WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default ISO a more comfortable alternative to Thermo-rest prolite plus?

I've purchased quite a bit of gear over the last few months. Much of it on the advice of members on WB. I need to go to the well one more time. My Thermo-rest prolite plus sleeping pad just ain't cuttin' it. I am headed to REI tomorrow to find a more comfortable,lightweight alternative. I'd appreciate some suggestions.
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Images

I switched from a Prolite to a X-Therm. A bit tougher materials than the NeoAir model, but warmer too. 100% satisfied. Very comfortable compared to the Prolite. It is pricey, I used my REI dividend and 20% off coupon, plus the $100 gift card for signing up for the REI credit card to lower the price SUBSTANTIALLY.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I switched from a Prolite to a X-Therm. A bit tougher materials than the NeoAir model, but warmer too. 100% satisfied. Very comfortable compared to the Prolite. It is pricey, I used my REI dividend and 20% off coupon, plus the $100 gift card for signing up for the REI credit card to lower the price SUBSTANTIALLY.
    Thank you Lyle that's just the type of feedback I'm looking for. I've reviewed the specs. and that may just be what I'm looking for.
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Just did the same thing, $88 after coupon, dividend, and gift cards (I went with a Long for an extra 5" in either direction).
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

I love my Xtherm; I bought both the regular and long/wide. I prefer the long/wide by far. I'm looking to sell my regular Xtherm. Used once, perfect condition. No box or stuff sack and shipped in US through USPS priority and payment through PayPal. I'm asking $160, and it retails for $200 at REI. Go to REI and check it out, if you like it you can get it from me at a good price. Let me know.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I love my Xtherm; I bought both the regular and long/wide. I prefer the long/wide by far. I'm looking to sell my regular Xtherm. Used once, perfect condition. No box or stuff sack and shipped in US through USPS priority and payment through PayPal. I'm asking $160, and it retails for $200 at REI. Go to REI and check it out, if you like it you can get it from me at a good price. Let me know.
    Tundra, thank you for the offer it sounds like a good deal. I am headed to Georgia on Thursday. I am stepping off on Sunday morning.

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy!

love my xtherm, toasty and light!!!

Images

I switched on the trail from my Prolite 4 to a Neoair. It's half the weight, less than half the packed size, and much more comfortable, though it took a few nights to figure out the best inflation point.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

To give a different and less popular opinion, I personally find NeoAirs to be significantly less comfortable than the ProLite Plus. Nothing beats an open cell foam (self-inflating) pad for comfort. Air mattresses have the problem of when one area is pressed down on, the other parts push up, etc. making the whole affair feel not so nice. The ProLite Plus is a good balance with relatively low weight too. A BaseCamp is more comfy but too heavy. I wanted a winter-worthy mat, and the ProLite Plus simply wasn't warm enough. I ended up going with an Exped Downmat UL 7, which reduces weight and bulk, and gives me more insulation. If you are going to go with an air mattress, I find the vertical baffles a lot more comfortable than the horizontal ones that Therm-a-Rest uses.

++ New Posts ++