WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water Storage

A take away from the Gerry Largay case. Water is essential for life, things happen, to have enough water readily available to my way of thinking is in fact one of the hikers 10 essential items, stoveless or not.

I'm doing much the same. two 20 oz Gatorade bottles for drinking from while hiking. Two 900 mL Evernew bladders for carrying larger amounts if needed. I prefer two small bags so there is a backup in case one pops. Using a Sawyer filter, one is for dirty water and one is for clean water (well marked). I may or may not bring the 1 gal silnylon water "bucket".

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    ...I like having my 3L Platy bag near full, late in the day... it confers a great deal of freedom.
    And to me, the ability to camp somewhere with 0.5L confers a different type of freedom. It all depends on your point of view, and your goals for a hiking trip.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    And to me, the ability to camp somewhere with 0.5L confers a different type of freedom. It all depends on your point of view, and your goals for a hiking trip.
    Not my cup of tea. Gotta have my two cups of tea, and that's a half liter right there.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    A take away from the Gerry Largay case. Water is essential for life, things happen, to have enough water readily available to my way of thinking is in fact one of the hikers 10 essential items, stoveless or not.
    but even thoughs have come under scrutiny these.
    compass
    map
    matches
    first aid kit

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I just bought one of these, https://www.rei.com/product/847589/s...c:cse_PLA_GOOG

Expensive, but 1 ounce holds 10 liters folds to nothing
    I purchased one of these but found it too cumbersome to actually use since it is not free standing.Maybe I am just dense.At any rate I have not ruined my long standing reputation of always" buying the wrong thing first".I do like my overpriced MSR gravity bag though............Yeah,I know I could go get the kit from Arrowhead and convert the other one to a gravity bag.At least then I would be able to get water out of it at that point.I must point out that it does make a nice light weight tote for Sawyer or other manufacturer's bags.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Buckets are fine, but still require you camp relatively near a water source.

With a couple Platypus you can camel-up and look for a dry camp 1/4 mile (or whatever) beyond.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities beyond those available to the majority of hikers who cannot conceive of camping even that short a distance away from water.
    This is not necessarily true. I carry my bucket as a luxury item - It doesn't dictate where I camp. For 1oz it allows me the ability to get comfortable, so I don't have to stand out in the rain or perch precariously on rocks while I filter water. I have an empty bottle that I fill (in addition to topping off my water) toward the end of my day. This covers my hydration and cooking needs for the night and leaves me ready to go in the morning. It also means I am free to camp away from water sources where people and animals are likely to gather at some point in the night. Camping near water is nice sometimes, but I would often rather not deal with the condensation, bugs, etc.

I am not saying everyone would want to carry the extra ounce (bucket) or Platypus for night water, but it is an option for some. The bucket also doesn't have to be thought of as a tether to a water source.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    This is not necessarily true....The bucket also doesn't have to be thought of as a teth
    Well said. My larger point is that many (most) AT hikers will only camp near water, but there may be other options worth considering.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Well said. My larger point is that many (most) AT hikers will only camp near water, but there may be other options worth considering.
    I do have to agree that many on the AT seem to feel the need to camp on top of water sources.

Like most herd animals... The human is known to congregate around the watering hole.

I tend to fill up my water bags in the mid afternoon so I have the option of camping where ever I want. I like to have the flexibility to hike as much or as little as I want, and I often don't know when that quitting time will be until it happens.

Everenew carry bladders are great quality and a perfect fit for the sawyer mini.

I love this forum! Just lurking, but thanks everyone for the water tips and to the OP who posted this!

Find a restaurant like Qudoba Mexican Grill or Moe's that does take out or delivered lunches for businesses. I pickedup a one gallon plastic bag that had ice tea in it and it works great. Weight is less than 2 oz and it rolls up.

Campmor has a 1 gallon collapsable container (reliance). It's about 5oz....but it's cheap!! 6 or 7 dollars. I like to fill this when I get to camp. It's enough for use in camp and to fill bottles when I'm leaving

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++