Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bridgeport to Sonora Pass shuttle

I'm going to section hike from Sonora Pass and wanted to take the Eastern Sierra Transit shuttle from Reno to Bridgeport but need a shuttle to Sonora Pass. Does anyone know any options there in September?

Thank you!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Just hitch. We got a ride in like 10 minutes.

I carry a little american flag to wave when hitching.

I love reading this, because I used to live in Bridgeport. Not many people can say that. In fact, I met and married my husband there. That was 20 yeas ago, though. so I can't offer any advice. When I lived there, there wan't any shuttle, but if you hang out at at Ken's Sporting Goods on Main Street in Bridgeport, you might get somebody to give you a ride.......They are mostly fisherfolk, though. Sonora Pass is absolutely gorgeous in the fall. Have a wonderful hike!

Thank you so much for the help!

Images

Burger got extremely lucky scoring a ride in 10 minutes. That hitch is notorious for taking a while but I would recommend that approach as well. I have had to hitch twice in that area. One took about an hour and the second one was the first car, I literally stood in the road waving but that is another story.

You are picking a great time to hike that section. Gorgeous area.

Hitch a ride standing at the corner of Hwy 395 and Hwy 108. Most folk are heading over Sonora Pass if they are turning at this T intersection. I've seen Shuttle pamphlets/biz cards tacked to walls at Bodie Inn and Silver Maple Inn but have never employed a shuttle service to get to Sonora Pass. Lots of locals stop in at the Bridgeport General Store(decent resupply!) where I'd seek a ride too.

Here's another option unless you're all gung ho on the PCT only. Hitch a ride, which IMHO is just as easy as or maybe easier than hitching to Sonora Pass, to Mono Village/Arnetts Resort past Twin Lakes Resort where there is a restaurant, busy CG's, and northern terminus TH of the Sierra High Route. It's nice trail all the way to much higher elevation with connecting trail to the PCT from which you can hike SOBO or NOBO. My suggestion would be to hike the PCT SOBO into Tuolumne Meadows or once in the TM area veer off on nice awesomely scenic trail to Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. Very nice rather under utilized area of Yosemite NP.

Dogwood. Thanks for a great suggestion. If anyone else is interested, this map will help explain: http://i0.wp.com/onthetrail.org/wp-c...HSR_500Kv2.jpg

Thank U for sharing that map noting the locations of the PCT, SHR, JMT, etc I've never seen that depicted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thank U for sharing that map noting the locations of the PCT, SHR, JMT, etc I've never seen that depicted.
    Agree, I have hiked all those trails but never saw this laid out together. It gives a few interesting alternatives for the permit challenged JMT hikers who can handle off trail.

My pleasure. Credit goes to this website: http://onthetrail.org/trekking/shr/

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Agree, I have hiked all those trails but never saw this laid out together. It gives a few interesting alternatives for the permit challenged JMT hikers who can handle off trail.
    Loops Loops. I'd like to overlay that with Andrew's Kings Canyon High Basin Route coming up with a monster multi month Sierra hike involving as much of all them on one hike. My plate is so freakin full right now though. Sierra always excite me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Loops Loops. I'd like to overlay that with Andrew's Kings Canyon High Basin Route coming up with a monster multi month Sierra hike involving as much of all them on one hike. My plate is so freakin full right now though. Sierra always excite me.
    Not to go off on too much of a tangent.... I have wondered if a muti-month Sierra hike could be done almost as a thruhike but a little more wandering like you suggest. The permit would be interesting when asked where you're staying each night but the logistical challenges would be interesting. While there are several resupply points, finding a route that don't repeat many miles while utilizing those points could be a fascinating challenge. I may have to tape together all my Sierra maps and start lining out a hike. Retirement can't come fast enough.

Dogwood. I'm going to take your suggestion and start with the SHR. If it's fun I may keep going instead of the PCT.

The question I have is, do I need a Hoover Wilderness Permit in addition to my PCT permit? Or does the PCT permit allow me to enter the trail via the SHR?

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    Dogwood. I'm going to take your suggestion and start with the SHR. If it's fun I may keep going instead of the PCT.

The question I have is, do I need a Hoover Wilderness Permit in addition to my PCT permit? Or does the PCT permit allow me to enter the trail via the SHR?

Thanks!
    I don't believe a PCT permit is valid for anything but the PCT.

Makes sense. Is it a Hoover Wilderness Permit I would need then?

Bump. Will I just need a Hoover Wilderness Permit to start a southbound hike of the Sierra High Route?

Images

Bump. Will I just need a Hoover Wilderness Permit to start a southbound hike of the Sierra High Route?
    I believe you would get the permit from INYO NF. Here is the link. You would need a permit because you will going into YNP and SEKI. http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/pas...its/recreation

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I believe you would get the permit from INYO NF. Here is the link. You would need a permit because you will going into YNP and SEKI. http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/pas...its/recreation
    Actual it looks like it is not INYO after all . http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/htnf/pas...its/recreation

Thanks!
    I did the SHR NOBO starting at Road's End in SEKC NP where the permit was issued by that NP that was good for the entire hike. For the SHR you get a permit issued by the jurisdiction in charge at your starting TH. I'm not positive about the legality of doing some of the PCT with a SHR permit. Technically legally pulling a SHR permit is only good for the SHR. FWIW though it's my best guess you wouldn't be hassled by anyone if you demonstrate a SHR Permit and decide to tackle a bit of the PCT as an aside because of an "emergency" ahh, getting lost, slightly injured, some food fell in a stream, etc. That's just my opinion NOT a fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++