WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White gas

Journal Entries
    Images

Default White gas

I have a msr wisperlite and burn white gas. But only have a 11 oz bottle to fill and a gallon would be a lot do any stores along the trail sell smaller containers of white gas?

Every gas station. "White gas" is simply today's unleaded. The name 'white gas' was from the days when all gas station gas was leaded. You may still be able to buy cans of overpriced labeled white gas, and at best it might be an extra filtered version of regular. Another example still available many places is "Coleman Fuel" gasoline, overpriced!!!!

Finding white gas is becoming more difficult. Not many are still using it, so few places stock it now. Walmart typically has it in quart bottles and would be your most reliable source, assuming you can always get to one when you need to.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    Every gas station. "White gas" is simply today's unleaded. The name 'white gas' was from the days when all gas station gas was leaded. You may still be able to buy cans of overpriced labeled white gas, and at best it might be an extra filtered version of regular. Another example still available many places is "Coleman Fuel" gasoline, overpriced!!!!
    Auto gas has additives which can clog a Whisper lite, even the nolead. White gas is clean, no additives.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Coleman started making quart size bottles some time ago. Try Walmart. I bought mine there

Coleman fuel is not white gas, it is something else, naptha maybe. I've been burning car gas in my Wisperlites for years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Coleman fuel is not white gas, it is something else, naptha maybe. I've been burning car gas in my Wisperlites for years with no problems.
    Coleman fuel has been known as white gas to backpackers for the last 40 years. Has something changed??

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Coleman started making quart size bottles some time ago. Try Walmart. I bought mine there
    This summer the Coleman brand fuel, naphtha (white gas) was replaced with Crown brand in quart and gallon sizes. Next to the Coleman brand French made Canadian imported 220 gram gas canisters.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Interesting. The MSR site itself states both that white has is Naptha and that Coleman fuel is white gas.

Link

Definitely wrong, auto fuel is now where near close to Coleman fuel. Sure it may work in a stove designed for it but inevitable its going burn dirty and leave deposits in the stove internals.

Have you tried it. I've been doin' it for 20 years, no problems, yet.

Coleman fuel will cost you about 50 cents to one dollar a day if you do real cooking. Hardly outrageous, especially compared to canisters. I've used it for decades in my Svea. The premium stuff from MSR doesn't look any better to me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I haven't tried it but have repaired a few whisperlights over the years with clogged generators due to auto fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    Interesting. The MSR site itself states both that white has is Naptha and that Coleman fuel is white gas.

Link
    Correct. Been that way since forever. Before MSR came along even.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Whatever the other pros and cons, one good thing about Naphtha (white gas) is that it doesn't leave that distinct gasoline smell when spilled.

In stoves such as the XGK, MSR supplies different fuel jets with different orifices for for Naptha (X), Gasoline (G) and Kerosene (K), so while they might burn with other fuels they're optimized for the jet in use. I've used an XGK with kerosene and I think that was the hottest-burning, noisiest stove in the known Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Correct. Been that way since forever. Before MSR came along even.
    Wayne
    Yeah, I knew that - I was just responding to a comment that it wasn't.

No worries.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Journal Entries
    Images

They used to make a different head for when using gasoline. Gets dirty. Just needs cleaning every few days Hoppe's #9 works great.

Unleaded auto gasoline has various addatives designed to help with valve lubrication, the catalytic converter, etc.

Irregardless of what it does to the stove jets or not - I wouldn't want to be breathing the burning "addatives"...

The additives in car gas will make you sterile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++