WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default BV500 --> KM - VVR without resupply

Good morning

How did you guys manage to hike from Kennedy Meadwos to Vermilion Valley Resort without resupplying?
    As we must store all food in a bear can, I wonder how it's possible to put food for 11days into a BV500...

Thanks for your help
    Fuf

I'd post this on PCT forum.. I did JMT last sept..I think most pct hikers got resupplied at independence. I had no problem getting from mtr to Whitney in a much smaller Bearikade weekender. I can't remember how many days it was but thinking it was5-6...amazing place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic
    Images

Here's one way:
    CIMG2130.jpg
    Then carry the first day in a plastic bag, and make that a very big day.

Carry calorie-dense foods, lots of fats. Leave the Ramen behind.

A faster pace is your friend. You don't have to walk faster, but you can walk longer. You have 15+ hours of daylight--make use of them and hike 25 mile days. If you can do that hike in say nine days, it starts becoming manageable.

Accept the fact that you probably won't have enough food with you, and you'll be hungry for a couple of days. You'll learn that a lean food bag is not a death sentence.

If (when) you show up at VVR hungry, be ready for a steep bill.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thank you. Done

I re-supplied via Kearsarg pass. Hitched from trailhead to Independence then bus to Bishop.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Who said you couldnt resupply?

If its early season and snow slows you down, it probably not possible.

For a light thruhiker with 700 miles behind them, they can do the 175 miles on 9 days food, 8 in the can.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fuf View Post
    Good morning

How did you guys manage to hike from Kennedy Meadwos to Vermilion Valley Resort without resupplying?
    As we must store all food in a bear can, I wonder how it's possible to put food for 11days into a BV500...

Thanks for your help
    Fuf
    I hiked KM to VVR in one shot but I didn't carry a canister in that section. In spite of what you may read it is not required. There are bear boxes at various places and canisters are not required everywhere. I am not advocating one way or another but your base assumption is wrong. My plan was to pick up my canister at VVR but the resupply didn't come. IF it did then I would have been 100% legal through the entire Sierra.

One last thing. I would never carry 11 days. It ended up taking me 7 days to do that leg because of the massive snow in 2011. Leaving KM was the only time that my pack weight bothered me for a couple of days. You may be carrying a more beefy pack but I would try out a loaded pack at the target weight before you lock into that resupply plan. Don't forget that you will likely be eating a lot more than you think at that point in the trip. That is when hiker hunger will kick in with a vengeance. Also, you will likely have extra Sierra gear which will increase your weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Here's one way:
    CIMG2130.jpg
    Then carry the first day in a plastic bag, and make that a very big day.

Carry calorie-dense foods, lots of fats. Leave the Ramen behind.

A faster pace is your friend. You don't have to walk faster, but you can walk longer. You have 15+ hours of daylight--make use of them and hike 25 mile days. If you can do that hike in say nine days, it starts becoming manageable.

Accept the fact that you probably won't have enough food with you, and you'll be hungry for a couple of days. You'll learn that a lean food bag is not a death sentence.

If (when) you show up at VVR hungry, be ready for a steep bill.
    I walked into VVR with zero food having rationed the remaining food the previous two days. I also carried out a bag of food since my resupply simply didn't fit into the pack.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

FWIW, I knew several people who did the KM to VVR section unsupported. Several said they regretted it. One person ran out of food and had to mooch/yogi off of other hikers. Bishop is a decent trail town, and the hike over Kearsarge Pass is nice, even by JMT standards. If I did the PCT again, I would go out at Kearsarge again.

I believe the regulations say you have to have a bear canister. A ranger is going to ask to see your permit and ask you if you are using a bear can. If you have extra food in a food bag, I don't think they would know unless you told them. I had to pack 9 days coming out of MTR. That put my can to the limit. If you do have to hang a little food, it would probably only be a couple days until all your items fit in your bear can. If I were to hang a little food, I would try to make sure it is factory sealed packages.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I hiked KM to VVR in one shot but I didn't carry a canister in that section. In spite of what you may read it is not required. There are bear boxes at various places and canisters are not required everywhere. I am not advocating one way or another but your base assumption is wrong. My plan was to pick up my canister at VVR but the resupply didn't come. IF it did then I would have been 100% legal through the entire Sierra.

One last thing. I would never carry 11 days. It ended up taking me 7 days to do that leg because of the massive snow in 2011. Leaving KM was the only time that my pack weight bothered me for a couple of days. You may be carrying a more beefy pack but I would try out a loaded pack at the target weight before you lock into that resupply plan. Don't forget that you will likely be eating a lot more than you think at that point in the trip. That is when hiker hunger will kick in with a vengeance. Also, you will likely have extra Sierra gear which will increase your weight.
    Says the man that hikes 30+ mpd back to back on malto powder alone!

Good morning

Thanks for your help
    Fuf
    You don't have to do 175 mile or so stretch between KM and VVR. Adding to the logistical options already given: http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php

Here's another idea IF you're getting to KM later in June as MTR doesn't open until then. From KM get a b'fast to eat there with an EARLY start. To Muir Trail Ranch it's 150 +- or so miles. At this stage in a PCT thru or long PCT section hike most hikers can avg 20+ MPD. That's 7 days food getting into MTR in the morn after your last b'fast food. Even if it is going to be one resupply between KM and VVR it's still only 174 miles. 7-8 days chow for a PCT NOBOer should be good. As said, you're not going to die having to ration out your last three days food supply especially if you munch out at KM. http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply-info.html

If you want to save the food wt and have to eat large on a daily basis and don't want to head into town to buy or pick up a mailed resupply box you can pay the $$$ to have the resupply stretch between KM and VVR broken up utilizing a stock outfitter at Onion Valley over scenic Kearsarge Pass left in a Bear Box or food left in a Bear Box at Crabtree meadow or possibly other drop off Bear Box locations.

