WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana NEW VIDEO: How To Carry Water Bottles On Your Shoulder Straps

This video shows how to build and use the 2 pieces needed to hold water bottles on backpack shoulder straps.

I have been asked this question a number of times and I have always had to point to a video from the fall of 2014, half-way in the middle of it. I finally got around to making it a separate video. I hope the makes it easier to find.

Thanks for watching,

Rob

Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice mod. Thanks for sharing.

Golite's way from 15 years ago is pretty easy...velcro strap around mid bottle and shock cord loop over the top.

And I just use two shock cords which on rare occasions will drop a smooth smart bottle, but holds Gatorade bottles well more stably than the hook and line, and is a little easier to put the bottle on and of with. It would be fun to catalog all the different methods people use.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
    Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for giving it a view!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    Nice mod. Thanks for sharing.
    Let me know if you try this out, it is my favorite way to carry my water.

Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    Golite's way from 15 years ago is pretty easy...velcro strap around mid bottle and shock cord loop over the top.
    Nice, I hadn't see this before. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    And I just use two shock cords which on rare occasions will drop a smooth smart bottle, but holds Gatorade bottles well more stably than the hook and line, and is a little easier to put the bottle on and of with. It would be fun to catalog all the different methods people use.
    I agree, I would like to see a list of all the options!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

ULA packs come with this installed, love to carry this way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    ULA packs come with this installed, love to carry this way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Mine never held good on my circuit so I modified the top as he did but used the bottom one that already there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why, ULA, won't you make your silly little rubber bands adjustable vertically or removable? Why?
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why, ULA, won't you make your silly little rubber bands adjustable vertically or removable? Why?
    Wayne

They are certainly removeable. My son likes them, but I removed from all my ULA packs. Open the little black clip .

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

I removed top one but left bottom as on the video...the mitten hook works great w d ring but decided I don't like the crap hanging out front went back to using the side pockets....now use the shock cord to hold buff when not wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a non-elastic cord with two cordlocks. The second backs up the first, which can slip from time to time. I use Gatorade 20 oz bottles with a "waist" to hold the cord. I find 32 oz is too heavy. This is easy, light, reliable. Have done this with all my packs for more than a decade.

I have been thinking about attaching a couple water bottles to the front of my shoulder straps. Hydration bladders have been a fun game but it sucks when the hard plastic parts freeze and crack in the winter and there's something appealing about the inherent simplicity of a bottle. It also makes a lot of sense to move the water weight to the front. I got a couple titanium bottles that hold 22oz each that I'd like to use this way.

I don't have these but has anyone tried them?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

My wife made two sleeves from a cheapo neoprene laptop case. She sewed a loop of nylon webbing to the top of the tubular bottle sleeves so that the bottles hang from a small carabiner that attaches to a loop on my shoulder straps. The bottle-&-sleeve combo then fits into the poles loop on my Osprey and this stops the bottle from swaying too much.
    I can reach down and easily pull the bottle up to take a swig from it, especially if I take it out of the poles loop but leave it in the neoprene sleeve.
    Great!

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    My wife made two sleeves from a cheapo neoprene laptop case. She sewed a loop of nylon webbing to the top of the tubular bottle sleeves so that the bottles hang from a small carabiner that attaches to a loop on my shoulder straps. The bottle-&-sleeve combo then fits into the poles loop on my Osprey and this stops the bottle from swaying too much.
    I can reach down and easily pull the bottle up to take a swig from it, especially if I take it out of the poles loop but leave it in the neoprene sleeve.
    Great!

How about a couple photos of this setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    How about a couple photos of this setup!

You're fortunate to have a wife that can see this for you!

I've been carrying water bottles as seen in WB User Lazarus' user pic for more than 8 yrs. Carrying water like this in an UL pack helps balance out the wt of the entire load, which is nice with a no suspension pack or with a virtual suspension pack, 2) can put it more readily at hand to drink on the go than say in a side pocket 3) allows the volume that would be used inside or in an outside pocket to be used for something else or possibly allowing to switch to a lower volume hopefully lower wt pack 4) keeps one from twisting possibly loosing balance or eye contact with the trail while drinking on the go(ever see someone fall as a result of trying too get a water bottle out of a pack's side pocket or as they search for the bite on something like a Camelbak?, I have several times).

I've used a NiteZ #2 S Biner (3 gram(0.11 oz)) with a screw capped loop bottle top in plastic attached at the D-ring my packs usually come stock with on the shoulder strap(ULA) as seen in this photo as the top attachment. https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Plastic.asp. As the bottom attachment I like looping a 3/8" wide short section of velcro that encloses and releases(opens up) under the should step webbing. ULA's founder and previous owner Brian Frankel was/has been using this system for more yr's than I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    You're fortunate to have a wife that can see this for you!
    Indeed!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++