WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Over-Ear headphones

I am looking for a pair of Bluetooth, Over-the-Ear headphones (Not earbuds...they hurt my ears) that are water proof/resistant that will withstand the punishment of an Appalachian Trail Thru Hike. Does such a thing exists? Any suggestions that do not include using earbuds are welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Hi,

I know what you mean about earbuds. They drive me crazy too. I don't use bluetooth while I hike 'cause it drains the battery too quickly. I've been using these constantly for about 4 years now and have been very happy with them in all kinds of weather. The jack is surprisingly tough.

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/he...ones/mdr-g45lp

poopsy

I think anyone wearing earphones on the Appalachian Trail should be rubbed down with bacon grease and chained to a tree for ... say ... three days. That is just so absurdly wrong. In the privacy of your tent? ... okay, I can stomach that, but to see people hiking the trail while wearing a set of Dr. Dre's is contrary to all things sacred about being on the trail. Plus, in my opinion, it's totally unsafe. If you want to listen to mindless music, stay home, lock yourself in your room, and have at it.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    I think anyone wearing earphones on the Appalachian Trail should be rubbed down with bacon grease and chained to a tree for ... say ... three days. That is just so absurdly wrong. In the privacy of your tent? ... okay, I can stomach that, but to see people hiking the trail while wearing a set of Dr. Dre's is contrary to all things sacred about being on the trail. Plus, in my opinion, it's totally unsafe. If you want to listen to mindless music, stay home, lock yourself in your room, and have at it.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Ok...You are making some assumptions! As I never gave reasons why I have a need for them, but I guess you are entitle to your opinions and ass-umptions!

Not that I need to explain to anyone why I have a need for headphones while I hike my own hike with respect to the trail and all who use it. But, I do not hike and listen to music. It's not my style as I like to listen to my surroundings and I too believe it is dangerous. (Key being My belief) I do however plan to use them for safety to listen to weather reports and yes, maybe some music or ebooks at night in the privacy of my hammock/shelter, in my own space.

So, rest assured, I will not be one you wanna rub down with bacon grease and chain to a tree!

OkeefenokeeJoe
    I like having a sound track to my hiking. Next to zip lock bags, MP3 players are one of the best things to happen to thru hiking.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jimyjam View Post
    But, I do not hike and listen to music.
    In that case, having waterproof or resistant headphones isn't a prime concern. Just keep them in a water tight bag when your not using them. Weight and size would be the characteristics I'd be looking at. But if you break down and start listening to music while hiking, just don't wear them in the rain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Why don't you just stay home and have a nice "virtual reality" hike if natural sounds and surroundings are not to your liking?

Perhaps we could just give good equipment recommendations and let people HTOH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

OkeefenokeeJoe
    How about you hike your own damn hike and not worry about how someone else hikes and enjoys theirs.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

WOW some brutal remarks in this post,
    I myself where headphones hiking from time to time,music books podcasts etc...
    Helps the miles go by after a long day.
    And as quoted by my friend seven that you want to listen to nature fine,tell me that after two months .
    I am sorry I cant recommend any over the ear headphones as I use earbuds when I hike,

Are headphones hiking equipment

Images

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Talk about kicking a hornets nest, I love music and enjoy some smooth jazz with my lunch while looking out over a vista so bugger off with your chains and bacon grease. And if you have such a weak stomach maybe you are the one that should stay home and hide in your room because the trail tends to messy and smelly sometimes. As for "scared about the trail" I don't go to your church and remember what they say about opinions, what they are like, everyone has one and they tend to stink.

Journal Entries
    Images

Are headphones hiking equipment
    I would be willing to bet of this question was poled that 80 percent would defiantly say that they carry headphones with them on a hike of any length ...
    Headphones are not at all an uncommon thing,
    WOW this thread is all I can say is WOW !!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Bluet...ear+headphones

Here was just a quick search I did on amazon.
    Im sure you can find better ones but that was just a quick search.

Hike your own hike is a wonderful thing. Reason I don't listen while I hike is twice rattlesnakes warned my by hissing and rattling. Not sure I wouldn't have stepped on them had I not heard them.

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    I would be willing to bet of this question was poled that 80 percent would defiantly say that they carry headphones with them on a hike of any length ...
    Headphones are not at all an uncommon thing,
    WOW this thread is all I can say is WOW !!!!!!
    take a deep breath and relax . I would ask that question on an audio forum. He or she may get better advice .

Journal Entries
    Images

take a deep breath and relax . I would ask that question on an audio forum. He or she may get better advice .
    LMAO some folks are just so darned funny round here

Journal Entries
    Images

The headphone crowd hangs here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newposts
    LMAO some folks are just so darned funny round here
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Bluet...ear+headphones

Here was just a quick search I did on amazon.
    Im sure you can find better ones but that was just a quick search.
    Actually, I found this post to be really helpful. In a different color, something like this would be useful to me when mowing my lawn. I had thought about it toward the end of last fall, but had forgotten to look for some headphones over the winter. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

[QUOTE=jimyjam;2056513]Any suggestions that do not include using earbuds are welcome and appreciated.

I know you said do not suggest earbuds but I just had to mention this story.

A couple of years ago at Christmastime, my mother-in-law asked me what I'd like for a christmas present and I said a pair of earbuds. That same week, I was in Staples and they had a pair of Skull Candy earbuds on sale for $12 or $15 (can't remember which), so I bought them. They sounded good and were pretty comfortable when I used them at night in bed using my iPad. (Much more comfortable, in fact, than the ones that came with the iPad.)
    Well, you guessed it. My mother-in-law gave me a pair of much fancier, much more expensive ones that had multiple sized foam or rubber inserts presumably for different sized ear canals.
    i wanted to like the ones she gave me but most of the choices for the rubber inserts were just not comfortable for me. I finally found one of the sizes that were ok but I still like the Skull Candy ones better. I can wear those for hours at a time comfortably.
    My point is that all earbuds' comfort level is not the same. If I hadn't bought the cheap ones I probably would have never been really comfortable wearing them for extended periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++