WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Camping Between VA 603/Fox Creek and VA 683/US 11/Atkins

I hiked this stretch this weekend and wanted to pass along a few observations that may assist others that pass through this area.
    - I left my car at the VA 603/Fox Creek parking area for two nights with no problems.
    - There is an area just behind the VA 603/Fox Creek parking area that could hold at least eight tents.
    - Hurricane Mountain Shelter: The shelter has a very nice roof that covers the picnic table area. The shelter is 1/10th mile up the hill and is not flat enough to support tenting. Both the tenting and water is down the hill by the trail along the stream.
    - Trimpi Shelter: Plenty of room to tent. I was surprised at how little flow there was from the spring at this time of year, especially compared to the other water sources we encountered. If I were coming through here in the summer or early fall I would ask on the trail about the flow at this shelter before counting on the water.
    - Crossing at VA 670 at the South Holston River: There is room to park three cars at this location and no more.
    - Partnership Shelter: This shelter is pretty well documented. There is no camping allowed ¼ mile each side of the shelter, even though there appears to be many established campsites. Going northbound there is a spot for a few tents on the ridge just after the no camping sign. There are larger established campsites on the east side of the trail about 1 ½ and 2 miles north of the shelter.
    - Chatfield Shelter: I thought this shelter had a picturesque setting down by the stream that was flowing very well. The trail just south of the shelter is pretty rocky. There is no flat area to camp by the shelter, but there are a few spots ¼ mile north of the shelter where the trail crosses a fire road.

Images

As I recall, there is also good tent camping (where my family camped) just in the woods across VA 603 from the parking area, on the south side, in other words. That was a few years back, though.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

If I remember correctly, there was good creekside campsite a mile or two north of the South Holston River bridge. The campsite was on the left side of the trail going NOBO.

I agree the first mile south of Chatfield was the worst part of that section (overall, that section was pretty easy). Very steep and rocky. I also remember there being about a dozen creek crossings in the first mile north of Chatfield.

Just curious (since I will be starting north from Pearisburg next weekend), how crowded was it out there?
    It's all good in the woods.

"Partnership Shelter: This shelter is pretty well documented. There is no camping allowed ¼ mile each side of the shelter, even though there appears to be many established campsites."

Question: is it posted no camping 1/4 mile each side of the shelter? For bear activity?

Images

I assume that the camping restrictions is to limit the human wildlife.

There are dozens of potential tent sites between VA 603 and Highway 16/NRA Center.

TRI 132 014-L.jpg
    One of my faves is about 7 miles south of Partnership Shelter at this little ridge finger. (It's north of South Holston footbridge).

TRI 132 016-L.jpg
    What makes it nice is it has this little creek for water.

TRI 132 230-L.jpg
    Btw, just north of "7 Mile Camp" is this CS which is by a creek.

TRIP 123 034-L.jpg
    Somewhere close to Trimpi shelter there's this trailsign on the AT and if you go left down the hill you reach a CS as below.

TRIP 123 036-L.jpg
    Here's the "Raccoon" CS next to a pig seep water source.

TRIP 123 037-L.jpg
    If you blue blaze an old trail away from the CS you reach where Raccoon Shelter used to be but now removed. This has a water source too if you want to camp in "Raccoon Camp" and don't want to get water from the mud seep.

TRI 132 042-L.jpg
    There's also this great CS about a half mile above Hurricane shelter (south) and so I always get water at Hurricane and hike to this spot for the night thereby avoiding the crowds.

++ New Posts ++