WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking help a great 2-3 Day Section Hike with My 68yo Dad in NC/TN

Newbie here. I did 30 miles from Franklin to NOC last June with cousins and an uncle. My dad (68) didn't come because he was concerned about slowing us down and he had an orthopedic foot issue.

For 68, my dad's in pretty good shape and walks a few miles every day. Last year he did a four mile day hike with me, with no problem. He has talked about wanting to hike the AT for years, but something always gets in the way. I know he really wanted to come last year but he's worried about injuries (he has atrial fibrillation and takes blood thinners, etc.) and is probably worried about widowing my mom, to be honest!

Anyway, my goal is to get him on the trail for a father-son weekend (it's really now or never) but in a as low-stress environment as possible. Maybe a day of hiking (6-7 miles) then a day in-town then a day hiking?

I will happily take the tent, food, water, etc. whatever, but what other suggestions do you have to make this a great trip for him and to ease his mind?

Mostly a relatively elder-friendly and scenic section of the trail, not too remote? Ideas to lighten the load?

Thanks in advance.

This is a great idea and I hope you get to do it. I am always a fan of Grayson Highlands. You can park in the state park which is at around 3500 ft, have a short uphill, and then you are there at elevation. You can do an easy out and back, hike a loop, or base camp for a couple of nights. Or you can just camp at the state park front country campground and hike some day loops.

Images

Great post. I was about to post something for my 67 year old dad coming in town. I second, Mr Bumpy on Grayson highlands. It is beautiful

Go to Elk Park, NC and get a shuttle to take you up to Roan Mountain (at Carvers Gap) and hike north back to Hwy 19, where the shuttle company, at the hostel, is about 2/10th a mile from the AT. This is a beautiful mountain top hike of 14 miles, of which most is wide open views seemingly forever. The last 4 miles is downhill, rocky and tough, but worth it.

Are Mary & Terry still operating the B&B with the hiker barn? I spent a night in that barn during a snow storm. It was fantastic!

Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I assume you're wanting something nearby. Too bad, because Maryland or Shenandoah would be great options.
    If this is a one-time opportunity, now or never, then Grayson or the Roan Highlands are probably your best choices within a half-day drive.
    If you want closer than that, you're sort of stuck with the Georgia/NC hills. They ain't easy, but you can go at whatever pace he can manage.

Graysons highlands is beautiful!

Great idea!! I am 67 and like your Dad walk some everyday, but am not in 3 mile per hour shape. My daughter and I hiked from Max Patch to Hot Springs N.C. a couple of weeks ago in 3 days, 2 nights. Total of 20 miles with only 2 uphill sections that were relatively short Walnut and Bluff Mountain. Could be hiked in many configurations. We did 7, 10 and 3.5 miles. The mostly downhill stretch from Bluff Mountain to Hot Springs was the toughest part for me (knees). A beautiful hike. The views from Max Patch are some of the prettiest I have ever seen! Again, great idea!!

Second the Grayson Highlands/Roan Mountain area. Its a drive, but worth every mile. I'm going to be 75 in June, have had quad bypass and cancer, but am section hiking the AT. Will be leaving at the end of April to do a 70 mile section around Groseclose(don't you love that name). Hike your own hike at a pace that is comfortable to your body. Ignore the 20 somethings that are doing 20+miles per day. As Will Rogers once said,"the faster you go, the less you see!"

Images

I'm trying to come up with locations that are relatively easy but still scenic, and within a reasonable driving time from Birmingham.

The best I can come up with is to call The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA, and talk with them about their hostel-hiking plan. This is where they drop you off on the trail in the morning, pick you up in the afternoon, and you stay at the hostel at night. When I looked at it several years ago, it was not as expensive as I expected. The trail in Georgia has some nice scenic spots, and there are a lot of places where you could hike for 5 or 6 miles then get picked up, and do another section the following day, etc. This could also let your dad figure out his ability for steep climbs before having to actually do one (you could hike Springer to Three Forks on day one, for example, which is a long gradual downhill). I'm sure they will have some ideas for sections if you want to do one overnight on the trail, too.

Good luck. This is a nice idea, and one that I wish I could do with my dad.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Since you're from Bham, have you considered the Sypsy Wilderness? It's only about an hour or so from Birmingham and has several loop options with not much elevation change.

Otherwise, I'm mostly familier with the Smokies. Most of those trails are going to have some serious hills, but one hike I did with an older gentleman was to get a shuttle from Elkmont to Clingman's Dome. Hiked down Goshen prong. Lots of options as you can do that as a one night hike, or add a night at Double Spring shelter or one of the camp sites along little river.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to share your suggestions and ideas. I'll spend hours research these locations now, I know!

I feel certain he can do it, if we are patient and pace ourselves. As a retired air-traffic controller, he's just the most cautious/prepared man I know, and it usually serves him quite well.

Grayson Highlands is a bit far, being in VA but who knows...It may be worth it. I like the Hiker Hostel idea. Thanks again for the encouragement from the more seasoned hikers among us!

Snowbird Mountain near Max Patch is home to Snowbird VOR.

Mountain Harbor Bed & Breakfast in Roan Mountain is a great to anchor a hike - they will shuttle you to any trail head. Also if you need to pull off early there's an out at Over Mountain Shelter. Fantastic place to hike in spring. Mountainharbor.net

Tapatalk

Grayson highlands and Roan mtn section is well worth the drive....I did both driving from Fl...plan to do both again!!! My favorite AT sections on the southern AT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++