WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

"Switchback - NOBO '06" MyFeetHurt's Avatar

Default Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed - game changer!

Anyone else use this beauty? I'm late to the game but man has this thing changed sleeping in a tent for me. I'm a restless side/stomach sleeper and mummies have always been uncomfortable. This baby is like a whole new world. I can be warm AND comfortable out in the Woods? Getouttahere....

Interesting design. A bit on the heavy side, but love the idea of this design.

My problem with this idea is that a quilt is so much simpler and lighter for backpacking. These seem like they still have many of the disadvantages of a sleeping bag without all the benefits while still not providing all the benefits of a quilt either. But then, I've never tried one either.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

"Switchback - NOBO '06" MyFeetHurt's Avatar

I've never used a quilt, so I can comment on any comparisons between the two, but one aspect I really like about the Backcountry Bed is that there's no need to fiddle with keeping covered (if that makes sense). You slide a pad in and you stick your legs into the bottom (which are always fully covered - that may be confining to some but I've not found it to be; there's also a slick little foot vent if you get a little warm in the footbox) and then the quilt can be easily cinched in around your upper body when temps drop. Even cinched thusly it doesn't feel near as cramped as all the mummies I've used, and the fact that I can quickly un-cinch that upper bit when getting warm and just use it as a blanket is awesome. And all the movement I do while sleeping (mostly from one side to the stomach to the other side, and back...) is available and consistently comfortable.

And I suppose it's a bit heavy for today's standards, though not by a ton and it packs down small enough to easily fit into my backpack. I'm excited to see what future models look like, as this is certainly a good base for future designs. I just can't imagine going back to a standard zip up mummy after using this.

I like the idea of this too and I also hate being confined in a mummy bag. The plan is to hike with my wife. We're only going to do section hikes and will use either a 2 or 3 person tent with inflatable sleeping pads. Neither of us can sleep well in a mummy bag and I was leaning toward quilts. Also,we'll only be using 48L packs and I wonder if this is too bulky. It sure is appealing.

++ New Posts ++