Default Knowing where to be when weather hits

I've been caught in SoCal storms as late as early May that reveal my gear to be inadequate. The gear most thru hikers carry wont be enough to be safe, let alone comfortable, should the weather turn. So, it is imperitive to be aware of the weather forecast. If you see a hot streak coming get high. If you see a rain storm coming get low. At a certain point of either extreme know when to get off the trail.

There are various places along the trail where cell reception is adequate enough that you can check the weather. At the very least check in town.

Right now I'm watching it snow in Julian. Yesterday my tent was almost destroyed by wind gusts. I'm glad I check the weather on my way down from Mt. Laguna. I'll head into the San Felipe hills tomorrow after the wind dies down. It should be nice and cool sans 50 mph winds. The San Felipe hills can be hell. I dont envy the herd that passes through a month from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    I've been caught in SoCal storms as late as early May that reveal my gear to be inadequate. The gear most thru hikers carry wont be enough to be safe, let alone comfortable, should the weather turn. So, it is imperitive to be aware of the weather forecast. If you see a hot streak coming get high. If you see a rain storm coming get low. At a certain point of either extreme know when to get off the trail.

There are various places along the trail where cell reception is adequate enough that you can check the weather. At the very least check in town.

Right now I'm watching it snow in Julian. Yesterday my tent was almost destroyed by wind gusts. I'm glad I check the weather on my way down from Mt. Laguna. I'll head into the San Felipe hills tomorrow after the wind dies down. It should be nice and cool sans 50 mph winds. The San Felipe hills can be hell. I dont envy the herd that passes through a month from now.
    Thanks for that very important information. Most people don't really pay eanough attention to the weather forecast. This could ruin you outdoor experience.

Forget cell reception. You own't have it when/where you need it, or your batteries will be dead.

Carry a small radio that gets NOAA weather stations. My wife and I carry Baofeng UHF/VHF radios. You can also communicate if you are licensed (not a bad idea). Mine weighs 227 g in a durable rubber case.

So far I've only done section 1, Campo to Warner Springs, but I had cell service (AT&T) just about the whole way.

I've been in a few of those terrible wind storms out in CA.
    I've learned to just collapse the tent, wrap yourself up in it, and go back to sleep.
    Sitting up with it trying to save it from blowing down is just a lost cause.

Never was one to worry about what the weatherman predicted.
    He proved himself wrong to me too many times (and I NEVER heard him apologize for it)

Take it as it comes.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    I've been caught in SoCal storms as late as early May that reveal my gear to be inadequate. The gear most thru hikers carry wont be enough to be safe, let alone comfortable, should the weather turn. So, it is imperitive to be aware of the weather forecast. . .
    Yep, storms happen. If you're out there, you'd better be prepared. However, I would suggest that depending on a weather forecast for safety (therefore thinking it is needed) is pretty fool hardy. I would also suggest that planning on being comfortable in extreme conditions implies that you are planning on being uncomfortable (too much weight) for the 95% of your hike that isn't extreme conditions.

I would hope (actually I'm fairly certain) that my 10'ish lb base weight kit will keep me comfortable in expected 3-season conditions (~95% of the time), somewhat uncomfortable in less likely but not unexpected conditions (~4.9% of the time) and miserable, but alive in the most extreme conditions (0.1% of the time). All, with or without a weather forecast.

So, I guess I am wanting to argue with you that although weather awareness and knowledge of possible weather extremes is imperative, weather forecasts are not imperative, and if you are responsibly equipped with appropriate skills and gear, a weather forecast, although convenient, is a luxury item and not needed to be able to backpack ultra-light.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I was out there in those winds coming down from Mt. Laguna, too. I think I could have found a sheltered spot, but I was freaked out by gusts so strong I could not hardly stay standing upright. I almost got blown off that hanglider memorial spot. I bailed out to Sunrise Highway near Sunrise Trailhead and went to Julian. When I returned to the trail, I met many people who did find sheltered spots to camp. Now I felt like a wimp. You just gotta be smart, know when to bail or know how to find a suitable site.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Latest storm was last weekend in the Sierra- supposed to get 3 feet of snow. I was section hiking further south but drove up to sit out the rain south at the Whitney hostel. There was a couple thru hikers there who got off the trail because of the storm. They started 2/28 and had been on snow shoes for only a day before getting out at mulkey pass. They had to hike down to lone pine from up there. Sure made sense to me.

what was hilarious to me is they watched Andy of Mayberry pretty much nonstop. They were probably about 25 and had never seen the show which ended in the 70s. I further astonished them by telling them opie was Ron Howard.

i think they must be the leading edge.

++ New Posts ++