WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deoderant?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Many years ago,a member here at WB,Cosmic Zian,swore by a product called Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal.Read the reviews.It stops bacterial growth and can be used on other "parts" like feet to help keep them dry.
    You can break it in pieces if the 3 oz. is too much for you.A little goes a long way.You do use it wet to apply.http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Fres...3_a_it&sr=8-13

I actually stopped using all deodorant/antiperspirant a few years ago at all times. I use a crystal similar to the one above but it comes in a "holder" every day. My pits don't stink. Seriously. The crystal really works. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and traditional products set my sense of smell off. I usually avoid the soap aisles at the stores as its very strong. When I have to go down the aisles I figure out where my products are and beeline it through the aisle.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Deoderant? Out on the trail, we call it bear bait.
    It's all good in the woods.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Whatever you do, please please don't try to cover up your hiker stench with Axe body spray or the like. The Axe won't get rid of the body odor and for some reason the two smells instead combine into something that is far worse than either smell is on their own.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Whatever you do, please please don't try to cover up your hiker stench with Axe body spray or the like. The Axe won't get rid of the body odor and for some reason the two smells instead combine into something that is far worse than either smell is on their own.
    A rare time we are in agreement. Axe has got to be the worst (and most popular) cover up ever to be marketed.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

My wife carries a bug repellant that has Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus in it.
    It does a pretty good job of covering up hiker funk and doesn't smell too bad.
    So if we need to go into town, or other places, we just apply it as needed.

I use rubbing alcohol and neosporin. The rubbing alcohol has many uses like disinfecting cuts, mouth piece, hands, fire starter etc. I put a little on my pits after I wash wipe them at night. It takes a long time for the stink to build up again. I also rub down my feet with it too. I also sometime apply neosporin to my croutch area after a wash/wipe. Essentially the antibacterial properties kill the stink and the petroleum jelly part of it prevents chaffing. U can also use the neosporin on cuts too. Several uses.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

As a section hiker, I bring a small (travel) size deodorant. Also have "wet ones" which say they kill 99.99% of bacteria. Body wipe downs every couple days, apply the deodorant every couple days, change clothes half way through week... keeps me from stinkin' too much.

Last hike, after applying the deodorant, one the through hikers smelled it and said: Who smells like soap? Haha, I held up my little travel size deodorant/ anti-perspirant and smiled and said "section hiker luxury".

Most of the thru hikers I've encountered didn't really stink. One of them, however, really smelled like an onion factory. whew.

Images

Haven't read the entire thread. Deodorant not necessary on the trail.

Some folks do carry antiperspirant, but not for their underarms. It works for some people who have extra sweaty feet in avoiding, or minimizing blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by TKE402 View Post
    I use rubbing alcohol and neosporin. The rubbing alcohol has many uses like disinfecting cuts, mouth piece, hands, fire starter etc. I put a little on my pits after I wash wipe them at night. It takes a long time for the stink to build up again. I also rub down my feet with it too. I also sometime apply neosporin to my croutch area after a wash/wipe. Essentially the antibacterial properties kill the stink and the petroleum jelly part of it prevents chaffing. U can also use the neosporin on cuts too. Several uses.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    The alcohol is a really good idea. Homeless people without everyday access to showers use this to minimize BO. Works on clothing, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++