I personally like to break the stretch up when MTR is closed by heading into town or picking up a mailed resupply box near a TH experiencing other awesomely scenic Sierra trails in the process other than sticking to backpacking the PCT/JMT like a run away freight train through some of the most scenic high elevation mountainous backpacking in the Lower 48. Bishop Pass through Dusy Basin is another scenic out to S. Lake. Another option few avail themselves of is taking a short walk of the BUSY S. Lake TH to Parchers Resort who will hold a box for you(a fee applies without a stay) instead of heading all the way into town. Hardest and most intimidating part going out Bishop pass is the ascent right off the PCT(mostly well graded switchbacks). Great views though! If this is your first PCT/JMT/Sierra rodeo enjoy as much of it as you can!

Other outs to resupply but not going to regurgitate all of them unless you do some research first and have specific questions about those outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I hiked KM to VVR in one shot but I didn't carry a canister in that section. In spite of what you may read it is not required. There are bear boxes at various places and canisters are not required everywhere. I am not advocating one way or another but your base assumption is wrong. My plan was to pick up my canister at VVR but the resupply didn't come. IF it did then I would have been 100% legal through the entire Sierra...

PLEASE elaborate how you did this legally! You did this staying on the JMT/PCT? Last Bear Box on the JMT/PCT going NOBO south of VVR is at the Woods Creek Tr junction near the suspension bridge I know of(Maybe I'm not recalling Bear Box Storage elsewhere on the JMT/PCT?) more than a 80 JMT/PCT trail miles to VVR which is more than a day's hike even for a 30 mile + per day hiker. Did you stay at MTR for a night using their storage facilities? By late June/early July a NP Ranger is typically posted at Le Conte Ranger Station at the Bishop Pass/JMT/PCT junction and MAYBE McClure Meadow and or wandering the JMT/PCT checking for bear canisters and permits.

Journal Entries

They dont ever check for cannisters.
    They politely ask if you have one.

You're wrong! YES, NP Rangers do. First, they usually ask out of politeness if they don't immediately observe one. I've had them knock on my backpack to see if I had one. At the same time they look for your permit. If they don't immediately see either expect some inquiry!

Regardless, bears, those smart capable Sierra black bears, getting food creates a problem bear creating a problem situation between bears and people resulting in a usual death sentence for the bear as a result of HUMAN IGNORANCE and DISREGARD FOR THE LAW!

More implications of skirting around the laws?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    They dont ever check for cannisters.
    They politely ask if you have one.
    Ranger asked me to tap on mine.....after checking permit in Lyle canyon...farther down trail I actually slept 50 feet from the McClure meadow ranger station had coffee with ranger and never asked about can or permit.....you never know....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    PLEASE elaborate how you did this legally! You did this staying on the JMT/PCT? Last Bear Box on the JMT/PCT going NOBO south of VVR is at the Woods Creek Tr junction near the suspension bridge I know of(Maybe I'm not recalling Bear Box Storage elsewhere on the JMT/PCT?) more than a 80 JMT/PCT trail miles to VVR which is more than a day's hike even for a 30 mile + per day hiker. Did you stay at MTR for a night using their storage facilities? By late June/early July a NP Ranger is typically posted at Le Conte Ranger Station at the Bishop Pass/JMT/PCT junction and MAYBE McClure Meadow and or wandering the JMT/PCT checking for bear canisters and permits.
    The required canister area is south of Pinchot if I remember correctly. The area around Whitney requires a canister or FOR PCT HIKERS the use of the bear boxes. I got this directly from the backcountry ranger and confirmed with SEKI headquarters. This does not apply for JMT hikers, I suspect due to numbers. Things may have changed but at least in 2011 there was a boatload of wrong information listed. Also, canisters are required in Yosemite, no exceptions. There is no practical way to avoid canisters in Yosemite and do it legally.

Here was the info as of 2011. Unfortunately the map of required areas is no longer found. This is the best collection of areas that require canisters

http://kittredgesports.com/backpacki...king_index.php

here is exactly how things stood as of 2011.

http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pac...no-Bears/19654

I'm not a thu-hiker, just a 500+miles hiker. I will start at Walker Pass end of June

I don't want to leave the trail and waste time in town.
    MTR seems to be a good option to reduce my food weight. That makes the whole food storage in a BV500 more manageable.

Images

I'm not a thu-hiker, just a 500+miles hiker. I will start at Walker Pass end of June

I don't want to leave the trail and waste time in town.
    MTR seems to be a good option to reduce my food weight. That makes the whole food storage in a BV500 more manageable.
    I would recommend MTR over VVR ESPECIALLY with your statement of wasting time in town. Make sure to hit the hot spring across the river from MTR. It will feel great on a tired body.

I've done KM -> VVR twice, without a bear can, it took roughly 8 days. You'd be insane to use Malto's 7 day as norm. He's an animal. VVR to Whitney would be a no brainer.

3 times I've been asked if I had a canister by rangers. NO was my response all 3 times and that was the end of it.

MTR is now $75 this year for holding your package. That's it. No shower, no meal, nothing. Go to VVR, it's awesome, pricey and part of the experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++