the top of the camera and is remarkably small and light.

This isn't a cheap camera, $670 currently on Amazon, but you may be able to pick one up used off Ebay. I find it is WELL worth the price for the photos which are virtually indistinguishable from my DSLRs with the same size sensor. And these photos can be enlarged to 13 X 19 with EXCELLENT results.

Battery life is fair, and you can pick up extra batteries off Amazon quite reasonably. Extra batteries are small and light, under two ounces each. Three batteries were more than enough for me, recharging every 5 or 6 days.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-06-2016 at 00:41.

I am very happy with the results from my GoPro. With enough batteries for four to five days of active filming, you are looking at 6 ounces.

"Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

++ New Posts ++